1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allen Iverson was right about crooked cops

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by North Star, Dec 11, 2002.

1. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

True in the court room they have to prove that you are guilty however that doesn't stop the court from keeping you locked up until they prove you are guilty. If you are suppose to be immocent until proven guilty then why do you have to stay locked up until they prove you are guilty?

Is it right to keep an innocent man locked up?

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Who showed the cops made everything up? My understanding was that the statements of the two men who reported that Iverson threatened them were shown to be false under cross-examination at which point the prosecutor dropped the charges because there were no crimes to charge him with. Obviously, I'm not intimately familiar with the case, but on the face of it I don't see any malpractice here, except by the two men who exxagerated a confrontation with Iverson to get him arrested.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's called posting bail!!! most defendants are allowed to post bail...bail bonds make that affordable in most instances...if there is no bail allowed it means the evidence is overwhelmingly against you and the crime was heinous and/or you're a flight risk. or a suicide risk for that matter.

...there are a ton of flight risks...we caught the unibomber...it took years to find the guy....you really think it's a good policy to let people be on their own until the case against him is made??? do you have any idea how many psychos would claim other victims in that interim period?? do you have any idea how likely it is you'd never see the defendant again once you said, "ok..go home and come back and see us wednesday for trial??"

no..i think we'll stick with the current system..thanks, though!

4. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

Look, maybe I'm being a little paranoid. I'm just concerned about A.I. I adore the guy. I just don't want anything bad to happen to him that's all. I just want to Philly cops to back off and leave A.I. alone.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think the media is screwing up your perception of the American justice system. I think their credo is: "Allegedly guilty until proven innocent."

The statement gives AI a little shred of credibility for the remarks he made, but he shouldn't use it as some excuse to continue the embarrasment he has brought upon the Sixers and their fans. The dude needs to clean up his house first and foremost.

#25 Invisible Fan, Dec 13, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

BanginScrew, it appears that you have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the justice system and law enforcement. I know where you are coming from. it seems like the police always would find a reason to pull me over or accuse me of something.

when I was 15, I was accused of pulling a knife on some ten year olds. turns out I DID have a run-in with these punks, but they sensationalized it to their parents and told them I threatened them with a knife.

I had to go through a year of trials, and in the end, my parents were afraid that those little ****s would get up on that stand and convince a jury that I actually committed this crime.

we had to plead no contest to avoid the POSSIBILITY of being found guilty. I had to serve juvenile probation for a crime i never committed. that was almost ten years ago and it still resonates today.

so am I bitter? yes, somewhat. let me tell you another story. flash forward 8 years
    I was given a ticket on the subway for giving a homeless man a light for his smoke.

when the transit officer saw me light his cig, he decided that I was the one who should be ticketed, not the one doing the smoking. after all, a college student with an address is more likely to pay that ticket than a homeless man, right?

well I fought that ticket all the way to transit court. I represented myself and presented my case to a judge. she saw the evidence and agreed that the transit officer should NOT have ticketed me.

case dismissed. I was so happy.

I went home and called my dad and said "I beat the system."

he gave me some of the best words of wisdom he's ever given me.

he said "NO son, you were an integral part of the system. you showed how the system works, and it worked in your favor."

and the moral of the story is....