1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-star voting results

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jan 11, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

no. the top 2 vote getters just to get to pick from the pool of 22 other players who will be on their team. (12 total from each conference)

the top 10 starters are all determined by fans, players, and media votes same as last year.

Coaches still select the 14 other reserves who play on the team after the starters are selected.

Ozzy likes this.
  2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Here we have been debating how difficult it is going to be to decide the guards from the West (Curry, Harden, Westbrook, Paul, Thompson, Butler, Lillard) and then Manu and Lonzo end up getting votes.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesnt really matter bc the players and coaches wont pick them anyway

4. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

oh ok thanks. was hoping Harden could get top voter and get the goat Bobby Buckets in

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh man the depth in the east is so bad...

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lillard gonna be mad again

34to11 likes this.
  7. photojoe

photojoe Member

No. It doesn't.

But it still proves that the average fan vote means absolutely nothing. Neither of them should be nearly that high.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Thunder (6th) and Pelicans (8th) are about to get more all-star players this year than Spurs (3rd), Wolves (4th), Blazers (5th) combined.

I predict the West lineup to look something like this after the players/coach votes.

Locked: KD, AD, Green, Curry, Harden

Potential: Cousins, Kawhi, Westbrook then a mix of CP3, Thompson, Butler, Towns, LMA, George for the last 4 spots.

IMO, George doesn't even deserve a spot this year, he's only being voted because of how many OKC fans there are outside of OKC.

I'm gonna be sad if CP3 doesn't make it but I think the coaches will get him in.

#28 RocketsFido, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I'm a little unclear with the format now.

I get that the top two vote getters are captains and they pick the rest of the team from those who made it. How does it work for starters?
    Do the captains first get the pool of the starters and divide those up evenly, and then go on with the remaining all stars? I'm assuming that's how its going to work.

EDIT: If that is the case, Curry's first pick would obviously be Durant, or vice-versa whoever wins that. Lebron's? I guess he may end up taking Harden first and clutchfans go crazy for summer of 2018!!! Or does he give Philadelphia that glimmer of hope by taking Embiid? I bet you he pulls some lame BS move and takes Kyrie knowing people will eat that s*** up saying how its a classy move

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

You still have the formal process of fan/player/coach votes which decides the 12 players in each conference, then from there the top 2 voted players from each conference draft the teams (non-televised) for the final roster of each team.

Also fan votes lose the tiebreakers so they actually are worth less than coach/player votes. Deservedly so.

We won't know how the order of the draft goes but yes, they'll likely pick their teammates first even though they don't have to.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah i understood that much, just don't get the "starter" label. Does this mean if you are one of the top vote getters i.e. Harden it does not necessarily mean you're going to start the game?

Not sure if you get what I'm asking. 10 players (5 from each conference) are voted in right? Usually this is advertised as the starters. What if the draft plays out where one captain ended up with more than 4 of those players on his roster? That would mean a top vote getter loses his starting job.
    Or do they have two rounds of draft? One for the top 8 vote getters (10 minus 2 because they are captains) and a draft for the other players selected?

EDIT: Oh wait...are you saying that there are no starters vote? Like these results are only for the two captains and then the rest of the roster are selected in the format you're describing (which partially includes these fan votes?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

the process doesnt determine the 12 players in each conference. it only determines the 10 starters

the other 14 players which are reserves (7 from each conference) are picked by the coaches only

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the 10 top players (5 from each conference) with the highest total of (fan vote-50%, players-25%, coaches-25%) will be the starters automatically. the only thing that the 2 captains determine is whose team they will be on.