1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ALL NBA TEAMS- NO FRANCIS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LOSDOG, May 31, 2001.

1. LOSDOG

LOSDOG Member

Iverson, Duncan Lead All-NBA Team
    NEW YORK, May 31 -- Adding to an already spectacular season, NBA Most Valuable Player Allen Iverson was named to the All-NBA First Team when the league announced the 2000-01 All-NBA Teams today.
    Allen Iverson added All-NBA honors to his MVP season.
    The Los Angeles Lakers' Shaquille O'Neal, Phoenix's Jason Kidd, Sacramento's Chris Webber and San Antonio's Tim Duncan join Iverson on the first team. Iverson led all players with 120 first team votes and in total points received from voting with 612.

The 124-member voting panel of writers and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada consisted of 37 national media members and three media members who regularly cover each of the league's 29 teams. They voted for All-NBA First, Second and Third Teams by position, with points awarded on a 5-3-1 basis.

This marks the fourth All-NBA First Team appearance for Duncan, the third for Kidd and O'Neal, the second for Iverson and the first for Webber.

The All-NBA Second Team consists of the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant, Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Orlando's Tracy McGrady, Philadelphia's Dikembe Mutombo and Toronto's Vince Carter.

The All-NBA Third Team includes Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, Milwaukee's Ray Allen, San Antonio's David Robinson, Seattle's Gary Payton and Utah's Karl Malone.

Following are the results of the voting for the 2000-01 All-NBA Teams, with First Team votes in parentheses:

All-NBA First Team Pos. Player, Team Pts. 1st Votes
    Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio 608 (115)
    Forward Chris Webber, Sacramento 596 (109)
    Center Shaquille O'Neal, L.A. Lakers 581 (115)
    Guard Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 612 (120)
    Guard Jason Kidd, Phoenix 423 (54)

All-NBA Second Team Pos. Player, Team Pts. 1st Votes
    Forward Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 424 (25)
    Forward Vince Carter, Toronto 287 (11)
    Center Dikembe Mutombo, Philadelphia 238 (0)
    Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 411 (36)
    Guard Tracy McGrady, Orlando 318 (21)

All-NBA Third Team Pos. Player, Team Pts. 1st Votes
    Forward Karl Malone, Utah 197 (0)
    Forward Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas 56 (0)
    Center David Robinson, San Antonio 165 (0)
    Guard Gary Payton, Seattle 117 (1)
    Guard Ray Allen, Milwaukee 105 (3)

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Jerry Stackhouse, Detroit, 54 (3); Rasheed Wallace, Portland, 51; Michael Finley, Dallas, 44; Paul Pierce, Boston, 38; Stephon Marbury, New Jersey, 38; Antonio McDyess, Denver, 34; John Stockton, Utah, 32 (1); Steve Francis, Houston, 29 (1); Glenn Robinson, Milwaukee 20; Antonio Davis, Toronto, 17; Vlade Divac, Sacramento, 17; Marcus Camby, New York, 11; Anthony Mason, Miami, 6; Theo Ratliff, Atlanta, 5; Shawn Marion, Phoenix, 4; Jalen Rose, Indiana, 4; Latrell Sprewell, New York, 4; Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Vancouver, 3; Brian Grant, Miami, 3; Allan Houston, New York, 3; Terrell Brandon, Minnesota, 2; Sam Cassell, Milwaukee, 2; Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana, 2; Elden Campbell, Charlotte, 1; Antawn Jamison, Golden State, 1; Rashard Lewis, Seattle, 1; Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento, 1; Antoine Walker, Boston, 1.

------------------
    http://www.nba.com/news/all_nba2001_010531.html?nav=ArticleList

[This message has been edited by LOSDOG (edited May 31, 2001).]

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hard to argue with that, IMO.

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Those are the right picks at guard. The only POSSIBLE exception you might have is with Payton making the list, but he's really carrying the Sonics basically by himself, and they had the same record as us, so it's justifiable.

Stackhouse deserves recognition for his great year, Stockton continues to suprise with his longevity, and Michael Finley led his team out of darkness and obscurity.

How can you argue with that?

