1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allergies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Oct 8, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This rag weed pollen in Houston is out of control! Is anyone else being slaughtered by their allergies? I'm in such bad shape at the moment that I came home, showered, medicated and Im already in bed.

2. Poloshirtbandit

I've been itching and sneezing like crazy since Saturday.

3. The Boz

The Boz Member

Checking in. Having major allergy attacks. Sneezing. runny nose and watery eyes.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Probably teh aidz.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

My whole family is teetering on the edge of destruction. As a long time allergy sufferer, the key is to catch it early with Clariton, Allegra, etc. If you wait for 3-4 days before you start taking meds then you'll be behind the curve until the allergen subsides several weeks later.

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Also a long time allergy sufferer but sounds like I'm fortunate to not be in Houston right now. A Neti pot and Nasacort have been great additions to my battle this year. Highly recommend them to try for anyone who is just using anti-mistiness and eye drops.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I hear you. It's killing me and none of the allergy meds I've taken are doing much to help.

Screw pollen! I hate you little devils!

It sucked at work today. Minutes felt like hours and I couldn't focus. Hate this ****!

9. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

claritin ready-tabs have been helping for me. Nothing else I have is.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Likewise. My nose and eyes are especially effected... I take nasonex and Allegra everyday but even then the struggle is real.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Guess I'm allergic to something else.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A cocktail of Claritin D, Dayquil, BC Powder, and Emergen-C has back to about 80% today. Not sure if I'm just high or feeling better, but its better than the 25% that I was at this time yesterday.

14. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Yeah i've been suffering for 2 weeks now...I never remember it being this bad.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Killing me right now too.

Everyone on my floor at work is coughing and sneezing. Sounds like a dr office waiting room instead of a marketing department.

I never know whether to take cold medicine every 4 hours or Claritan once a day. If the Claritan doesn't kick in, you're kind of screwed because you can only take it once a day, right?

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

sneezing like crazy

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i haven't noticed anything but in Austin last weekend I was a wreck. I usually don't take anything but I had to cave because I was so stopped up and my throat was killing me.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It seems more tolerable in my area today.

I was looking at weather.com and found the pollen counts for yesterday as compared to today so far. This is in Fort Worthless.

Numbers represent total count for tree, grass and weed where available.

Monday - 210
    Tuesday - 317
    Wednesday - 3852
    Thursday - 482

I also took some Allevert yesterday evening. Not sure how much that helped but I seemed to clear up some congestion overnight while sleeping and am pretty clear so far today. But, I think yesterday was just really, really bad based on those numbers above.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Cold medicine won't work. You need an antihistamine. If you want a "quick fix" then try Benadryl. It's fast acting but only last 4 hrs or so. Be sure to read the label on how often you can take it. Claritin-D works for 24 hours but it takes 1-2 hrs to kick in.

You may find that Claritin doesn't work for you. Wait a day and then try Allegra. If that doesn't work, try Zyrtec. Different people respond differently to each. Claritin works for me but doesn't do a think for my daughter. She takes Allegra.

Also the "D" in the antihistamines can make some people feel loopy or drowsy so you can also try the non-D version. Both work for me with no side affects so I take full strength version.

Dubious and ima_drummer2k like this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Awesome, I need to print this post.

I never know whether I have a cold or just allergies. :confused: