1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-time NBA Match-up #2!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by 123Rockets, Jun 5, 2012.

1. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Okay, this is matchup 2

BigMaloe vs Horry33

Team BigMaloe
    PG - Oscar Robertson(30.8p, 12.5r, 11.4a)
    SG - Kobe Bryant(35.4p, 5.3r, 4.5a, 1.8s, .4b)
    SF - Paul Pierce(25.9p, 7.3r, 4.4a, 1.8s, .8b)
    PF - Bob Pettit(27.9p, 20.3r, 3.4a)
    C - Yao Ming(22p, 10.8r, 2.3a, .5s, 2b)
    Bench
    PF - Jerry Lucas(21.5p, 21.1r, 2.7a)
    SF/SG - Paul Arizin(25.4p, 11.3r, 2.6a)
    PG/SG - Goran Dragic - Hells yeah and what!

Team Horry33
    PG- Derrick Rose
    SG- Jerry West
    SF- Scottie Pippen
    PF- Elvin Hayes
    C- Wilt Chamberlain

PG/SG- Dennis Johnson
    SG/SF- Vince Carter
    PF/C- Dave Cowens

Thanks

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

BigMaloe

While Wilt was truly dominant, he never played anyone Yao's size. And even though he was dominant in his prime, he was way too inefficient to win enough. He would be chewing through over half the possessions on that team and he would be shooting about 40 foul shots...and missing a lot of them. That's a lot of wasted possessions. And can you see Wilt setting picks for Rose?? Nope! Pippen would be standing around wondering when he could touch the basketball and on that team, he'd really need to be handling it the most.

Lucas and Cowens is a wash. VC another volume shooter that takes too many inefficient shots. DJ good. Goran would give him fits though.

The Big O, an incredible combination of scoring and playmaking paired up with the likes of Kobe, Pettit, and Pierce, combined with a dominant Yao who is totally unselfish. That team marinates very, very nicely.

Big Maloe by a mile.

1 person likes this.
  3. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Alright thanks Jopatmc. If you want to do all the matchups today(if you want) they are all in the fantasy forum. Thanks again.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Team BigMaloe
    PG - Oscar Robertson(30.8p, 12.5r, 11.4a)
    SG - Kobe Bryant(35.4p, 5.3r, 4.5a, 1.8s, .4b)
    SF - Paul Pierce(25.9p, 7.3r, 4.4a, 1.8s, .8b)
    PF - Bob Pettit(27.9p, 20.3r, 3.4a)
    C - Yao Ming(22p, 10.8r, 2.3a, .5s, 2b)
    Bench:
    PF - Jerry Lucas(21.5p, 21.1r, 2.7a)
    SF/SG - Paul Arizin(25.4p, 11.3r, 2.6a)
    PG/SG - Goran Dragic - Hells yeah and what!

Team Horry33
    PG- Derrick Rose
    SG- Jerry West
    SF- Scottie Pippen
    PF- Elvin Hayes
    C- Wilt Chamberlain
    Bench:
    PG/SG- Dennis Johnson
    SG/SF- Vince Carter
    PF/C- Dave Cowens

Tough matchup for both the centers, but I think Wilt gets the best of Yao. He's quicker and can at times bother Yao's shot. I don't see prime Wilt destroying Yao on O, but he'll do enough for the advantage and likely get the favorable calls. I also think he'll run Yao to death in transition.

PG is fun. Oscar vs. Rose. I like the strength of Oscar to wear down Rose over the course of the game and Rose really has to pay attention at all times or Oscar will tilt the rebounding to his side.

At SF I like Pippen (never thought I would ever write those last three words in that order). His D will bother Pierce and I think he's a shade better fit for his team.

PF looks like a push to me. Similar size and skillsets. I probably would go with Elvin in a on-on-one game, but not by much. Would be fun watching these two battle for position and rebounds.

SG is tough. A legend vs the guy who wants to be a legend. I think prime Kobe comes out of this, but I also think West is smart enough to limit the advantage.

Bench: I like Team Horry33's bench better, primarily because Cowens can go to either the 4 or 5 while BigMaloe has no real backup for Yao.

rimrocker's verdict: Team Horry33. I'm a little worried about how Hayes fits into the offense, but I think the other 4, particularly West and Pippen, make it work just fine. BigMaloe might have the best backcourt but I think Horry33 has a huge advantage in the frontcourt when Yao is sitting for either rest or fouls.

5. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I'm going with BigMaloe here, 4-2

First of all, lmao @ jopatmc and his hatred of Wilt due to his era. Wilt would crush Yao, and I'm a big Yao fan.

