1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Time Finals career averages and totals?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Caesar, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Is there a site that shows every players career averages in just NBA Finals?

I'm disappointed that basketballreference doesn't have a Finals Per Game category if it applies when i click on a player. I know they have a leaders section for Finals, but as far as averages, they only have leaders in PPG.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fj%2Fjordami01.html&div=div_playoffs_per_game"></script>

This is the kind of layout i am talking about, but for Finals Per Game

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm guessing you don't just want the stats for every finals game for a player, which you could use to make a table like that?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you are looking for Stats Under Pressure, imo, what would be equally interesting is stats for elimination series. Like notice how well Hakeem always did in elimination series leading up to the titles. Didn't freaking matter how much teams tried to stop him. And notice how Shaq's record was like 1-22 in elimination series before finally breaking through to win. I'm not sure what his stats were. Likewise, Pau Gasol was 0-12 in elimination series, at one point. What was Dirk, until he finally found beast mode.

How good or bad you do in the round you are eliminated equally measures how well you perform under pressure, vs the "easy" rounds and regular season. And since it has a much larger dataset, it's probably a better stat overall. You would also add either Finals outcome to those stats, as you don't want to filter out the stats of the champions.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I suppose you could also do some type of variance for all series.

In other words, which players maintained the most consistent stats throughout their playoff games each season would likely be the ones who defenses couldn't stop. Players like Curry who have good series and bad series are players who can be stopped ... vs Hakeem and MJ.

The statistics math whizzes would also try to reward stats above regular season...so variance due to Akeem destroying the Lakers in the 1986 WCF, well above anyone's season stats that year, does not adversely affect his variance score for that season.

In the variance measure, you could also discard all stats when the player lost in the 1st round as "not Qualifying" ... since you'd need two rounds to show variance. This would eliminate Tracy McGrady stats -- :grin:

#5 heypartner, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016