1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Star Celebrity game participants Announced

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Matador, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Matador

Matador Member

This should be interesting. link

TNT presents the NBA All-Star Celebrity Game on Friday, Feb. 7
    NBA Legends, WNBA Players
    Added to Celebrity Game Rosters

NEW YORK and ATLANTA, Jan. 28 -- Next week TNT presents the NBA All-Star Celebrity Game on Friday, Feb. 7, at 8 p.m. ET. The NBA All-Star Celebrity Game is part of the more than 10 hours of NBA All-Star Weekend coverage by TNT, bringing together NBA Legends and celebrities, along with WNBA and NBA players.
    TNT analysts Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith will serve as team head coaches, while TNT's Ernie Johnson and Magic Johnson will call the action from the sideline.

Added to the rosters are NBA legends Moses Malone, Manute Bol, Muggsy Bogues and Spud Webb, as well as WNBA stars Nikki McCray, Ticha Penicheiro, Sue Bird and Rebecca Lobo. Additional participants will be announced at a later date.

TEAM BARKLEY

Tim McGraw: Grammy Award-winning artist

Ice Cube: Rap artist, writer, director and actor

Nelly: 2003 Grammy Award nominee for Album of the Year, Nellyville

Mark McGrath: Lead singer for Sugar Ray

Nikki McCray: WNBA Indiana Fever guard, started in the 1999, 2000, and 2001 WNBA All-Star Games

Ticha Penicheiro: WNBA Sacramento Monarchs guard, Started in the 2002 WNBA All-Star Game

Moses Malone: 12-time NBA All-Star, three-time NBA MVP

Spud Webb: Slam Dunk Champion, 1989
    TEAM SMITH

Justin Timberlake: 2003 Grammy Award nominee pop artist, original member of 'NSync

Jamie Foxx: Comedian, actor

Brian McKnight: Recording artist

Roger Lodge: Host of the syndicated television program "Blind Date"

Sue Bird: WNBA Seattle Storm guard, started in the 2002 WNBA All-Star Game

Rebecca Lobo: WNBA Houston Comets forward, selected to the 1999 WNBA All-Star team

Muggsy Bogues: At 5-3, he is the smallest player in NBA history and one of the NBA's all-time leaders in assist-to-turnover ratio

Manute Bol: At 7-7, Bol is still the tallest player to have played in the NBA, blocking more shots per minute than anyone in league history.

2. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

OK, who wants to see Spud, Muggsy, and Manute stading side by side?

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

"Added to the rosters are NBA legends Moses Malone, Manute Bol, Muggsy Bogues and Spud Webb"

Manute, Muggsy and Spud are legends? Oddities maybe but not legends.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Actually, I would love to see a picture of Yao and Manute standing side by side.

I bet Bol gets his fair share of blocks in that game. :)

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Gawd, I can't wait for the WNBA to go out of business so we don't have to see them during all star weekend anymore...

The NBA, god bless 'em, they're TRYING to get the WNBA some attention, but the only cities that care about women's pro hoops are Houston, LA, and NY

6. Matador

Matador Member

OK here's a line-up for another All Star event.

3 on 3 hoop it up

ATLANTA TEAM
    Dominique Wilkins: Atlanta Hawks all-time leading scorer
    Jason Terry: Atlanta Hawks guard
    Sheryl Swoopes: 2002 WNBA MVP and Houston Comets forward
    Frankie Muniz: "Malcolm in the Middle" star

LOS ANGELES TEAM
    Corey Maggette: Los Angeles Clippers forward
    Lisa Leslie: 2002 WNBA Finals MVP and Los Angeles Sparks center
    Magic Johnson: Los Angeles Lakers, winner of five NBA championships (1980, '82, '85, '87, '88)
    Ashton Kutcher: "That '70s Show" and "Just Married" co-star

link

My question is why the heck is Swoopes playing for a team that represents Atlanta? Did she move there?

#6 Matador, Jan 30, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2003
  7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Methinks it's because too many WNBA teams have folded or moved to non-NBA cities. Unlike the previous 2 (3?) years, I guess they can't afford to have 3-on-3 for every NBA and WNBA cities. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that WNBA teams are no longer owned by the league.

But why Sheryl would play for team Atlanta? It's more of a geography thing than city thing I suppose. Maybe it's because Sheryl was MVP, but Leslie won it all.

I don't know why are you making me think.*

*All posts with this symbol (*) are meant to designate that I have the flu and am not thinking correctly or can clearly make thought easy read. Influenza go bye in days hope.