1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All NBA Draft Part 2

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ricksmith, Aug 31, 2011.

?

Do you want a hard salary cap?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2011.
  1. Yes, 70 million hard cap.

48.5%
  2. No, makes it too complicated.

51.5%
  1. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I've run into a problem using a salary cap. With free agents, what do we do? Do we use their 2010-11 salary, or try to guess what their new salary will be? For example, Deandre Jordan's qualifying offer is just over 1 mil, but we all know he will be paid at least 6 mil. Should his salary cap number be 1, 6, 7, 8, etc?

2. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

2010-2011 contract

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I vote no salary cap.

4. Ricksmith

I guess so, although some guys will be massively underpaid. $75,000,000 hard cap.

5. Ricksmith

This damn lockout is ruining the salary cap for this draft :mad:

Screw it, if we're using 10-11 stats, might as well use 10-11 salary. Now we gotta wait til the final members only vote count for the salary cap.

6. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Is the poll public? Can't tell on my phone

7. Ricksmith

Yeah, you click on the number of votes to see. It says 3 to 2 right now, but it's really 2 to 2. The 3rd vote must've been a visitor.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If we don't use salary caps, there's no new worthwhile dynamic to this exercise. its essentially the same thing we just did. and even though that was fun, i have no interest in doing it again.

9. Spooner

Spooner Member

Um.. so I take it no one cares about the teams they just put together?

With all the problems in the last draft.... (2 for 1 trade are you freaking kidding me?) you really expect a cap to work? this could get too complicated for some. Just have to be honest.

10. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I did care until I got 95 votes

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

how is it complicated? we know what the salary cap is. just keep a running total of the salaries of the team you're building. if you're getting close to the salary cap, then you'll have to pick up players for the vet min the rest of the way.

i cared about the team i just built. i put a lot of thought into it, and i honestly think that i built the best overall team despite starting out with the biggest disadvantage. but people are taking advantage of the anonymity and voting based on the person instead of the caliber of the team.

12. Ricksmith

I appreciate your opinion and your honesty, but the draft we just did is getting out of hand. There's a few people who might get eliminated due to confusion or cheating. The salary cap will be 75 million, using hoopshype's salary listings. I'll post a link to the salary page in my original post.

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

What??? Please explain why your team would have a chance against mine. There is just way too much complaining and delusional thinking for me to not reasonably assume this will be a failure.
    You all want to redo something because it didn't come out exactly the way you wanted? The prospect of a team being better than yours is too much to handle? I'm sorry but I'm out. Find someone else to take my spot. I can't take the whining anymore. Christ are you people serious?

14. Ricksmith

I hate to skip Ubigman since he has the 1st pick in the draft, but he has about 10 more minutes before it hits 3 hours. I emailed him through the board around 11 also.

15. Ricksmith

We're not all whining, we thought it was fun and wanna do it again. If you wanna give your spot away that's fine, but please don't think 15 of us are drowning in our own sorrow because our original teams weren't good enough.

16. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Since poll is a basically in favor of no what do we do? Cap or no?

17. Ricksmith

I was gonna give it the full 24 hours to see the results. Having a salary cap or not shouldn't affect the 1st round. The star players are gonna get picked up no matter what. I really want the cap, but I know it will cause confusion. The extra challenge of building a real team and being under a real cap makes it more fun, but everyone seems split about this.

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

when will the draft take place?

19. Ricksmith

First Round
    1. Ubigman
    2. Jeff Who
    3. Torque
    4. Alvin Choo
    5. Sydeffect
    6. VBG
    7. RowdyRicky
    8. ICanDunkOnYao
    9. arjun
    10. AFS
    11. thething
    12. RocketsRed14
    13. RedNation
    14. wekko
    15. fadeaway
    16. Jmcballer88

20. Ricksmith

Give Ubigman til 2:30, then it'll be your go.