1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon TV] Fallout

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Oct 23, 2023.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Is there a big boobie vault.. Seems like that's the vault most men would want to experiment with and one we all need. What could go wrong.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The show was fun and I enjoyed it. I don't know anything about Fallout. Is the show following any of the games storylines or is it original?

daywalker02 and IBTL like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

As a big fan of the game, loved it.

Goggins and his character are outstanding and significantly elevated the show

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Salvy

Salvy Member

If you could chose one game to understand what is going on which would you chose? I'm thinking of getting Fallout 4 on steam because the pictures show the same outfits from the show, everyone seems to love New Vegas thou...

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd recommend starting with Fallout 3. That's my favorite one. If you really valued modern gameplay, I'd go with 4. NV is great but 3 or 4 would do a much better job at giving an understanding of the franchise IMO.

Salvy likes this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Fallout 3 and 4 it is..... Thanks!!!!

7. Buck Turgidson

Why can't "you", and I know this is strange to you types, just watch the show starting with episode 1...and then watch episode 2... and continue from there?

do you really need to know the story and plot and whatnot before you watch something?

IBTL likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I played the game in 2009, I think you responded to the wrong person

Buck Turgidson and daywalker02 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That would be one with a heck of a low chance of survival.......

While vault inhabitants are not as strong as those living on the surface, they have to abide by rules to survive and deal with invaders such as raiders, monsters.......

Distractions like hypersexualized females would not cut it.

Someone like Steph would probably be the limit of what you can offer, a blonde killer type who can handle herself. Fertile for reproduction.

#89 daywalker02, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

i played 4 first then 3. I will replay 4 when they drop the PS5 version (I believe next week). I appreciated that in 4 you start the prologue/tutorial in your former life and move into the vault. For someone that wasn't real familiar with the premise it helped to understand what was kind of going on. I think that may be part of the reason why people that haven't experienced the game don't care for the series. It kind of explains it, but not really in depth until you are a little ways into the series.

All of the games are pretty much stand alone stories. The premise is the same Nuclear war, go to the vaults, emerge chaos ensues. the Series kind of follows this premise with a setting similar to Fallout 1 but set well later than the game. The ending hints that season 2 will have some call backs to New Vegas.

Salvy and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don’t know anything another the game. When is season 2?

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Finished the show yesterday, and I liked it quite a bit. I've played some of the games, but not a hardcore Fallout guy. Feels like they nailed the vibes of the games, and I think the actual writing/storytelling is probably better than what I remember (mostly Bethesda stuff...which is usually fine but not amazing). I think some hardcore Fallout people are upset about some timeline stuff. Fair enough, but I don't think it is a big deal overall.

I'm happy that Hollywood has figured out you can make good adaptations of video games...and it turns out sticking relatively close to the source material is actually a *good* idea.

clos4life, Rocket River and Andre0087 like this.
  13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It is an original storyline that is definitely set in the game universe and locations. Locations and factions are referenced in the show straight from the games as well as several plot elements. Each Fallout game is pretty "stand alone" from a storyline perspective, set in the same Universe...this show is sort of a continuation of that theme.

As referenced in other posts, the timeline gets a little sticky and may have been retconned some, but for the most part its not a big deal.

I really enjoyed a couple of the Fallout games in Bethesda's hay day, but I'm not a huge in Universe story fanboy or anything, so to tell the truth, other than the general lore and look/feel (which they nailed) I couldn't tell you if the show violated any major game plotlines.

They really did nail the viscous dark humor of the games though.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, I've only played one of the versions, but it was kind of uncanny watching the show because I kept getting a very specific feeling of deja vu connected to the angles of some of the shots and the setting.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah, the reason I want to play at least one of the games is because I feel there are things that should be more meaningful but that I don't really care about. Like the arm computer thing or the dog that I think the guy from Lost can control with his mind or something.... I'm only 1 episode and a half in and enjoyed the part in the vault more but once she left I found myself losing interest. Sooooo many shows have done post apocalyptic wasteland everything goes type thing so I'm not finding any value in this, especially after just getting Twisted Metal last year which in my opinion was more entertaining than Fallout.

I still want to finish the season thou and play one of the games.....

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have a PS4 or 5 Fallout 4 is part of the Sony spring sale. You can get the game($4.99) and all 6 DLC modules for like $40. That ends the day before the PS5 upgrade releases. You can also play it on PS+ Extra but I don;t think the Ps5 version will be available for that.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't have PS but I do have PC and steam is also running sale for Fallout 4 at 4.99, don't think I'll get the dlc but the game for sure I will... At 4.99 for a game so many people love I'm sure is a safe bet....

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Christopher Nolan's brother who created Westworld did some work with the all the secret plots and what hides behind Vault 31 Stuff.

It felt like it is not 100% how a game would narrate the story and it is good that it is a well made TV Show that happened to have several Fallout characters, setting, etc......

The old Hollywood flair and Coop Howard's Spaghetti Western hero......did the rest for me.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just wanted to say that whomever wrote...

the sequence for the original Knight Titus did a great job of implimenting the writer's axiom "show, don't tell". Unless you knew already, when Maximus pulled off Tutus' helmet, you had no idea that whiny, squeaky Rappaport voice was inside.

And once you were confronted that, there was never going to be any questioning of why Thaddius didn't recognize Maximus' voice in the power armor. Without that Michael Rappaport reveal, Im guessing that would have been a big complaint from watchers.

Skillfuly written.

They "showed" that you couldn't recognize the voice rather than wasting 5 minutes "telling" you with awkward exposion.

#99 Ottomaton, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I played FO1,2 and Tactics. Couldn't get into 3, just wasn't the same and roaming around just wasn't my cup of tea. Mean to play New Vegas at some point. Having said that, the writing on this show really lines up with the original games, sometimes serious, sometimes zany, always hilarious even in middle of the darkest moments. I've seen the whole season as well and it's all I ever wanted of a Fallout TV show.