1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

alternative or natural cancer treatments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Jul 29, 2017.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I lost my dad almost 3 years ago to pancreatic cancer. When they finally found out he had cancer (he went to the hospital for back pain one day, and they kept running tests and eventually discovered it), it was almost like a switch was flipped and he went drastically downhill. He couldn't eat because it literally hurt him to eat (even really healthy foods). Good have been psychological though. He was only able to fight it for 9 months or so. The chemo didn't help, probably sped the process up. Just made him really weak. Ultimately he decided he couldn't fight anymore, which is still one of the saddest things I've experienced. My dad was over 6'2" and nearly 300 lbs. Was literally always the strongest guy I knew and basically my hero. So for him to give up because it was too hard was a punch in the gut. Talking about a guy that would work 2 or 3 jobs regularly just so we could have basic things. So I knew if he couldn't do it, there's not a lot that could.

I say this, just to say. If the guy wants to try something different. It may not be a bad idea just from a psychological standpoint. Gives them something to keep fighting for. It really sucks to see someone have to give up.

ATXNekko likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry you had to go through that, and for your dad too. Pancreatic cancer is literally the worst. I've known only one person who beat it, but even then, it was just temporary. People rarely last an entire year, it seems, after diagnosis (which is usually pretty late, like in your dad's case; it has to be fairly advanced for noticeable symptoms).

Agree with you on having hope and beneficial psychology. My only point earlier in the thread is that hope is good, but believing in a miraculous silver bullet for all cancers could actually mislead some people who might be better off pursuing standard medicine in their specific case. (e.g. radiation, thank God, worked for my Mom's breast cancer, and she's healthy and with us about 20 years on. We're very lucky.)