1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alvin Gentry channels his inner Doc Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tehG l i d e, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

LOL great line. Concur

hakeem94 and Tfor3 like this.
  2. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I guess he's trying to create goodwill with his players so they'll tell management not to fire him after the season is over.

Houston shot 18 free throws and six of them were intentional/technical fouls. He's going to get fined for b****ing about a team shooting 12 free throws. Is that a new low?

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

You know Thibodeau. He'll be in full rage mode 5 seconds Into the game.

D-rock, hakeem94, RyanB and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

AD is 4th in the NBA in free throw attempts per game.

DC is third in the NBA in free throw attempts per game.

5. today

today Contributing Member

Should Thibs just go ahead and pre-pay for his fine?

Edit: Oops, looks like I was late to the party.

Plowman, Stormy1234 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

At his own players though, lol.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

It's an embarrassment. I think the league is so happy with all the scoring that it doesn't want to enforce stuff like that.

D-rock, Patience, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sportcenter put up a graphic saying that AD and Boogie get more foul calls than Harden. I don't know if Sportcenter has ever debunked the narrative that Harden is Cheap. ESPN even had an article about Harden being good at defense. Things are changing. Comment section is extra spicy.

slothy420, D-rock, Patience and 2 others like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He was also an AC under MDA as well though...and Popovich, and Larry Brown...

Quite the mentors he's had...

D-rock likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

He has a point, we got away with some fouls, but what I'm starting to hate is how now EVERYONE is starting to find a reason to constantly downplay our achievements by pointing to Harden and this team getting a lot more FTs than others. The Pelicans commentary was unbearable because of it. Not the color guy, but the play-by-play guy who's very decent, but this game was god awful. Every single possession he was b****ing about holds, grabs, how we get away with everything, CP3 not the defender he once was with zero fouls, then saying we're over the limit when it was our 3rd etc.

At least the color guy acknowledged when it was simply good defense and on that CP3 foul that he didn't see anything but a hard foul while the other guy was making it worse. It shouldn't really matter, but when these guys start to feed their fanbase all these biased opinions and lies then that's a real shame. I also hate it when Bullard and Bill did it and do it sometimes, the whole game b**** about officiating and clearly biased opinion in favor of the Rockets. Just turns a broadcast into a spoiled brat fest.

dannah likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I.D.I.O.T.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's the nature of sports. We expect a bit more objectivity from the broadcasters, but the local announcing team will have their bias. Ours sure do, as you pointed out. It's even worse with the fanbases.

There was definitely a foul on that 3-point shot. Even though Harden was purposely trying to draw it, he's allowed to make that motion, and his defender did not withdraw his arm in time.

Gentry has a somewhat more valid reason to complain about the way we were playing defense on Davis toward the end on some of those possessions. Really physical, and he didn't get the call. We experienced that a lot with Yao back in the day. When other teams decided to put much smaller guys on him, the refs allowed them to get away with murder. It has nothing to do with bias towards Houston or against the Pelicans. That's just how the league officiates big men -- they let things go -- and they've been doing it that way for a LONG time.

hakeem94 and OTMax like this.
  13. macan

macan Member

it's a mind game, both worriers, clippers and pelican may face us in the playoff they tried their best to see if that can make a little impact on ref comes playoff time. we strike fear through rest of league right now

Stormy1234 likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

I have GROWN TO HATE all the whining in the NBA!

Defensively, no player has ever fouled. Offensively, they're not getting enough fouls called (in their favor). I'm a star player but I don't get treated like a star by the refs. This guy/team shoots more FTs than me/us but I/we drive more than him/them! This guy b****es & complains so he gets the calls while my guy doesn't b**** & complain so he doesn't get the calls.

ENOUGH! :mad::rolleyes:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ssing-officiating-loss-portland-trail-blazers

With a 30-39 record, the Detroit Pistons know what it's like to lose, but the way in which they lost Saturday night in Portland to the Trail Blazers left head coach Stan Van Gundy fuming.

"It's embarrassing. It's embarrassing for them and embarrassing for the league," Van Gundy said of Saturday's officiating, following a 100-87 loss.

"I've been here for four years and many more years before that, and I've never come in after a game -- never, never come in after a game -- and talked like this. That was embarrassing," he said. "We got absolutely screwed tonight."

Van Gundy went so far as to itemize several plays he felt were improperly officiated.

"They held and grabbed on every play and they got away with fouls all over the place. We got absolutely screwed all night," Van Gundy said. "Luke Kennard makes a back cut to the basket on an out-of-bounds play, gets knocked down, they end up with two points on the other end. Blake Griffin has two straight drives in the fourth that he gets hammered on. He gets screwed twice."

And while Van Gundy credited Portland for how well they played, he still noted that he thought the refs made a big difference in his team's loss.

"A big part of [the Blazers'] defense -- they play very hard, I don't mean to take anything away from them -- but when you can get away with playing like that and get screwed that badly by the officials, your defense is going to be pretty good," Van Gundy said.

When asked if he was given any explanation about one of the calls, Van Gundy said he got an excuse with which he wasn't happy.

"Yeah, 'If I saw it, I would have called it.' Well you know what? Your damn job is to see it. ... Why the hell do we have you out there?"

Interestingly, the Pistons shot two more free throws than the Blazers, attempting 20 to Portland's 18.

The Pistons trailed by as many as 19 points in the third quarter, but they closed to 84-74 on Stanley Johnson's dunk with 8:18 left.

Johnson, who had 11 points and five rebounds off the bench, attempted to shrug off his issues with Saturday's officiating.

"We're grown men," Johnson said. "We grab and hold just like they grab and hold. At the end of the day it is what it is. You can't go back and change stuff. You can't do nothing about it. If that's the way they want to officiate the game, we gotta deal with it and try to maneuver the best we can."

The Pistons, who have lost eight of their past 10 games, continue their six-game road trip Monday night against the Sacramento Kings.
    [​IMG]

D-rock, Deuce, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The r/NBA thread about this is saltier than a bucket of Morton's. Basically it's a giant circlejerk of "Harden is a p***y" and "This is why I don't want him winning the MVP." I'm not sure what the demographics of the Hate Parade are, but it seems to be constituted of beta b****es.

D-rock likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Beating teams on the court & making them lighter in the pocket book one game at time.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Davis got bullshit calls on Ariza

Vivi likes this.
  19. cebu

cebu Member

Yao says, I know the feeling.

20. Voltik

Voltik Member

Along with JVG to Gentry.

Davis:Yao::Gentry:JVG

Albeit, Yao was hacked, pushed, scratched, tripped, kicked, elbowed, mugged much more than Davis in today’s NBA. The refs did not know how to call Yao, who was a very unique center...very tall and thin finesse player who could shoot and post.