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

4. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

Kidd over Kobe?!?! What did Kidd do? Led his team to the 1st round of the playoffs, lead the league in assists. Wow... Kobe only was named the best player in the league by Shaq, shut down Kidd every time the lakers play him for the last two years. Score, pass, defend, rebound. Let's see, who has performed better in the clutch? This is crap. Ask every single GM in the league including the suns GM who is better.

While we're at it... Payton over Francis?! Seriously, Payton wasn't that good this year. Francis was.

All these postseason awards are bull.

------------------
    Greatness is not a
    singular act, it is a
    habit. You are what
    you repeatedly do.

[This message has been edited by hotshotrbs2 (edited May 31, 2001).]

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

How did Stockton get more votes than Steve?

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

6. ricky812

ricky812 Member

the reason kobe was second team is because each team must have one player at each position. And since Iverson was mvp playing sg there was no way kobe could be in a higher team than the mvp.

------------------

7. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

well no, you have to have 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center. That's why Webber and Duncan are on the same team. I believe last year it was Kidd and Payton?

------------------
    Greatness is not a
    singular act, it is a
    habit. You are what
    you repeatedly do.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

He's old and isn't very athletic.

Seems alot of so-called "NBA Experts" prefer that to young and athletic.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thats terrible. I thought Francis should have been on the First Team. I know thats going out on a limb since Kidd gets alot of Hype.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

10. Toast

Toast Member

I'm sure he found a way to cheat somehow. That dirty b@stard.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

11. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Why would you think Francis should be on the First team? [​IMG]

------------------
    Technically speaking, we're #1!
    ~Portland fans

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Francis is better than both the 3rd team guards.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, at least the "anti-Houston" conspiracy theorists haven't chimed in...

Damn, I did it now...(cueing X-Files theme)

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/012864.html

I'd say I got pretty darn close. Tho I picked Kobe over Kidd for 1st team.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

15. Beto_Lluvioso

Beto_Lluvioso Member

If you watched the last game between Kidd and Francis, when the playoffs were getting close and Kidd scored 41, then the choice seems more logical.

------------------

16. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Lil Francis,

If I would put Francis on the First team, it's because I am a Rockets fan. Other than that, he doesn't deserve to be on it. If you're talking about the Third team, I wouldn't disagree. I'd take him over Ray Allen any day. [​IMG]

Be calm! He'll be on it VERY soon. This boy is incredible! [​IMG]

------------------
    Technically speaking, we're #1!
    ~Portland fans

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Why not?

------------------

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

There were two glaring mistakes:

1) Kidd should not have been first team. Kobe (my choice) or McGrady (who was listed as a guard on the 2nd team) clearly were better than any other guards this year not named Iverson.

2) Allen should not have been on any team. Stackhouse, Marbury or Francis are three "easy" better picks as the last 3rd team guard to make it.

I also have a slight contention with Duncan's overall placement--he should not have been leading vote getter. Shaq, Iverson and Webber had better years.

In fact, Webber perhaps would have been my first overall pick if not for his late season injury which make him Duncan, and KG all close calls as being the top overall forward. Remember Duncan did not elivate his play until late in the season and the playoffs. He was less consistent throughout the season than KG, and his overall resume was less impressive than Webbers, though I agree it very close between these three this year.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited June 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited June 04, 2001).]

19. SPTSJUNKIE

SPTSJUNKIE Member

First off, I'm a Kings fan

Second, I think Kidd got first team honers over Kobe, because the award is based soley on the regular season. In the regular season, Kobe bickered with Shaq and hurt at times had an adverse effect on the team. This also might have hurt Shaq if there was another center even close to his capabilities in the league. Meanwhile, Kidd put and undertalented, injury ridden Suns team on his back, particularly after Marion hit the wall, and really led them into the post season.

Regarding Francis, I thik he's a very special player and will be on a number of all NBA teams for the next decade or so, but there were more deserving canidates thie year. Give him another couple years and he'll be one of the top players in the league. I know that's hard to do when your a loyal fan, especially in a non-playoff year when individual accolades give more meaning to the season.

------------------
    Feel free to visit http://pub52.ezboard.com/fthebleachermobfrm1 for informative, intellegent Kings talk.

20. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I don't know about that. Allen is pretty special too even though he did some uncharacteristic things lately. Let's just say that picking the guards is very competitive. Iverson took what? nearly five years before getting his due. The same case applies for Francis

------------------
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till the other is ready." -HDT