1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Amazon goes all-in

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rhadamanthus, Jul 13, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Pics of wife or "your boys", or "hose" would be good. Thanks. :eek:

2. conquistador#11

yes but can amazon has the sexs with you? Oh I forgot we're talking about marriage here, :p

I use Amazon all the time too but never gave prime that much consideration. I will sign up for it.

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Errr, I used FreshDirect for grocery delivery in NYC... a decade ago.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When will Amazon sell me cars and houses?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I wonder if they'll ever stop selling books and only do other things, like MTV did away with videos. :eek:

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I meant from the customer's perspective. And continuous bandwidth and storage for tens of millions of customers isn't cheap.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

MTV and rock and roll labels and stations were never created for the music, they were developed by advertising executives to get disposable income from suburban teenagers.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

It isn't cheap, but they definitely utilize the amount of storage they have and since they are one of the bigger names in the world of hosting that probably makes it more cost effective for them to invest in their storage and bandwidth tech

not a lot of people talk about their web hosting business, but I imagine it's a pretty large money maker for them (obviously nothing close to their retail sales, but still large nonetheless)
    http://aws.amazon.com/websites/

9. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Amazon makes essentially nothing in profits.

10. wakkoman

Not really sure why investors keep rewarding this company without any earnings. Amazon has continued to promise that profit will eventually come, but I don't see that happening in any meaningful way unless they raise prices.

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

there's a difference between revenue and profit, let me clear that up. They invest heavily back into their business and the web side is no different. I was just pointing out the fact that they have this often overlooked side to them. It's like when you think of Coors you usually think of beer, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Amazon is amazing. Prime or gtfo

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I haven't read their 10-Ks or anything but I assume that's because they invest back into the company or buy new companies. They're building the infrastructure. Once that's set they will be rolling in it. And at $61b in revenue, even slim margin is lots of profit.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Amazon gets a free ride on profits because their revenue is growing. Amazon never has made much money.

15. wakkoman

Yes they are definitely spending a lot of money on infrastructure, but CAPEX isn't a GAAP expense, only the depreciation is.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

just wait till UAV's leave the warehouse immediately after you order something and fly it to your doorstep

17. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

[​IMG]

18. what

what Member

Walmart will NEVER die. People that underestimate the level of technology that employs. It's WAY above amazon.

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Yeah Prime is great. Easily worth it for me. If it isn't groceries or a basic necessity that I can just get from CVS 1/2 mile away, there's a good chance I'm buying it from Amazon.

Amazon ain't without their issues though. For example, they have been criticized recently for apparent "poor" working conditions.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Costco seems to be doing well...