1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Inclusive Vacation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chocolatebear, Jul 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

Anyone have experiences with all inclusive vacations?

Wanted to go on one, but wasn't sure if it is worth it.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

The groupon ones are legit

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

We've done several. One to The Bahamas, and two to Playa Del Carmen. They're a great value, especially if you drink alcohol. Playa Del Carmen is very nice, especially for families. I personally wouldn't stay in Cancun unless your in your early 20s. It's basically just like Miami with no real personality- lots of chains, many of which can be found in The U.S.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Obvious answer is it depends on how much the all inclusive fees are, what truly is included and what you feel make it worth it. Some all-inclusives charge extra for top shelf liquor or higher priced menu items (e.g. lobster).

If the fees are $150 per day (in addition to the room charge) per adult , then you have to decide if 3 meals, raiding the mini-bar, riding a kayak, using the workout facilities and liquoring up are worth it to you.

5. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

In my experience you get what you pay for All Inclusive resorts. There are many 5 star rated resorts in Playa Del Carmen that are worth the money. I personally like the adults only resorts, just make sure you read up if you are taking a spouse/girlfriend. There are some that have nude beaches and might not be your thing.

P.S. Beware of the timeshare program! It is a high pressure sales pitch that will typically last 2-3 hours.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

All-inclusives may be a little more expensive in the long run (depending on how much you drink), but there's something to be said for just paying for everything up front so you can relax and enjoy your vacation without worrying about how much it's going to cost when it's over.

You've already paid for it, so why not just relax and enjoy it?

Just take about 100 1 dollar bills and tip your bartenders for every drink. You can still get the top shelf liquor once the bartender knows you are going to consistently tip.

7. SuraGotMadHops

I've done all inclusives to Playa Del Carmen and enjoyed them. Good resorts, good value. Would recommend.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

They're hit or miss. Do some research online for the best ones.

They're a great way to unwind for a few days - no worries about what to do or what to eat. Just relaxing.

9. bobrek

Totally agree. Forgot to put this in my reply. