1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazing Photos

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTx, Oct 29, 2002.

1. HoustonTx

HoustonTx Member

Rudy's compromising photos (formerly: Amazing Photos)

I think Rudy found out that Tito has pictures of him with animals or some other compromising situations.

They have chosen to keep a guy who has NOT shown he could play PG or SG. As a result of these pictures, Rudy was forced to keep a guy who has not proven he can play PG or SG over:

A SG who put up 20 on more than one occasion last year and though not a star he could hold his own.

AND

A backup PG that is as good as the backup the team is paying 3.6 mil

Nice job Rudy!!!

Note: Rudy is known to be caught in these compromising situations, here are the last 4 instances of players having these photos of Rudy.

Cato- After one preseason game!!! It was either photos or a gun to his head, I think its photos.
    Shandon- Why else do you even think about offering 7 mil to a guy who averaged 7 pts. (NOT TO WORRY, WE GOT RICE IN THE DEAL!!! Nice job Rudy!!! )
    MoT- That makes sense!!! You draft a kid who you say is the best player in the draft who plays his position and costs you less than 1/3!!! FREEZE FRAME!!!
    Moochie- A player from the CBA, who could be found every year in the second round, undrafted free agent, for minimum to a half million dollars (see Damon Jones, Tierre Brown etc. etc) SMILE FOR THE CAMERA!!!

One footnote to the three of those:

The sum total of the salaries to the team is in the range of 18 million per year (imagine what you could get for that!!! Hell, look at Weber).

NONE of those 3 players are starters, now that Ming is here, nether is Cato. So what you have is WELL OVER HALF OF THE CAP, 25 million plus going to roll/bench players.

As a Rocket fan, I feel like one of the violated animals in those pictures.

In Rudy we trust?

#1 HoustonTx, Oct 29, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2002
  2. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Your thread title blows.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Last time I checked, it was the General Manager's job to sign players to contracts

4. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

Yes it does.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This thread blows!!!

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I concur... no rockHEAD rule award for you, what do expect from someone with their head in the clouds??

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

True, but I think we al agree that Rudy has just as much a say in the process (if not more) than CD. You will not see CD go unless Rudy does and vice versa.

Do you not thin that Rudy is the one that is pulling the trigger on these deals, or at least saying "I want to keep this guy" or in the case of Anderson & Taylor making promises to the players to get them to come here?

I agree some what with the point of the thread. I think the worst part about it is not the amount, but the length of 3 of the 4 contracts.

8. Raven

Raven Member

The thread title is stupid, but the point is valid. Signing Cato, and trading for Rice were huge mistakes in my opinion, and it will be years before the Rockets have any cap space. Still, it's water under the bridge, and can't be changed.

Raven

9. HoustonTx

HoustonTx Member

The reason the thread was so lengthy is that I put FACT AFTER FACT in it so no one could easily dismiss it. Let me hear from you... backup your point of view and suggest why we should not feel this way about these moves.

Are you happy with those moves?

Do you think that was a good job by our player personnel department?

These are jsut the most recent examples and ones that will effect our ability to get better over the next 3 years or so.

Barring a trade, there is no first round pick this year. If this team does not make the playoffs, you will not be adding a player to make the team better, and due to the rediculous signings, you have NO money to spend in free agency!

10. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Hind sight is aways 20/20.

It's not always so clearcut and easy to make great moves. And many times, it's not just basketball talent that is the ONLY criteria for a salary.

I'm sure if the Rockets had a crystal ball, they wouldn't have done some of the seemingly bad deals. But they make promises to players that they wanted to keep. (MoT and SAnderson)
    MoT is actually pretty good.

They saw a retiring center and a new center that looked great in pre-season and figure the average price for a decent center was about what they would have to pay for a "Cato". They made a misstake.

They got a decent backup PG, who is also a fan favorite for a slightly overpaid price. Note: Neither Tito or Tierre was better or will be better in the near future then Moochie right now. So no, there was no "cheap" alternate for PG available.

I believe Moochie dribbled too much because he had nowhere to go with the ball. The offense of 1 side clear out ISO was not working for him. Moochie have very good passing abilities and has a decent shot.

11. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

I usually just lurk and really enjoy reading the posts, but it seems that with all these new people it just gets worse and worse every day :( I mean atleast please try to make an educated comment about the Rockets. This is not a fan trying to be rude; this is an honest cry for help:) :(

12. B-ball freak

Ok, for those that don't get it.

If you title your thread "Amazing photos", try to have some f---ing amazing photos in it, ok.

After seeing no photos, I didn't even read the post.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Show me a roster that is 'mistake free'? Not even Sac or LAL...

The real mistake here is Cato -- and it proves you cannot look into the heart...

My biggest $ regret is not signing the available and able Keon Clark this summer.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

THe criticisms are fair, the photography motif is not too funny.

I wonder how other teams' roster mistakes stack up?

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Try using the search function, because we've gone over most of this crap a million times.

If we you want to go over current news like the rational of the Tierre cut then there is a 3 page thread on it on the front page.

Bringing this stuff up now is like saying I should have bought Dell in 1990. Ah, no crap! But it doesn't help us now, does it.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't mind....his whole purpose in naming the title was to get traffic, it worked.

Marketing 101 ladies.

DD

17. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

yeah, but he also got bashed!!

:D

too bad he's not getting a nickel a click or something... in this case it was a bad decision, IMO...

18. HoustonTx

HoustonTx Member

Good analogy, but with Dell you did not know whether it would go up or down. These moves there was strong indications that they were not the right ones. Theses are things that I and many others said at the time, and were true then and are true now.

Cato- had done nothing, I repeat nothing, and still has not.
    Moochie- Cut from the Grizz, cut from the Sonics, worth 3.5 mil???
    MoT- You drafted a 4, you had Thomas as a starter or backup, so why?
    Shandon- nothing I can say but PICTURES! We did not need Rice, we had Walt. So no matter how it was sliced.. AT THAT TIME you had to ask "why"

This ins not all hindshght. The glaring problem is the front office has no foresight!

19. HoustonTx

HoustonTx Member

I will take anything you think you got rockSMOKER. There are facts that you are unable to dipute thus you resort to saying its a bad title???? OK, I will say its a bad title and you can name it what ever you want. In return you dispute any of my facts & claims and tell me that you are pleased with the signings and tell me how ANY of those 4 made the least bit of sense!

20. B-ball freak

ok..........

Cato - A mistake in hindsight? Perhaps. Half (if not more) of the teams in the league have a center that is way overpaid merely for being a center. The preseason he was signed he showed glimpses of promise.

Moochie - his being cut from the Sonics had more to do with travel issues than how he played. Moochie is a proven back up and a clutch shooter.

MoT - Come on. This was a good acquisition. Were the Rockets supposed to know he was going to have a season ending injury? No one knew if Thomas would be a capable starter plus he is undersized as a 4.

Rice - The Rockets keep their promises. They got SA his big contract and only received a only 3 yr contract in return. We already had Walt? You've got to be kidding. It sucked that Rice was damaged goods but they took a risk.

You accuse the Rockets of having no foresight, but all of these players are still contributors in our rotation. You also leave out the fact that they had enough foresight to get Franchise, draft Mobley, acquire Griffin, and draft Thomas.

No one is a freakin' psychic and this topic was already tired before you misrepresented it here today.