1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Time NBA DRAFT Match-up 1!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by 123Rockets, Jun 5, 2012.

1. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

This is for the 9 judges that have been chosen...
    Jopatmc
    Rick Smith
    jank1434
    BasketballReasons
    IzakDavid13
    crash5179
    Ronny
    rimrocker
    StupidMoniker

Sigmund vs. QazQay

Team SIGMUND
    PG: Gary Payton
    SG: Kevin Durant
    SF: James Worthy
    PF: Willis Reed
    C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Bench:
    SG/PG: Manu Ginobili
    SF/PF: Robert Horry
    PF/C: Shawn Kemp

Team Qazqay
    pg: Bob Cousy
    sg: Michael Jordan
    sf: Carmelo Anthony
    pf: Pau Gasol
    c: Patrick Ewing
    Bench:
    Sam Jones
    Penny Hardaway
    George Mikan

All the judges are asked to give a pick on who would win between these teams and and explanation.

Note: These players are to be judged on their PRIMES. Not on their career, their PRIMES. Thank you.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

QazQay

Best player on those teams is MJ. And you're lining him up with a great playmaker in Cousy. That's unstoppable. Sigmund's team is nice but no clear facilitator. I'd be tempted to start Manu at SG with Payton just so I could have more distribution out of my backcourt. Payton was a great defender but he would be guarding a gnat(Cousy) that would be constantly finding MJ and Melo. You've got Worthy and Durant both playing out of position. Not to mention Reed and Abdul-Jabbar running over each other in the paint. I'd give Sugmund's bench the edge. Mikan was slow as a snail even in his prime. Doesn't really fit in to the modern basketball era. However, Penny is a wrecking crew and the good thing is QazQay has two starting bigs who would rarely foul out.

#2 jopatmc, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  3. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Explanation please?

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

This was tougher than I expected. I gotta give my vote to Sigmund. Kevin Durant is not in his prime, so I'm assuming he's the player he is today. He can't play SG. Also, he will get lit up by Jordan. But the rest of the roster is well put together, with a great bench. Meanwhile, qazqay's team has lots of talent, but looks like the Atlanta Hawks on steroids. His bigs look great, but this team screams Jordan... then everyone else. Melo would be useless, and would probably be a spot up shooter since Jordan needs driving lanes, and there are 2 bigs already in the paint area.

Nice team, qazqay, but I vote Sigmund.

5. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thank you very much.

6. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks.

7. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

So...
    Qazqay:1
    Kwame:1

7 more votes to go. Guys, you can move onto the other matchups in the Fantasy Forum. Thanks.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Team SIGMUND
    PG: Gary Payton
    SG: Kevin Durant
    SF: James Worthy
    PF: Willis Reed
    C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Bench:
    SG/PG: Manu Ginobili
    SF/PF: Robert Horry
    PF/C: Shawn Kemp

Team Qazqay
    pg: Bob Cousy
    sg: Michael Jordan
    sf: Carmelo Anthony
    pf: Pau Gasol
    c: Patrick Ewing
    Bench:
    Sam Jones
    Penny Hardaway
    George Mikan

This is an interesting matchup and seems to me quite even. I'm most fascinated by the SG position. Would Durant's length affect Jordan in any way? How would Jordan defend Durant? In the end, you have to go with Jordan, but this would be fun battle to watch and I think Durant would do pretty well. This is not a crushing advantage for Qazqay.

PG is a classic old school/young gun matchup. Cousy was a great, great player and revolutionized the game. Still, I have to give the advantage to Payton here. He's longer and quicker and would cause Cousy problems on both ends.

At SF, I'm liking Worthy slightly more. One, I'm not sure how prime Melo meshes with prime Jordan. Two, even on an all-time team, you need role players and Worthy, after playing next to Magic and Kareem, knows his role. I think Worthy plays good enough D to bother Melo and I don't see Melo running with Worthy for 4 quarters. Melo will get his points, but how much effort will it take and how will it affect his team?