I really like the West-Hayes-Chamberlain combination. Rose would be dangerous slashing to the basket from angles West sets up for him. But BigMaloe has too much firepower and Pettit is the perfect guy to protect a relatively weak rebounder like Yao. When you have a guy like Oscar running around with Pierce and Kobe, assassins who can close, next to him, there's just no game plan to stop it.

I don't think it will be a blowout, but BigMaloe has too many clinical players to really be troubled.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Appreciate the insight...

For the record pettit is my backup C when lucas is at PF and starting PF when Yao is at C...

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Thanks for your time and appreciatw the insight...

8. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks guys.

BigMaloe:2
    Horry33:1

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Big O vs D Rose
    Good match up. But I give the points here to Big O. His size and strength, & versitaltiy overpower Rose.
    +1 Big Maloe

Kobe vs J West
    This is the most interesting match up of the lot. Kobe, more athletic. West more of the all round game, and could pass the ball.:)
    toss of the coin...
    Tied

P. pierce vs Scottie Pippen
    Wow, another coin toss. The all round, defensive presence of Pippen or the smooth underrated game of the Truth. Nothing will stop Pierce from getting his, but Pippen would give him heaps of trouble. I was going to give it to Pippen, just, but he would probably get a migraine in game 6 and sit out on the last shot if it wasn't called for him....
    Tied

Bob Petit vs Big E
    Two legends face off. Bob Pettit, tough guy, awesome rebounder and scorer...ditto for Big E. My allegiance lies with the Houstonian, but this one is too close to call. Big E was more athletic, but Bob would have given him a cheap shot or two, just to keep him in check.
    Tied

Yao vs Wilt
    Damn. My second favourite player, Yao. (behind Dream of course) and THE MAN.
    say what you want, but in their prime, how could anyone pick against Wilt the Stilt?
    +1 Horry33

Big Maloe's bench, even with the inclusion of Dragic is more powerful than Horry33's bench, and in this match up, at least, would provide some extra help on Wilt and Hayes. In saying that Dennis Johnson was a winner...

If this was played pre 2000AD, I'd go with Horry33 hands down, if it was played today, Big Maloe's team would win with their super backcourt.....

I put down Big Maloe at first, but then looked over it again. Jerry West and Wilt were part of a 69 win champion team, Pippen 72, 69 & 6 championships. With an MVP point guard and Champion Power forward in Houston's own Elvin Hayes...

Horry33 in 7 very close games.

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I vote Big Maloe.

Horry33 has a good looking team, and I guess Jerry West could be their go-to guy. I might be a little biased on this one, because I think Wilt's numbers are a sham. They're a product of an extremely fast paced game, and I love Yao. But on the perimeter, watching prime Scottie guard prime Kobe would be epic! I think D Rose and Big O would have trouble guarding each other. Also, if you put Scottie on Kobe, who guards Paul Pierce? Paul won't be the man on that team, obviously, but he would get some open looks from Kobe. Very close, but I vote Big Maloe.

11. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks guys

BigMaloe:3
    Horry33:2

12. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

PG: This is a great matchup, but I belive that Robertson edges out Rose in this one. Robertson shot at an incredible rate for a PG and I think that he would grind down Rose throughout the game. Robertson is the better rebounder, passer, and the more efficient shooter. I guess that Horry has the better bench with Johnson over Dragic, but I do no see this as a meaningful advantage. BigMaloe

SG: Two laker greats going against each other, but I will have to go Kobe. Kobe and Pierce paired together would be lethal with Robertson feeding the ball (good thing this is prime Kobe and not recent Kobe). Although West was a steal machine, I strongly believe that Kobe would take care of the ball. Both are great defenders and I think that Kobe has the edge on offense especially when he catches fire. BigMaloe

SF: I like Pippen and I think that it is all about the fit within the team. Pierce would be a poor man's Kobe on that team and would be a volume scorer/rebounder. Pippen would primarily focus on D while taking high % shots. Pierce is the better offensive player, but there are only so many possessions in a game so I have to give the nod to Pippen Horry33

PF: While neither are high efficiency scorers, Pettit was truly great. Hayes is the better defender, but I feel that Pettit has the slightest of edges on the glass. I also think that Pettit fits within his team better with the great vision of Yao on the court BigMaloe

C: This is the matchup of this game. As mentioned earlier, Wilt never went up against anyone of Yao's size, but Chamberlain is the better athlete and would tire Yao out. It is so hard to compare Wilt to other generations, but he absolutely demolished the players around him on the glass and on offense. Yao would get his points with the shimmy, but also this position is the least deep for Maloe. Considering depth, I'd have to give the nod to Horry33

Bench: Favors Horry33, but not enough to change the outcome of this matchup... Dragic? c'mon :grin:

Matchup goes to BigMaloe

13. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks.

BigMaloe:4
    Horry33:2