1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They cast Marlon Wayans in Dungeons and Dragons. Not a good decision, but then again, nothing in that movie (with the possible exception of Jeremy Irons) was a good decision.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DreamShook likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

this is sci fi not fantasy. Not enough blk people in space and in sci fi but are represented.

Because a lot of fantasy is based on lore, they want to exclude blk people from those fantasy stories.

Nook likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The (very, very small) problem I have with 'rainbow washing' shows/movies I touched on in the Dune movie thread. In a nutshell, if you're going to have an isolated small village or community, people are eventually going to interbreed to a point where their skin tone is very similar. So if you have a black guy, a white guy, a brown guy all hanging out around the well where their families have been for hundreds of years, it's very incongruous and doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what color they are; they should just be the same/very similar color when they're an isolated group of people.

There are some outstanding books I've read in the past year that aren't Euro-centric that you should check out or at least track for some sort of film release:
    I've read some other non-Euro-centric books that are Sci-Fi but you mentioned Fantasy. I do enjoy the difference in culture reference because I've read classic fantasy to death.

primtim24, DreamShook and Commodore like this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm personally more excited about this series than I ever was for GOT, and GOT was one of the all time best TV series out there (with terrible ending).

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm very excited as well, but a little concerned that it won't catch on like GoT did. The characters in GOT are much more immediately interesting and engaging. I love the characters in WoT, but it took me a lot longer to love them than it did someone like Tyrion or Rob/Arya Stark. A lot will depend on how magnetic the actors are that they cast. I'm not worried about Rosamund Pike, but the rest are relatively unknown to me. Hopefully the casting person did a fantastic job.

Invisible Fan and clos4life like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've read about 8-10 fantasy series 4-7 books each (I've only finished a few of them some are soooo long)

Wheel of Time was my favorite though. I hope hope it is good and catches on. Amazon should obviously have the budget but apparently, they really didn't add much $$$ to The Expanse when they brought it to Amazon Prime streaming.

clos4life likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I get what you're saying, but we aren't talking about an isolated village; Im talking about a sprawling fantasy epic.

i think this a ridiculous thing to get hung up on when there are dragons and water wizards on screen. This new foundation series on apple+, which is set thousands of years in the future, (from what book readers tell me on youtube), the people are all supposed to be one brownish color because of the mixing of cultures. but there are white people all over the series and nobody cares.

People freaking out over a casting of a black elf in a fantasy show is silly... it's okay to do it.

im going to check out some of these books. Would they ever even try to adapt an all black fantasy series? I don't think they would. they would say no one would watch it or they would def race bend a character somehow.

#68 DreamShook, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Nook, Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Yeah, I have zero problem with black folks in fantasy. Perrin is my favorite character from these books and I don't care if he's an Inuit as long as they get the character right.

I think The Burning series I linked has a high chance of seeing the screen some day. It won all sorts of awards, was a best-seller and most importantly, the author has a background in film.

Evan Winter:

Born in England to South American parents, Evan Winter was raised in Africa near the historical territory of his ancestors. He always wanted to be a writer, but went to university first, tended bars in two countries, became a director and cinematographer whose work has been viewed more than 500,000,000 times online, met a couple conmen in the process, was threatened by UK mobsters in a case of mistaken identity, worked with wonderful A-list celebrities, unbelievably talented unknowns, and became the Creative Director for one of the world's largest infrastructure companies, all before realizing that the words in his head would never write themselves. So, before he runs out of time, he started writing them.​

Black Panther has already paved the way for an African-centric action movie (and upcoming Disney+ show) so it's not a risk in terms of viewership. I will certainly watch it.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Someone hasn’t seen Madea Goes To Hogwarts

jiggyfly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

reported.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Black Panther? Blade falls in a faint.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Blade wasn't in Africa.

DreamShook likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

also blade is one of 2 black people is his movie, lol

Nook, jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  15. Xerobull

Pre-smoker-face Traci Lords is in it though, that is a pro.

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

5 days left to premiere!

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More and more I find myself wondering how they will handle some of the gender stuff in this series. There seems to be a lot of emphasis in the books (men and women not understanding each other - the way their power use is different, etc). In today's culture, I could see some of that being viewed as problematic, but I don't know if it would be enough so for them to wholly change how the characters behave or not. It will be very interesting to see.

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I really want this series to be good, but the more and more previews I see, the worse it looks.

19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Really looking forward to this series as well. Did not read the books, but know about the series in general.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I feel the same. If this were done right it could be the biggest show for the next 5+ years. It doesn’t look like it is even possible at this point. I am just pulling for a good show now.