1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ALL-STAR WEEKEND Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jocar, Feb 14, 2014.

1. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I don't think I mentioned Kobe in any part of my post. Clearly, this whole efficiency stats movement is a justification for fans of teams with a lack of championships point to so they can justify that Kobe is not better than Harden. I think we can do a very straightforward scoreboard that hopefully you won't find nonsensical:

Total championship rings:
    Kobe - 5
    Durant- 0
    Harden- 0

Maybe some day they will hand out rings for most efficient ratings, but they still only hand them out for winning championships. Don't want to hear that Kobe had better teammates because Durant, Westbrook, and Harden were on the same team.

2. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I'm banned on the Rockets Moves portion of this site because I argued that Westbrook was better than Harden. Can someone re-instate me so I can contribute to some reasonableness?

To people that think Griffin can only dunk:

1. Watch some more Clipper games.
    2. If you can average 20 and 10 in your career and get all your points off dunks...why wouldn't you? A dunk is the highest percentage shot...if you could dunk on every play, why wouldn't you? Where are the efficiency nerds out there to back this one up?

3. clippy

clippy Member

I can see why you were banned. Your Kobe love is over the top and it's not cool to go on a site and troll their best player. I mean, I bag on Harden too because I think his game isn't very interesting, but the guy did a pretty amazing job last year (pretty much the same thing the Kobe fanbois hang their hat on in taking a team of no-names to a surprising playoff berth).

As far as the argument against Griffin. IF he were only a dunker and was able to get 20/10 that wouldn't necessarily be ideal because if you can stop the dunk, you can stop his game. Players need a bit more variety even when they have an unstoppable move-- eg, even Shaq had an assortment of midpost chippy shots. However, Griffin is certainly far more than a dunker and has been his entire career; for one, he's probably the best passing PF in the game and he's definitely the best ballhandling PF. So I'm glad his recent play is starting to expose that more.

4. slestack11

slestack11 Member

But if Griffin is averaging 20 PPG on dunks only, it would mean nobody can stop his dunks. Anyone that actually watches Clipper games will know that all those points aren't coming off dunks...but those that base all their basketball knowledge off box scores and ESPN highlights might think that it is how he's getting all his points. That said, if you can get all your points off dunks and nobody can stop it, why not? What is more efficient that dunking every point you get?

5. clippy

clippy Member

The argument against Griffin has traditionally been that he's just a dunker with no post moves, so when he plays a team that has a good physical defense (like the Grizzlies the last two years), he's not as useful because he can't score as easily. Now obviously this is simplifying the situation because Griffin is much more than a dunker and was "shutdown" against the Grizzlies largely because 1) he was injured and 2) they are an incredible defensive team. But IF he were just a great dunker, then the argument would have some merit. Capiche?

6. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

I think people wanted Blake Griffin to be a complete player way, way to soon. I have always preferred Blake to Kevin Love and found it ironic that people elevated Love because of Blake's playoff performances.

I think when it is all said and done, Griffin will be considered the superior player.

7. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The reason that I prefer Griffin over Aldridge and Love is due to things that cannot be taught. Improving post moves or a 20 footer is something that any player can improve upon. Teaching someone to be more athletic is something that you cannot teach. At 24 years old, I have more confidence that Blake Griffin resolving shooting issues, free throw efficiency, or even post moves is something easily improved. Being more athletic than anyone in the league other than Lebron is something that is not taught...it's god given.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's because he's a player predicated on athleticism, and those type of players tend to peak early and fall off early. Love pretty much slingshot past him, with a game that ages much much better (and its not like there's much of an age gap, it's about 6 months). Doc seems to have gotten Griffin to dedicate himself to grinding his team through the first 3 quarters, he might be the best player in the nba at that right now. Love, this year at least has been rather lousy in the 4th, that being said, they did add the league's greatest choker as the primary wing scorer, so it doesn't make life easy.

#1488 Aleron, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Aldridge is a much better player than Griffin.