For PF, I'm going with Willis. Fairly or not, Gasol does not seem clutch to me while Willis is the epitome of clutch with lots of heart on top. Gasol should be able to score over Willis but there is a problem in that Gasol likes the same block as Ewing and Melo needs to post up as well. As much as Gasol could beat Willis in the post, there are better options on the team for posting. When Willis is on offense, I think he can play off Jabbar on the backside or high post well enough. Plus, I think Willis out-hustles Gasol for rebounds and is willing to set some killer picks.

Center is another interesting matchup. Ewing is going to work hard and not give up. Jabbar is perhaps the best center ever. I think Kareem outscores Ewing by 5-7 and outrebounds him by 2-3.

Bench: I like Mikan as another big against Jabbar. Sam Jones and Penny will make it tough on Sigmund's 3 guard rotation. I'd probably start prime Penny over Cousy for more length and let Bob and Sam do their thing together.

I really like Kemp coming off the bench as he is quicker than Ewing, Gasol, and Mikan, plus he is not a dramatic dropoff from Jabbar on the defensive end as he can block a few shots and rotate well. Manu is a good backcourt backup and Horry, well, on paper, he doesn't belong but the results demand a different verdict. If he's in against Gasol at PF what does Gasol do with a Horry camped out on the 3-point line? If he comes out too far, Horry cuts by him and if he lays off, Horry hits a 3. Plus, prime Horry might not stop Gasol, but he would sure annoy him.

Team Qazqay has some excellent ball players, but I have doubts about how they would function as a team. Team SIGMUND looks built to run and has some very complementary pieces that can spread the floor. Team Qazqay has Jordan, but would he be able to make these players a team? Team SIGMUND has clutch Horry and clutch Reed. Are they enough to counter clutch Jordan?

rimrocker's verdict: Team SIGMUND. I can't shake the feeling that Team Qazqay would lapse into one-on-one play enough for the more balanced Team SIGMUND to eek out a win.

1 person likes this.
  9. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks alot man. Sigmund:2

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

(I'm assuming the matchups are going h2h in a best of 7 playoff series)

Sigmund

Gary Payton is one of the most underrated players... of ALL time, at ANY position. So despite all that Cousy did for the game, I give the backcourt advantage to the glove. Both were small for NBA standards, but Payton was a much more tenacious defender and wasn't a complete liability shooting the ball. Cousy didn't have a single season where he shot over 40%...

Jordan and Durant would be a fun matchup. KD would get abused in his current state, growing up in a watered down version of the NBA where you can't really defend your man. Who knows if he would be MVP esque if a tall lanky player like him had to deal with stronger shorter guys handchecking all the time. But it would be fun too watch a guy of his length and quickness go at MJ.

Qazqay's biggest weakness is his frontline - and their ability to disappear on their team without warning. Carmelo, Gasol and Ewing look great when they have it going, but they don't play both ends for 48 minutes. Ewing is the strongest of the bunch, but they're likely to get abused by a Worthy-Reed-Jabbar combination. That's too much class and tenacity for a pair of guys (melo gasol) who can get taken out of guys very easily. Reed would bruise Gasol and get him into foul trouble early on.

Kareem and the bench are also superior to Ewing and co.

Team chemistry is where it really comes together for Sigmund, whereas Qazqay has a bunch of great iso players who don't strike me as much of a unit.

4-1, SIGMUND

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Ok, first time judge...will do the rest of match ups after my mid week church service.

At the point Gary 'the Glove' Payton just over Bob Cousy, his defensive presence would be just too much for Cousy to deal with.
    +1 Sigmund

At SG...No contest, MJ wins this. Although, I believe that Durant would still be able to score on Jordan.
    +1 Qazqay

At Small Forward Melo vs Big Game James? This is too close to call. I would give the edge to Worthy for his all round play, but Melo can score the ball when he is focused, and his defence has improved.
    Tied

At the 4
    Willis Reed would punish Gasol. Absolutely abuse him down low and on the boards. Gasol only saving grace would be his ability to step away from the basket, but Reed gets the points in this match up in my opinion.
    +1 Sigmund

At centre, the greatest jump shooting center of my era vs the force of nature known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar.
    38387 reasons that Kareem takes this match up over Ewing.
    +1 Sigmund

Bench
    The bench match ups are about even, but the thinnest of edges would go to Sigmund's bench...Shawn 'Rainman' Kemp in his prime was UNSTOPPABLE!
    But then again so was Penny...
    Tied

Verdict... Any team with Jordan in it has the ability to win any series, especially if he is surrounded by the all star talent that he is on this team. That being said, the front line if Reed and Jabbar would crush Gasol and Ewing. The Glove would nullify the Coose and Durant would still put up big numbers on Air.

In a seven game series Sigmund wins 4-3

12. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks guys,

Sigmund:4

13. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Durant played all rookie year on SG. Durant is way more perimeter player than Jordan was, 36% of his shots are attempted in paint compared to Jordan's 51%. Just because he is taller doesn't mean he is out of position. Same for Worthy, he was forward who could play both forward position, something like Shawn Marion today.

On defense, I would put The Glove on Jordan. He held him under 25 points three games in a row in 96' finals. He is not only PG which won DPOY for nothing. Worthy would guard Cousy, which could cause even more problem for him than Payton. We all see guys like Sefolosha guarding Parker or Lebron on Rose last year. Lenght matters, that's why Pippen was more effective guarding Magic than Jordan, even though he was not better defender. Magic couldn't see over him.

I can execute high on half-court offense with Kareem on low block, with my perimeter shooting. Willis can make 15 ft jumper. I can go on beast transition mode with Payton-Ginobili-Durant-Worthy-Kemp. I have players who understand their role and can rise to the occasion.

Thanks y'all for voting.

14. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

If a team gets 4 votes before someone gets a chance to vote, is the vote still necessary? I'll do most of my voting between 10am and 4pm for these matchups in order to kill some time at work :grin:

15. Jamers

Jamers Member

i think it is best of 9 series (not sure though)..

16. jank1434

Sorry about that. I meant 5 votes

17. Jamers

Jamers Member

i think it's still good to give your opinion even the series is over.. You said you have a lot of time, so why not? :grin:

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Olajuwon just won a game 7 for you vs RocketsRed14!

19. Jamers

Jamers Member

Thanks! lol

20. jank1434

Alright, last matchup of the first round for me... I leave at 4, so I'll try to make it quick

PG: I am going to have to go with Cousy. People keep mentioning Payton's defense, but Cousy will not be relied on to score a whole lot with Jordan/Melo/Penny playing. Cousy will take his shots at a high percentage within the system. Payton will get his, and has good players to distribute to, but I think Cousy is the winner here Qazqay

SG: Jordan. Interesting putting KD on Jordan, but he is the best player on all of these teams. Durant length will bother Jordan, but Jordan will have a better performance than Durant. Durant will also put up some good numbers in this matchup, so the slight edge goes to Jordan Qazqay

SF: I'm not a huge Worthy fan, but I think that he gets a slight edge in this matchup. I do not see Melo being too effective in this lineup, and the only distinct edge he has in on rebounding. Worthy is the more efficient scorer, and neither were great defenders. Sigmund

PF: Another tough matchup. I feel that Pau has the shooting edge, but Reed has the rebounding edge by a good margin. Pau has the height advantage by a good margin over Reed and would make Reed work for his buckets. I'm going to give a small edge to Qazqay, but I will not be happy about it.

C: Kareem wins this matchup. He is just so fluid and was amazing on both sides of the ball. Jabbar has the height advantage, but I do not think that would bother Ewing a great deal. Ewing will struggle to get his points, but he will not be the main scorer with Jordan and Anthony. Point goes to Sigmund

Bench: I really like the versatility on both of these benches. Sigmund has a versatile player, clutch player, and an athletic freak all off of the bench. Qazqay has a volume scorer in Penny and Jones to pair along with a great big man in Mikan. I'll have to call these benches darn close to a tie.

Matchup goes to Qazqay by a hair.