1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun Finalist for MIP Award 2023-2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 21, 2024.

?

Will Sengun win MIP for 2023-24?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised Cam Thomas or Jalen Johnson weren't finalists if Coby White is, but out of those three I'd say White improved the most from a player ranking standpoint.

I think Sengun deserves it more than Maxey though.

NewAge likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green should win MIP from February to March.

Rashmon, NewAge, KingCheetah and 2 others like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

And then MRP for the rest of the season.

Most Regressed Player

Patience and Easy like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Should Tillman raise a banner for MIP FInalisthood?

The answer is yes and tomorrow.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Didn’t Cam have a great start and threw fizzle? Didnt watch any of their games but heard espn talking heads discussing his season recently.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd probably go:

Coby White
    Alpi
    Maxey

I don't know if Maxey got so much better this year or if he just had more reps. White, for me, went from a 7th man to a firm starter.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

If the Rockets somehow got two Top 4 picks this year I'd trade both to the Bulls for Coby White and have JG/White battle it out for starting SG spot next year.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Is that a typo? You would trade two top 4 picks for Coby White?

AroundTheWorld and harold bingo like this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don't think Cam was that great, maybe like top 80-90, but just given where he was last season the raw improvement is pretty substantial.

11. Risingred

Risingred Member

Maxey deserves more this year, let's stop being a homer.

12. MystikArkitect

I would trade two Top 4 picks this year for Coby White. Absolutely yeah. There isn't anyone in this draft that is going to help us this year outside of maybe Knecht or Clingan and White is a fringe All-Star type at the position of most need. Who would we draft with that anyway? We have enough young guys on the roster.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't even know where to start, so I'll just say that's absolutely batshit crazy. I can't even imagine a GM keeping their job when they suggest it to the owner.

If anyone else agrees please say so, because I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or I'm being gas-lit.

Believe It! and astrosrule like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

You're not. This draft really, really sucks. The best wing is like....Risacher or Cody Williams and the best SG is....Ron Holland or Collier or...Reed Sheppard? I mean I guess we can keep it and draft worse Deandre Ayton in Alex Sarr? Or slightly better Giddey in Topic? Like....what do you think two Top 4 picks in this draft gets you? This isn't last year....or the year before....or the year before....or even the year before lol. It can't be overstated how bad of a draft this is. Let's say in a hypothetical scenario we get the 2 and the 4. Who are you taking? Like...have you even followed this draft's process at all?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Coby White is...meh. Nice improvement, but come on, Alpi is in a different stratosphere already, and that is coming from a position where his team wanted to start Bruno Fernando over him.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I've been around here two decades so I've been through at least 10 times where this board has said it's a weak draft and they turn out to be wrong. I don't follow college basketball, so I don't have the bias. Don't have a dog in the race. For that reason, I understand that there is a rumor that this is a weak draft, but at the same time I've seen that statement be disproven exactly as often as it's been proven. We'll find out after the draft.

Having said that, even in the worst draft in NBA history (summer of 2000), without the benefit of hindsight I'm not trading two top 4 picks for a mediocre defender who scores 19 points on 15 shots at the guard position. With two top 4 picks, I'm coming out with much much more than that. There are several GM's who believe they can come out with two Coby Whites, for which they will give us more than a Coby White. It's not even close dude. Do you know what kind of insane value two top 4 picks in a weak draft has to a team like the Blazers, Spurs, Hornets, Nets? You fast-forward their tanking at least 1 year if not two? Teams will trade you 3 barely protected future picks for those 2 picks and you can use that in a trade to get someone much better than Coby freaking White. At minimum, you should be getting a 6'10 21 year old Coby White for two top 4 picks.

In which WEAK draft has a pick ever been traded for someone as mediocre as Coby White - a guy who in his 5th year in the NBA is playing mediocre defense and scoring 19 points on 15 shots. Can you name a single instance of this happening?

Also YES since going from FVV to Coby White will barely move the needle, I would even rather draft 2 players, develop them and then decide to trade them. Of course I'm not trading TWO TOP FOUR PICKS for Coby White. I'm writing in caps hoping maybe it will snap you out of this or someone comes and rescues me.

Rashmon and Believe It! like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I was looking at Coby's numbers yesterday and it's a massive leap for him. Almost doubled all of his volume numbers while maintaining roughly the same (pretty good) efficiency. I wouldn't complain about him winning it. Would love to have him on the Rockets. Two Brooklyn picks? Ehh, idk. One, sure.

I think Maxey will take the award though due to having the most name recognition, being on a team that's viewed as more of a contender, and having made the all-star game. Kind of silly IMO since his efficiency took a big drop, and his improvement is much smaller than Sengun's or White's, but that's how these things generally work.

mfastx likes this.
  18. albuster

albuster Member

Maybe, we may also want to look at the improved defensive schemes and the focus on stopping Sengun by just about all the other NBA teams. The teams the Rockets played against were always focused on throwing everything including the kitchen sink at him and daring his team mates to beat them from the outside. Despite that though, Sengun was still able to carry his team on his back majority of the season with relative success. It might be productive to put his offense in context, and all statistical data for every player and team of the whole league. The game has infinite variables that can be considered and factored into the data due to the human factor that is as complex as everything else that involve humans. AI might eventually help analyze data in the league with much more validity if it is not yet being used currently.

Rashmon and AlperenSengun like this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Relax lol it's not that serious. Even in weak drafts there are stars to be found, sure....but the Rockets have 5 guys on the roster that if they were in this draft would go #1 overall. That's how weak it is. A Top 5-10 pick this year is probably worth less than a Top 20 pick in last years draft. Is there going to be an All-Star in this draft? Uhhh...maybe? Risacher and Topic are the two most likely? Then you could take a flyer on Holland/Williams or Sheppard even. You value these picks way too highly. They are worth almost nothing. The Rockets (Nets) pick this year is worth like...a #17-25 in a decent draft.

There will be a player better than Coby White in this draft. Yeah. It wont be whoever the Rockets draft. The Rockets aren't in a position to play anyone they draft this year nor to even develop them or even trade them for a "star" down the road. Because they'd be a throw in with no value. Next year's Brooklyn pick and the year after? Yeah. They're worth something. Flagg/Boozer are there. This year isn't worth **** though and yeah I'd trade two Top 4 picks for Coby White/Derrick White or anyone with some upside that can actually contribute next year. We are lacking at several positions and this years draft pick isn't going to help with that. And no....even if we did get two Top 4 picks....anyone with an actual star is laughing and hanging up the phone when/if we offer that. This year's picks hold no value. Next year's and year after is a different story.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

He plays more minutes, takes more shots, increased significantly the number of midrange and 3pt shots which he was bad at, is the main focus of defenses, constantly double teamed, cut down on the turnovers, increased assists.

nah, his ts dropped 1.5%. Didn’t meet my expectations.

Strawberry Gum likes this.