1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AM 610] Heisman Resigns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan17wagner, May 18, 2009.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Andre Ware said today that he will leave KILT's (610 AM) morning drive time talk show but hopes to remain with the Texans radio network.

Ware, whose contract with the CBS Radio-owned station expires at the end of the month, announced his decision on the show he has co-hosted since June 2007 with Marc Vandermeer, his Texans radio partner since the team's inaugural season in 2002.

KILT paired Vandermeer and Ware in morning drive two years ago after longtime morning hosts John Granato and Lance Zierlein moved from KILT to KGOW (1560 AM). The show has struggled in the Arbitron ratings and briefly dropped behind the Granato-Zierlein show in the men 25-54 demographic before retaking the lead in the latest monthly report.

Brian Purdy, who earlier this spring took over as general manager of CBS Radio Houston and on Friday dismissed program director Bill Van Rysdam, was not immediately available for comment on Ware's announcement.

The 1989 Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Houston, Ware also works for ESPN and in recent years has called the 11 a.m. Saturday college football games, mostly from the Big 10, with Dave Pasch. He also has worked on occasion for ESPN's College Football Live show.

His game assignments for 2009 have not been announced as ESPN tweaks its lineup in the wake of the network's hiring of former Lions executive Matt Millen as a game and studio analyst.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6429269.html

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He just never had the personality to be on a full length radio show.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I tried to defend Ware, but he isn't knowledgable enough outside of college football. I hadn't been listening to morning radio alot the past 1 1/2 years but have been the last few months, and its hard listening to. without being Andre Ware he would add no value.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Just want to say..

THE RADIO BUSINESS FREAKING SUCKS!!

Who in their right mind would EVER want to get into that business??

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I listened to the show a lot and Marc is decent, but Ware just doesn't have the personality or the wide range of pop culture and sports knowledge to entertain.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I want some Peppa's Bar-B-Q right now... :(

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly, he's good as a football broadcaster

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He had a pretty busy schedule trying to do all this broadcasts as well as a daily morning show.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, this doesn't really bother me at all. They could bring in any number of guys who would do better. It's a shame J-Fizzle went to Phoenix...I think he would have been a good pairing with Vandemeer. He has a good sarcastic wit. But honestly, if I could get even a slightly halfway decent signal out of 1560 I would listen to Zuerlein. 610 just gets the nod by default (790 morning show is terrible).

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He doesn't have the personality to mix it up with a wide demographic of callers, and it was basically Vandermeer carrying the show. I could tell something was up when Adam Clanton started showing up during their airtime, because it was obvious they needed another lively person to add to the mix. Basically, all Ware did was repeat what Vandermeer said, and it was also clear to me that he wasn't really a big fan of Houston sports....I always got the feeling that he was a front-runner who rooted for teams that are winning.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

when he said he was a mavs fan, he was dead to me. :D

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This one is easy: SATO and CHOZEN during the typhoon, The Karate Kid II. :eek:

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hopefully more airtime for rocketsabc aka Adam Clanton. Him and Vandermeer would be good together. Then Clanton gets the extra hour for the Adam Clanton Experience. It's been like that for awhile anyways.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

saying someone is "dead to me" goes back a lot further than Ralph Machio.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ware was never captain charisma.

16. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Adam Clanton would do well with some more time on air.

At this point there's only one untolerable guy on air M-F... Rich Lord.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't care much for Clanton. I don't know why, but I just don't like listening to him much. I hope they do a thorough search to find someone that complements Marc.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That was the problem IMO. The guy was totally clueless about anything other than college football. It’s almost like he considered this show an afterthought. Like he could survive on just his football knowledge alone.

When this show first started, Mark and Andre were both horrible. But it seems to me that Mark has really worked hard to get better at it from day 1. The guy does his homework and really tries to cover all sports, not just Texans football. He seems to really care about the show and understand what a great opportunity it is – unlike Andre.

Andre was like the guy next to you at work who just sort of casually follows sports, but acts like he knows everything because he happened to catch Sportscenter last night.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I love andre on espn and for the texans...Hes very knowledgeable and gives good opinions from a players viewpoint...Though when its not football season the morning show is pretty dry IMO so I'm not to suprised hes out...
    He should defintely be doing some "bigtime" collegegames in the future IMO..

AC is great I wish he would get more airtime early in the mornings I'm guessing thats what the gameplan is

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seems to me that 790 has dropped the morning show all together and just airs Dan Patrick. I don't know if that's because of a vacation or something, but last week when I would click through the channels DP was on 790 in the morning. Now if they just drop the monsters they might have something!

Really, 1560 is the place to be. John and Lance weren't entertaining to me on 610, but I like them a lot now. Signal quality still too weak though.