1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon Unveils $199 Kindle Fire Tablet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

not thinner

not better screen. it has a touchscreen so the screen will be worse.

battery has not changed, just their marketing.

Also with the touch, I don't see any page turn buttons like every other kindle has had. This means you have to use two hands to turn pages and seems pretty lame.

#41 Bandwagoner, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I have an old man question too, even though I'm not old, just not tech savvy. Does this thing have a word processor (like Microsoft Word) and could I get a separate attachable keyboard? I'm looking for something that I can download some textbooks on and then type all my notes on it as well. Thanks

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Amazon is calling it lighter and smaller, regardless.

And there's no reason it being a touchscreen makes it 'worse'.

I do wish there were page turn buttons, but still...how small are your hands? tapping it from the side is no different than pressing the button with the hand you are holding it with.

20 bucks more for the newer model, IMO, it only makes sense to go with the Touch

The wifi models work just like a laptop, just need a wireless access point. The 3G models have the ability to use a wireless network like a cell phone would, and without the data plan cost more monthly fees.

There are some negatives, sure, but I think it's more than offset by the price. Looking at the videos out there, the UI looks smooth and solid, there will be app and OS support, so I think the shortcomings compared to the full blown Android or iOS tablets is worth the sacrifice for only $199.

The Fire may have some functionality like that at some point (particularly as more accessories come out), but none of the standard ereaders will

#43 Coach AI, Sep 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

It is smaller and lighter because they cut off the actual keyboard.

It is thicker.

Tapping on the screen is harder to do.

The touchscreen is worse. It puts a little layer of plastic on top of the screen. this hurts how the page looks and also has potential to create glare. Both screens are E-Ink pearl screens with same specs. New one is hindered by having a touchscreen on top of it. That's worse. Not to mention fingerprints.

This touchscreen crap is pure marketing, rarely useful or time saving if you are mainly reading on the E-READER.

The base Kindle looks like a steal if you are not interested in 3G though.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

If it includes the Amazon App store (Which it should), they have word processing apps that should to the trick for you. As for keyboard, I'm not too sure on it's accessories.

6. Coach AI

None of the videos I've seen make the screen look any 'worse'. Don't know the tech yet, but this may be a different type of integration. Certainly Amazon is still talking up no glare problems.

[​IMG]

This isn't an LCD touchscreen tablet...that's the Fire. Also, 'tapping the screen is hard' doesn't seem very logical, IMO.

#46 Coach AI, Sep 28, 2011
  7. Bandwagoner

Yeah I mean any touchscreen uses a layer on top of whatever screen you have. More stuff on top of the screen means worse screen especially so for E-Ink which has no back light to blast through the fingerprints or extra thick covering.

It might not be hard to use a touchscreen to turn a page but it requires more effort, and isn't as reliable as just pushing a button that is sleek and built into the bezel.

I think the Touch models are for everyone who instantly dismissed the Kindle because it didn't have a touchscreen. everyone I show my Kindle too tries to touch the screen. that's fine.

the new basic Kindle looks awesome for cheap, and the Fire looks interesting. If my Kindle is lost I would buy another Kindle "Keyboard" 3G model.

8. Coach AI

Interestingly, Amazon makes a point of showing the basic Kindle has less battery life, along with less storage. Though that's never really been a problem on my Kindle 3, but it's still another reason I think that 20 dollar difference might go far.

I understand what you're saying about the screen, but so far all the hands on videos I've seen don't show much difference. And with Amazon still hyping no glare I'm less concerned about it.

But yeah, the touchscreen just seems like a natural extension IMO. Like you, everyone who ever uses my Kindle tries to use it like a touchscreen.

9. Bandwagoner

You also have to remember the Basic Kindle is significantly lighter and smaller than any of the other Kindles. The 20 dollar discount is just a bonus. It is a great entry level device. It will be very awkward to search for content with that sucker though.

To me the changes to the Touchscreen are unwelcome. Same price, less storage, funky new color, no buttons, I think people just assume they will want a Touchscreen.

10. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

I always wanted a Kindle mainly for the added benefit of their special offers. But it looks like they may be taking that into another direction and no more great offers. :(

11. what

what Member

I don't get calling something a kindle when it clearly isn't a kindle. What the hell is this lcd screens. False advertising.

12. Coach AI

Yeah, not having a keyboard or a touchpad seems like a pain to me.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

maybe you are looking for something called a laptop? :grin:

these are all media consumption devices..amazon wants to find an easy way for you to buy their mp3s and books.

14. Coach AI

No, we're talking about navigating around a book, or the built in store, or content searches in a book. All that stuff is handled currently with a keyboard + dpad type arrangement, but the new basic Kindle has neither the touchpad or the keyboard.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If it's not dual core, I think the Nook Color (2?) is/will be a better 'tablet' option.

16. Bandwagoner

Kindle Fire blows the Nook color out of the water. It isn't even close.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looking at the specs, it is a dual core. But what if the NC2 has comparable specs?

I'd assume NC2 would be more hackable to remove the 'bloatware'

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Do we assemble these things in the states?

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Why don't you do some Tier One research and find out, bro?

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a really good price point.