1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Almost lost my mom..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Mar 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Hope she remains stable and gets better.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Things looking good. She's had two good days. Doc did an endoscopy yesterday, and there was no bleeding. He put two more clips on an area that he missed during the emergency, just for preventative purposes. They plan to extubate today, and try to get her walking. Thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes. The feelings of that bad night keeps coming back to me, and I hope I don't have to go through that again.

4 people like this.
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Good to hear, keep your head up buddy!

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Very good to hear :)

1 person likes this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I came to this thread to ask for an update and to see how you're coping. Thanks for providing an update. Good to know that she is doing better and great to know you're dealing with it better.

Stay strong buddy. Best wishes.

6. noize

noize Contributing Member

God bless you and your family.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hope for a quick and strong recovery, stay strong!

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good news on the update. Glad to hear it.

9. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Glad to hear man. Must of been tough to write this on here, thanks for sharing and we wish you the very best.

10. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Sounds like your mom is slowly coming out of it. Hypovolemic shock is nothing to mess with. Your mom must have been in some pain for a while since the ulcer perforated the bowel. Best of wishes to you and your family.

11. Falcons Talon

Just got back from hospital. They've cut the oxygen feed bit she is still intubated. She's responding to voice and touch, but she won't open her eyes and they won't extubate until she open her eyes and is fully responsive.

Aside from a loss of appetite, there was no way for us to know. She has dementia and does not speak anymore. The only sign of blood in the stool was the day she was admitted to the hospital.

12. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Prayers are coming your way brother. Every time people that are closed to me with serious health issues needing emergency help, the first thing I do is pray for them and the second thing is to pray for the healthcare professionals. Your mom could have died because of their incompetence when she was first admitted, God still favors her and the staff at the hospital got their act right to give your mom a second chance.

13. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Prayers to you and your family.

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hi Falcon,

Which hospital is she at? I work with many GI's and Oncologists in the Houston area. It's going to be very important that your mother sees a GI outside of the hospital when she gets out.

If you need any recommendations, please let me know. Just PM me.

Good luck.

15. Falcons Talon

I feel so drained. I go see me mom on my lunch break and conference period(luckily back to back) and i go back right after work and usually leave around 8 or 9. I get home, shower, eat, and crawl into bed. I didn't realize the mental drain this would put on me.

The good news is that mom opened her eyes last night when I got there. She was still in and out, but she would open her eyes and look at us. Hopefully they extubate today, but of course we don't want to rush anything. All her vitals are stable, and no fresh blood in her stool. She is still on painkillers and she does have mucous in her lungs that they are extracting, which she absolutely hates.

Thanks CB22, but we are in the valley. Brownsville Valley regional. I appreciate the offer. Yes, we will be taking her to a GI after she gets out. We've already scheduled a follow up for her.

16. Falcons Talon

Mom seems to be having a hard time waking up. She won't open her eyes all day, but towards the evening she will a little. They won't extubate until she is awake and alert because her breathing is too shallow when they turned off the respirator, and now they had to put her back on pain killer because she is holding her chest, I'm sure because of the chest compression when they revived her. Just wanted to update and thank everyone again for their thoughts and prayers.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Had to coach my mom to breath on her own after cancer surgery this week. She was intubated as well and the Dr wouldn't extubatne until they saw a better breathing pattern. It looks scary as **** but be strong and have faith. My mom is home now cancer free. No radiation or chemo required. I keep you and your mom in my prayers brother.

18. Falcons Talon

Thanks Reeko. That's the first positive thing I've heard about the breathing and extubate. Everyone else at the hospital is "wait and see", "we don't know" and "nothing to worry about". She was cat scanned yesterday, but haven't heard anything about that.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It can get very intimidating and it's easy to feel helpless. I just asked technical questions like; "What numbers are you looking at on this machine? What range is she supposed to achieve?". Half the time I was just googling what the machine's do, what IV is for what and holding my mom's hand. knowledge is power I guess.

Stay positive, especially around your mom.

20. Falcons Talon

Oh defiinitely. We know every beep, every alarm, every reading, every med...knowledge is power. I will say that these docs and nurses for the most part do everything they can to answer our questions to the best of their abilities and are doing a good job taking care of mom. On top of that, Mom is never alone. Either my father, my sister, or I am there to keep an eye on everything and be there with Mom.