1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

1st episode out. Of the young kid actors, the Mat guy might be the best , but hes the one they recast for next season..... The Rand actor seems horrible. stiff as a board.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

7/10 through 3 episodes.

- The visual effects, towns, and landscapes are captivating.
    - The plot is generally easy to follow as is who is who, and the cliffhangers are enough of a draw where I want to find out what will happen next.
    - The white faced creatures pretty fun and the Black shadow castle was interesting.

Not so much
    - The characters and character interactions are left wanting. The cast is ok, they are not dreadful, but nobody stands out except maybe the red head. It's too late to re-cast, but they should think about it.
    - I would have preferred the characters embark on their own paths first, and then come together, rather than stick together.
    - There is a little too much shiot happening to characters that is deemed important, but I won't tell you why, ok, I'm fine with that... stuff in there. In real life, questions are asked. You don't have a vampire bat come out of your mouth and you don't talk about it. Or, I'm not gonna tell anyone about a sacred dagger I found.

Predicting the Dragon Born: As far as who is the dragon kid, my gut always tells me to take the least likely character, but in this case I don't see one, so I think it will be the red head dude and they will keep it simple. He doesn't seem to have a power yet other than very strong. And I'm thinking red hair. Red Dragon. Otherwise why risk casting a red head as the lead. Although, I am wondering if the wheel, whatever the fock that is, will mean that all of these kids are the same person from different times.

#82 PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Really looking forward to this! Am I really the only one who still feels the ending of GoT wasn't that bad? I was so worried about a cliche ending where the "good ones" win and stay together all happily ever after and the "bad ones" die. This did happen in a way, but with a few twists nobody probably saw coming, most made sense and the way it came about was cool for the most part. Can someone explain in a coherent way if possible why the ending was not to your liking?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Any good or mixed?

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haven't watched this yet but have Amazon Prime. Will probably binge it after it gets through the first season.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Watched all three episodes. Not following the books exactly, fight scenes are good, not liking the actors playing Mat and Perrin.

The first book did have a lot of action but the middle of the series just drug on and on so it will be interesting how they handle it.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

it's alright so far. the makeup on those trollocks is superb.

Nook and clos4life like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For the first 10-30 minutes I was like “oh no, are they going to make this cheesy?!?”

then for pretty much every minute after that for all 3 episodes out it’s been really great.

I’m even fine with the casting. It wasn’t how I pictured in my head but they really do seem to play the personalities of their characters to a large extent.

and yes the trollocs and fade and dark shadow dude are all done extremely well. Some parts are less well and too CGI-Esque though.

and it’s definitely a testament to the story that it is at the same time filled with what now might some to be common troupes - trollocs, witches ( that are being burned by the church), “the one”, taverns, gleemen - but at the same time is something I easily binged and want more of and am highly entertained by.

clos4life, DreamShook and Amiga like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Too spoiled with the early seasons of GOT I guess, this reeks of mediocrity or beyond.

Watched too much stuff with Rosamund Pike in modern day garment that I find it weird with her in robes.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Interesting. Basketball trollocs. ;)

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

It's okay so far. I think it has potential to get better.

12. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

I'm gonna give it a try but GOT just set an impossible bar.....

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am hallucinating, I have to inject myself with crack to catch a pink cartoon dragon. :D

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

My only familiarity with this series prior to the show is the cover art for The Eye Of The World. So I dove in with no expectations.

The first episode was bad. The acting and tone of the show is too CW. The opening scene tried to be interesting but it was simply boring. The first half of the episoide was a mix of boring and cringe with costumes looking like they were from Amazon Basics and Aliexpress.

I'm not feeling the VFX. All the magic choreopgraphy is over the top. The Rand actor is too wooden. Lan actor not that far off too.

That said, it got better and was watchable enough after 3 episodes.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ep1 was awful.

DaDakota, clos4life and daywalker02 like this.
  16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts after the first 3 episodes:

Acting was okay. Liked the actor playing Mat the most but didn’t think the others were bad, just not terribly engaging. I was actually kind of surprised how Rosamund Pike was. She’s easily the biggest name and she wasn’t that great.

Trollocs were incredible. They looked and moved fantastic. I think the direction missed out on effectively using them, though. They could have dragged out that first attack a little and really leaned into how terrifying those creatures are. Kind of a missed opportunity.

I enjoyed how they handled the Darkfriend in the 3rd episode. She was good and that sequence was pretty cool.

Some potential spoiler discussion for those that have read the books:
    Are they not splitting the one power between men and women? That first Liandrin monologue in the opening made it sound like it’s all just one power drawn on by men and women alike. The splitting with the men’s half being tainted by the Dark One is kind of really important in the books. Maybe they just haven’t explained it yet.

FOUR ta’averen now? Did they decide to make one of the women one as well? I suppose it really doesn’t matter because they are both certainly pretty influential.

I suppose it was inevitable that channeling would be visual for a visual medium, but men not being able to see women channeling and women not being able to see men channeling (and NO ONE being able to see channeling if they don’t have the ability) is kind of important at various moments in the books, so I’ll be interested to see how they deal with that in the future.

clos4life likes this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

I felt first episode was bad. It lacked levity and the added changes made no sense. Episodes 2 & 3 were much better, including the darkfriend and trollocs. I hope the show goes more that way because it was a bad first episode.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Good, not great through 3 episodes so far. But very watchable still. I'm a little mad how Amazon always does this 2-3 episode ****, and doesn't release the whole season like Netflix. Apparently there's 14 books out there and didn't know the original author died over a decade ago. All of the books seem really highly rated on Amazon so far though , so maybe if I continue to like this series I'll start reading the books.

clos4life likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trust y'all.

clos4life and Squirtle like this.
  20. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

We would not lead you astray breh.

clos4life and daywalker02 like this.