1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Already tied last year....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People get pretty unhappy after one lose or our record of 13-6. Just keep one thing in mind. Perspective wise.

We are already as many games over .500 as we were at the end of last season! 7 games over .500 now after 19 games vs. 7 games over .500 after 82 games.

Maybe.....we should be happy our team is pretty good and fun to watch, and not worry so much this year if they are a "contender". Maybe it's ok for this year to be a year where we win a lot of games, make it to the 2nd round, and that's it.

1 person likes this.
  2. New Generation

There are a bunch of people trying hard to be that "one guy" that makes some break through revelation about what this team needs. It's obvious what's wrong with the team, and we all see it. Instead, we should enjoy what we have, because it's only going up from here.

I agree with your last point. The 2nd round seems pretty sweet to me.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

Let's enjoy the eternal mediocrity.

4. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Okay, okay, I hear you.

But that's only if we don't lose to Phoenix today!

Harden scores 37 and his plus/minus is -12. Something's not right, hope it doesn't become a pattern. Oh, and Asik needs to start playing like he's starter material and not a bench-brigade regular, he'll never get traded if he keeps doing that.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yeah, we should have traded Hakeem in 1993. We lost in the 2nd round - after that season's mediocrity and all those years prior what did we do? Nothing outside of mid-range draft picks. And what happened. We won an NBA championship the next season.

Imagine that.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Dwight and Asik should be dominating the other team's two centers.

Seriously they should be a huge plus

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

More pro-complacency arguments is just what the modern world needs...

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know what to make of this season from a viewing standpoint. On one hand we finally have a team that's awesome and watching them win is always cool. OTOH, the losses are definitely harder to take this year. There were seasons in the past where I would literally care about certain players' stats more than the game itself. Now it's the opposite. I honestly could care less about individual stats as long as the games are wins.

It's weird feeling of watching a contending team. Haven't felt this way in years. Even last year, the playoff run was a bonus for me rather than a necessity.

9. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

You are talking logic...logic doesn't fly at this place.

The issues are obvious, heaps of little things that take time to improve on. Miami have lost to 4 teams under .500 and they won it all last year.

We can easily end up 10 games over .500 by the middle of this month. Good position in such a tough conference.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Yesterday night I couldn't sleep or get any rest because I was just thinking that the Rockets could very easily be 17-2. The losses against the Jazz, Mavs, Sixers and Lakers probably shouldnt of happen. Laziness and luck on the other side of the ball cost of those games. 17-2 looks a lot better than 13-6 in my opinion... But you're right.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It's time to get after it!

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Look at this team:

1. A star center who is trying to find himself for what kind of player he is going to be going forward, who's lost a little magic (no pun intended).
    2. You have a super young star who a few years ago was a sixth man and now is the number one SG in the game and had no clue how to handle it. You think that's not going to go to his head for a while?
    3. You got a guy who is 2 years removed from being drafted in the 2nd Round as your starting SF
    4. You got a guy who was playing in Russia this time last season as your PG
    5. You got a guy that couldn't make the cut as our 3rd string point guard 2 years ago and was sleeping on couches as your sixth man
    6. You have a starting power forward that spent most of last year in the D-league.
    7. Your critical back-up C wants to be traded
    8. The average age of this team is 25. The youngest team to win a championship in the modern era was the 1980 Lakers - who were 26!

I mean, people just are crazy to think that we're going to contend this year, or that we should somehow be 17-2. That's insane. It's absolutely insane.

I am shocked. I repeat shocked we are 13-6. If we end up at 26-12, I would be ecstatic. Because I don't think people realize how hard that is to do if you are a veteran team!

And for the last time, we are not contenders. We are not going to the NBA finals this year. It's not realistic. It would be historic for a team this young and inexperienced to do that. Even OKC couldn't pull it off and that looks like a fluke today. And they had KC, WB, AND Harden.

I think people need to just sit back and let these kids learn for a season before berating them every time they lose - because they are going to lose a lot even if they end up with a good record.

9 people like this.
  13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I think it's better we lost these games, identify the reasons for losses and learn from them rather than cruise to 65+ wins and lose in first round (see: Denver) .

14. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

This should be stickied in GARM and by the rule a must-read before anyone wants to bash Houston.

15. NotChandlerParsons

Naw man, we've only won 68% of our games. Fire McFail, trade Harden and Howard for lottery picks, sell the franchise to Seattle. We're done.

16. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

nice points sweet lou

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not mediocre.

A good Top 8 team.... Above average but not a Top contender as it stands until we can find some consistency and injury free stretches

We can be good and beat contending teams and lose to the worst.
    We beat most of the Eastern teams and maybe get a good record but the West is too tough.

18. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Probably the best post I've read on this forum

19. Classic

Classic Member

Nice commentary.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm going to read this post every time clutchfans blows up after a loss to get myself back to reality thank you