1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[All Your Leverage Are Belong to Morey]CBA won't let Landry go to another NBA team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2008.

1. smartfish

smartfish Member

I think we worry too much about losing Carl. Carl shined in the last couple of months, but that doesn't make him a star. He looks like a perfect fit in Rockets, but that doesn't mean he will achieve the same level of success anywhere else. Let's not forget that he is still a rookie. I have no doubt that we can lock him for the next 2 to 3 years.

2. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

That's true. We're worrying about nothing. Landry is a perfect fit for the rockets system where all he's really required to do is go grab rebounds, sit under the basket waiting for someone to penetrate, and dunk the ball.

Its harder to tell how he'd do if he was supposed to be a major cog in an offense and no ones going to pay big bucks for someone who isn't supposed to be a big focal point in an offense.

3. ekim

ekim Member

Great post...

Thanks for the info.

4. Seth

Seth Member

I think Landry will get a 3 year 9 millon contract. Up to maybe 3 years 11 millon, but not much more.

5. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Don't laugh too hard.

The Rox simply didn't have enough money left for Landry at that time. They signed the beloved SF3, they signed Scola and had to take Butler's contract and cut him, they resigned Hayes, they had to cut Sura and Reed, they convinced Deke to take a minimum just so his salary wouldn't be counted agaisnt the LT, which Deke wasn't very happy. After all that, not much left for Landry, and I belive that was one of the reason why we didn't have a team option on him - you can't have both a low price AND an team option, otherwise Landry's agent would be a joke - he's very unhappy.

GM's work is not easy.

6. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I am laughing hard actually!

If Morey agreed to guarantee Landry's contract, the Rockets will have Landry for 700K next season.

Morey tried to have flexibility this season to stay below luxury tax and that will end up costing Uncle Les millions next season. Luxury tax is coming! I am going to wait and see how Morey will lower the Rockets salaries below luxury tax next season.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Whatever pay raise Landry gets, it will likely be modest due to his restricted status and Gilbert Arenas provision (see analysis in the original post).

2. It's actually quite easy to lower the salary below luxury tax even after an pay raise for Landry (which probalby won't be more than $3-4 million next season). First, it depends on the tax threshold next season, which won't be determined for some time, but I believe it has gone up modestly each of the next few years. In any case, the Rockets are not expected to be anything more than $2-$3 million or so above it. Morey didn't have much trouble with it this season (yeah yeah, people b****ed about Bonzi, but the team seems to have survived), and likely wont' have much trouble with it next season.

It's not like he is working with the NY Knicks payroll.

3. Nobody said Morey knew Landry was going to be this good this fast. Morey himself said Landry was a suprise. I doesn't mean picking him wasn't a good decision. Not locking him up will end up costing the Rockets some money, but it's not going to be a lot of money, and Landry isn't going anywhere. That decision was simply a modest financial gamble-- they were guarding against the case that Landry busts and they could not trade their way out of the tax.

8. laneh

laneh Member

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Second round picks out of college get the rookie minimum. It would have been unusual if he had gotten more.

The lack of a second year option was a compromise. Morey wanted the flexibility of a partially guaranteed contract. Landry's agent refused. They settled on a guaranteed one year contract.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

hoops hype claims he has a team option 2nd year.

That is incorrect?

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Not to be an ass, but this has been covered already in numerous threads.

Clutch asked Daryl Morey himself what is the contract status of Carl Landry and DM answered one year and then he's a restricted free agent.

GM's word > some 3rd party bball site

More then likely hoopshype couldn't get the correct info on Landry so they just assumed he got the standard 2nd round pick contract like the other subsequent picks after him.

12. RocketTilIDie

RocketTilIDie Member

great post man...i hope landry will be a rocket for many years to come..i doubt it though :(

13. Lovemachine2000

Those of you who are losing sleep over the thought of losing Landry, you are doing yourselves a disservice unnecessarily! Like several other posters stated before this, while Landry has shown to be a solid bench player, he is not yet a proven player on a season-long basis. Two months of brilliance shows us a lot of Landry's talent and reckless abandon on the floor, but he won't demand anything more than a 3-year, $7-9 million for now. Will he be underpaid? If he keeps improving and puts up 12 & 6 every night or better, yes, but that's not certain. And while Landry plays like a real big man with his strong finishes and tough rebounds, one has to admit that he is undersized at 4. He IS NOT 6'9"! And he will have to play his hearts out while defending bigger opponents. Nothing against Landry's lack of size: He more than makes up for it in his fierceness in attacking the basketball and rugged rebounding. Landry's an intriguing young player, and I am sure we are all glad to have him. Just don't worry, we'll still have him for at least several more years without paying Brian Cardinal price.

14. moonset

moonset Member