1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Time Rockets Dream Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoopstar, Aug 26, 2009.

1. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

Ok stealing this from the thread in the NBA dish, but post your all time starting five of players who played for the Rockets and tell why you picked them.

Pg: Sam Cassell (clutch player, good midrange game, bonus pts for winning championships)
    Sg: Clyde (hometown guy, one of the best sg ever. excellent in transition and on defense)
    Sf: Tmac (He barely got the nod, but his talent is undeniable when healthy. Can do everything on offense and play lockdown defense when he wants to)
    PF: Moses Malone (tough, hardnosed player who can score and rebound)
    C:Dream (no explanation will be given)

So, I thought this would be easier than it actually was...If I had a second unit to go with my first team it would be:

pg: calvin murphy
    sg: Rick Barry
    sf:Robert Horry
    pf: barkley (sorry elvin hayes)
    C: Yao

1 person likes this.
  2. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

You deserve to be banned if you genuinely think sam cassell is better than calvin murphy.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't think you should ban a guy for preferring a PG who averaged 16 points, 6 assists, 3 boards over a guy who averaged 18 points, 4 assists, 2 boards in their respective careers. They played almost an identical number of games overall, in the same number of minutes per game. Sammy won 3 rings and also took the Clips, the TWolves, and the Bucks to the conference finals. Murphy helped Moses get us to the NBA Finals in 1981, but other than that year only won 3 playoff series in his career, all first round matchups.

People idolize Murph because he's a great personality and was a lifetime Rocket, and that's fine. Sam only played 3 seasons in Houston and came off the bench for us. Murphy was the better scorer, but not as good a distributor as Sam. Especially since the question asks, best player who played for the Rockets and not best season as a Rocket, I'd give it to Sammy, too.

Repped the OP.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Moses Malone was a center, not a PF. The Rockets have had two centers win the NBA MVP award so it's seems pretty simple that Olajuwon and Malone are your two centers.

Rick Barry played two seasons in Housoton and averaged 13.5 and 12.0 pts/game. Barry was a Hall of Famer, but the 35 year old Rick Barry who played for the Rockets was hardly an all time Rocket great. Compare Barry's numbers as a Rocket with those of Lewis Lloyd (who also played in an NBA Finals as a Rocket).

It's hard to leave Rudy T. off the list. Horry was a great role player, but Rudy T. was a perinial all-star.

You might want to take a look at Ralph Sampson's accomplishments with the Rockets. He had better stats than Barkley, he was a defensive force and he helped take us to the NBA Finals. Barkley is like Barry, a hall of famer, but he played here at the end of his career.

5. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

SamCassell mentioned it as well, but to reiterate, I'm looking at a player's entire career, not just the time he was with the Rockets. I just wanted to pose the question thit way, because it makes it a lot tougher. Obviously Barkley wouldnt be on my team, and probably not tmac, barry, and maybe clyde and horry as well if we were to just consider time spent with the rockets.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a shock, SamCassell is standing up for Sam Cassell!

Good argument though for putting Cassell over Murphy especially if we are looking at their whole career. That said if we are looking at their whole career how can you not but Barkley on the list of All Time Rockets greats considering he played here as long as Cassell did? Plus if we are talking about whole careers then Rick Barry has to be there even, (shudder) Pippen..

If it is All Time Rockets Dream Team I think we should confine it to career with the Rockets.

My team is:
    PG - Calvin Murphy. A good argument for Cassell but considering he was platooning with Smith while on the Rockets Murphy is a better choice.
    SG - Clyde Drexler. Mad Max, Lewis Lloyd and Robert Reid were good but Drexler is great.
    SF - Rodney McCray. McCray has long been overshadowed by the Twin Towers but he was a very good player and very important to the mid-80's Rockets teams. Even against the legendary Larry Bird he still held his own.
    PF - Ralph Sampson. This is tough one since Sampson's career was cut short before he even reached his full potential. For the few years that Sampson was healthy he was a phenomenal player. Second I would put Robert Horry who did all we asked of him and more after Otis Thorpe left and Horry was moved to playing PF
    Center - Hakeem Olajuwon. This is one category where you wished there could be multiple players since Houston has been blessed with four great Centers. Unfortunately for Yao, Malone, and Elvin Hayes its not even close.

7. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Wow no Francis. Glen Rice? Heck I figured Battier might have a chance. Carry on.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd take Elvin Hayes on my team, and have no Yao. Sampson and Francis would be great adds if you consider them pre-knee injuries.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That'd be a great backcourt. They can try to beat each other up as they argue over who gets to dribble the ball up the court. lol.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PG Kenny Smith
    SG Vernon Maxwell
    SF Robert Horry
    PF Ralph Sampson
    C Dream

The front line is giant athletic freaks with the shortest dude being Horry.

11. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

PG - Sam Cassell
    SG - Clyde Drexler
    SF - Tracy McGrady
    PF - Ralph Sampson
    C - Hakeem Olajuwon

Second Unit

PG - Calvin Murphy
    SG - Vernon Maxwell
    SF - Robert Horry
    PF - Charles Barkley
    C - Moses Malone

12. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

On second thought.....

13. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

PG - Vassilis Spanoulis
    SG - Rodrick Rhodes
    SF - Scottie Pippen
    PF - Earl Cureton
    C - Richard Petruska

No explanation needed.

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

V-Span over Bryce Drew and Matt Malloney?

PLEASE

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy
    Clyde Drexler
    T-Mac
    Elvin Hayes
    Dream

16. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I forgot my lineup.

PG - TMac Tracy can run the point and is the only Rocket to score 13 in 35
    SG - Da Glide Clyde is a top 10 SG in the history of the game.
    F - Ralph Sampson - I just want to see Ralph play another season, he was so special
    C - Dream - Greatest ever
    C - Moses Malone - Mean and nasty... I like that

Bench:
    Mad Max - Defense and Crazy
    Elvin Hayes - This guy should be in the starting lineup but he ain't as mean as Moses
    Barkley - Comic relief and a HOF player
    Sam Cassel - We let him go too early
    Yao - 7'5" and chinese shoe contracts (I'd like to see him in there with Ralph and Dream)
    Rudy T. - If he ain't playin he's coachin
    Steve Francis - Stevie was so much fun to watch when he was still hungry(moses might kill him for dribbling too much though)
    Otis Thorpe - Another mean nasty hard nosed post player
    Calvin Murphy - We may need points from the point and he's a snappy dresser

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I was DD I would rep you.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

John Lucas was the best true point guard to ever play for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  19. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Appreciate it. After all, he IS the T-Mac of Europe.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

PG: Sampson
    SG: Olajuwon
    SF: Malone
    PF: Mutombo
    C: Yao