1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare: Knicks should take me over Bosh

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by smoothie, May 29, 2009.

1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

What do you mean by this? He's an All Star who can play offense AND defense, unlike Amare. Not to mention he's taller too.

2. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Both Amare and Bosh can't even spell the word D.E.F.E.N.S.E.

But Amare is certainly the better offensive player.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

simply because if they want to have enough money to sign him in 2010 they will have to let robinson walk, and those ending contracts expire. sooo, why not move them now to get the guy you are letting them walk for?

the knicks thought they would have enough money for 2 max deals in 2010. if they resign lee (which they plan on) they still have enough for 1, if they don't re-sign nate. robinson is on his way out of NY. he's not exactly the face of their franchise... but amare might be! :cool:

4. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

wow, he's crossing the shawn kemp territory

5. Raven

Raven Member

It would take a whole book to explain all the different ways the Suns screwed up their team.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

When did Chris Bosh start playing defense? He's one of the softest big men in the league. He's a good player, but I'd much rather have Amare. Amare is a better offensive player, and I think he actually has the ability to become a pretty good defender. I just don't think he works on it. Bosh is what he is in my opinion

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Bill Simmons did a pretty good job in one of his pieces last year.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think this idea of Amare being a great offensive player is overblown because he gets crazy stats in that run n' gun offense. He is a great finisher but he has absolutely no ability to create for his teammates and isn't all that great in creating for himself. Everything he does comes from either a great pass or one or two dribbles.

Chris Bosh is a more skilled player. He has the face up game but he also has the post spin moves, drop steps, and hooks. Bosh doesn't have Steve Nash. He has to create offense for his teammates and create for himself without a PnR. I have yet to see Amare be effective without someone else setting him up. Obviously Amare is better than Kenyon Martin, but I would expect to see a similar drop off as when he stopped having a good PG create for him.

Also, Bosh may be physically weaker than Amare but he is a much more intelligent defender. Similar to Pau Gasol, he does a decent job of getting into good position and using his length to protect the paint. That's not to say he's a great defender but decent is MUCH more than I could say about what Amare does on D...if he does anything at all.

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I disagree. The fact that people still label Amare as only a finisher is confusing. He has a great mid-range jumper now. In fact, I'd venture to say he's one of the best jump shooting big men in the game. Due to this vast improvement in his game, it allows him to face-up and take his man off the dribble. His leaping ability and strength allow him to finish at the rim. On top of that he's an outstanding free throw shooter. On offense, I'sd much rather have him then Bosh. I agree that Bosh is a better back to the basket player, but that's not how he gets the majority of his points. He likes to shoot the 10-15 foot jumper. Bosh is a slightly better defender now, but that isn't saying much. Both are poor on the defensive end.

In terms of Nash, I think both Amare and him compliment each other. They make each other better. Everyone was calling Jose Calderon one of the best pg's in the game. In fact they still do. I think he's vastly overrated, but that's not the popular opinion. So, you can't really say Bosh isn't playing with a good pg who creates shots for him. I think Calderon averaged around 9 assists a game this season.

I still would take Amare every day of the week over Bosh on offense. While I agreed Bosh was a little better on defense right now, I think we both agree that's not saying anything at all. My point was Amare's physical gifts would allow him to become a good defensive player. He just doesn't seem to put the work in. Looking at how he went from having no jumpshot to having a great one, I would think he could do the same on defense if he dedicated himself. Not sure if he ever will, but if he did, he'd be scary of the defensive end. I've seen flashes of what he can do. It's just they are very few and far between

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I like Amare but is he better than Bosh? I don't know. I'd say they are tied.

What I like about Amare is he can finish at the basket and he is really an outstanding shooter from midrange. He is agreesive and makes his foul shots at good %.

The problem I have with him, though, is his defense. He doesn't seem to play defense at ALL, he is kinda lazy. What is even worse, he reminds me of Ron Artest, he thinks he is THE BEST.

But it would be interesting to see him go without Nash. We all know Steve makes people better.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Those trying to act like Amare is nothing without Nash crack me up. Amare gets the same treatment Boozer and David West get. That the ONLY rational explanation for their dominance and stellar numbers is due the fact that they are the beneficiary of tremendous PG guard play. Right? Am I following so far? That there's NOOOOOO way you could plug any three of those players on teams with, say, average PG's and they could still put up the numbers that they do right now. Right? Yeah, okay.

Look, any player on the same team with a Kidd/Paul/Nash/Deron type is going to benefit tremendously from said-PG's court vision, ability to see everything and put the ball in the right place. Not many PG's are capable of doing that (to their degree) so of course that's a nice advantage to have. Where people go overboard is disregarding or turning a blind eye to all the capabilities of a Boozer/Amare/West type because they're so anxious to assign credit to the PG rather than looking at this objectively and seeing what each player actually brings to the table. Do West/Amare/Boozer need elite PG's to be star PF's and some of the top scorers at their position? No, not in my opinion.

12. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

I can explain it on one word - "Kerr" ;)

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know some are going to disagree, but I think Amar'e is better athlete than Dwight Howard. Not quite as strong, but he is faster, quicker, yet is by far more skilled than Dwight.

It's strange, instead of comparing Yao to Dwight. I think Amare is a much better comparison to DH than Yao.

Amar'e is what Dwight could be offense, as Dwight is what Amar'e could be on rebounding and defense.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nah, Robert Sarver is the man responsible for causing the implosion of a top five NBA team and one of the most exciting teams to watch.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL Bosh is better simply because:
    1) He didn't have arthroscopic surgery
    2) He didn't have an eye/iris/retina freaky injury
    3) He doesn't whine and pout like Amare
    4) Bosh has leadership qualities and all the intangibles that's needed to become a face of a franchise

Plus, Bosh knows how to play up to and win a crowd, and he's younger than Amare to boot.

16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

And people complain about Tmac :rolleyes:

This dude is a clown.

I'd take bosh over him even though the PF position is not something we need to look into.

17. munco

munco Member

Bosh is a better player. I think Amare wants to join D'Antoni so he can jack up shots at the same clip he used to