1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare score over 40 vs Depleted Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cujo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. cujo

cujo Member

This guy is truly explosive and he definitely is good, but it just seems like everytime he scores its becuase his defensive man just forgets about him. Why won't teams have a guy just body him, and make sure he doesnt get loose. He never gets doubled it seems like too. I wonder how Amare will do on a team that doesn't run and shoot but play a more halfcourt style. Has any team found a way to limit this guy?

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

They beat the Spurs by just 6 pts when Duncan wasn't even playing? I like our chance on friday.

3. xiayun78

xiayun78 Member

Neither Duncan or Ginobili played, and Suns could only win by 6 at home.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Did anyone notice that Parker jacked up 31 shots!??

:eek:

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well it went to overtime when they had duncan and ginobili scored 48 so does that mean those two are only worth 6 points?

6. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I think that technically means Duncan is actually worth -42 points.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I watched a good part of this game, and Phoenix is a really bad defensive team in the halfcourt. The difference between our squad's help defense and Phoenix's "well, you beat me, have a layup" defense is ridiculous.

They are very dangerous on the break, but I don't see them having a chance to win a championship this year with defense like that. At one point in the second quarter they surrendered 3 layups in a row - and it wasn't because of good passing by SA! I think they have the mentality that all they need to do is outscore people and that is going to kill them - you can't just turn defense on in the playoffs.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I watched the game and I was not impressed with the Suns performance. They should have blown the Suns out like we did the Mavs this past Sunday.

The Suns play no D and are the new Mavericks. They will score like crazy and put up great numbers in the regular season and loss in the 2nd round.

9. RedHonda76

RedHonda76 Member

I know for a fact that Amare wouldnt able to score 44 if Duncan was playing.

10. cujo

cujo Member

I noticed the same thing. Pheonix Suns are just satisfied with outscoring their opponents, but play absolutely no defense. It was a lay up drill for the Spurs at one stretch of the game that helped the comeback. I really think the Rockets can beat this team if they concentrate on stopping penetration of Nash, and getting rebounds.

11. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I don't like games with no D played. The Spurs guards were given a clean lane all night to penetrate, and it was either a foul or a basket.

The Suns should never beat the Spurs by only 6 without Duncan & Ginobli. Period.

BTW, if JVG were the coach for the Suns last night, he would probably have had a heart attach midway through the 3rd quarter and is in the emergency room now.:p

12. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

btw - Amare is not a jumper shooter - so can someone please put a body on that guy - how does he get 40+ in a game without shooting the ball from beyond 3 feet !?!? :confused:

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Don't be so surprised - Shaq's been doing it for 10 years now...

14. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

With bodies all over him and Nash not on his team.

15. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Amare gets out and runs the floor. Its more than just being fast. He knows where to be on the break, and he finishes. Karl Malone ran the break well, too. It helps that they both had great point guards, but they both ran their lanes on the break, and worked hard.

Give credit where credit is due.

16. bhanchod

bhanchod Member

yeah but in the previous two meetings (with duncan playing) he scored like 36 and 38...but I guess you're right

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The guy is the leading scorer in the NBA per 48 minutes - do you honestly think that coaches aren't drawing up "battle plans" to combat him???

Larry Brown: 'Sheed, just go stand over there on D'
    Rasheed Wallace: 'But coach - don't I have to guard Amare - he's been tearing it up'
    Brown: 'What?? No - that guy didn't even go to college - don't bother marking him...'

And so what if Shaq scores his points by knocking people over? The fact is the gy has been able to score PLENTY of point for YEARS without more than 3' range.
    So it's not like you can just tell someone to "guard Amare closely" in order to shut him down... the guy manages to get himself open, near the hoop and dunk the ball, lots.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh - and in the 6 games that Nash has missed this year, Amare has scored

21.33 points at 46.88%

I know that's down on his season averages - but it's still pretty good!