1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allergies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Oct 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've been feeling terrible the last few days and the only thing I can figure is that it's allergies. Apparently Ragweed is bad right now. When I was younger I never had problems with them, but just recently they've become a major pain in my ass. Sinuses are completely stopped up to the point that I can't breathe or taste/smell anything. Sneezing, eyes itching and watering, throat hurts. UGH!

What do you guys recommend for an OTC solution? I tried Zyrtec yesterday and it seemed to relieve the symptoms a little, but I still felt like crap. Thanks.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

2 Claratin always works better than zyrtec for me.

But I have had ZERO allergy problems since moving to a different climate

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I got hit with an allergy attack like crazy on Sunday night. Didn't feel right until Wednesday.

I went to CVS to get some meds, I got some benadryl, claritin, zyrtec, tried it all... eventually it went away.

The guy behind the counter said that he had sold more Zyrtec and Claritin this week than he had all year. So you're not alone, allergy sufferer.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I almost started this thread last week. The tree pollen is killing me, almost making me feel like I have a head cold 24/7. I take the CVS brand of Zyrtec, but now double up on the pills and feel a little bit better. The crap in the air is seriously bad this year.

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

To me zyrtec doesnt help at all when allergies hit me bad i just take some benadryl and wake up a new man :)

6. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

i'm poor, i buy generic equate brand.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Is it common for meds like Zyrtec and Claritin to take several hours before they relieve symptoms? I noticed that I started to feel better last night about 3 hours after taking it. I figured that was just due to allergens not being as bad at night, but I've read a few things that make me think those meds just take a long time to kick in.

Since I've got bad sinus congestion and I'm out of the regular Zyrtec, I think I'm going to get some Zyrtec-D today.

8. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I been taking Claratin and a nasal decongestant all week. I always get bad allergies this time of year. Irrigation using a neti pot and gargling with warm salt water has helped out a lot.

9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Never tried Zyrtec, but the off brand claritin has always worked for me. Pop one first thing in the morning and you should be good to go for the rest of the day. Don't wait until your symptoms kick in.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You have to take Zyrtec daily for it to get into your system. It's not a quick fix.

I take the generic version of Zyrtec every day and Fluticasone, a nasal steroid spray (which you have to have a script for). Started that routine about three years ago; it's been the best breathing years of my life, especially around ragweed time.

Zyrtec went generic and over the counter about two years ago- you can get the generic (Ceterizine) Sam's version - $30 for six months worth.

#10 Xerobull, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  11. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

I'm having the exact same allergy problems you are having now. In the past, there were never quite as bad.

Claritin-D, 24 hour allergy & decongestant works wonders for me. You'll feel drastically better about an 1 after taking it. However, after about 24 hours, the symptoms begin to flare up again.

Goodluck!

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i've been sneezing like a mofo too.

benadryl ftw.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

F*! I thought I was the only one with "worse" allergies this year... but I see now that you dudes (and dudette) are having them worse, too. :(

One Zyrtec ain't working like it used to, before... two claritins, maybe? My eyes itch so effin' much! :mad:

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I take Zyrtec every day and it works well for me (note that at Costco you can get 365 pills for $.04 per pill of Aller-Tec)

15. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

In my early 30's I became very allergic to ragweed. Two years ago my doc prescribed me Flonase in the late summer through Christmas, and I no longer have problems. It takes about a week to get into your system and start working, but it works 100% better than any of the over the counter pills.

16. Angle02

Angle02 Member

I take Allegra-D and Advil Cold and Sinus liquid gels. Usually does the trick for me.

17. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

oh, and if any of you are interested, here is a pic of the evil b*stard of a plant that is causing us all this misery. If you look around town at any uncut field, you will see this stuff blooming everywhere.

[​IMG]

18. Hoee Ass

Hoee Ass Member

Ever since October 1, my allergies have gotten worse too.

I use Aprodine and Actified to get through the day.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Use that neti (netti?) pot Dr. Oz is always promoting....well i just use a small plastic bag and make a small hole in it, since i couldnt find the pot....basically rinses out your sinuses. I do it maybe twice a week and all the gunk drains out very well.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Claritin, or any off brand with the same active ingredient, works for me :)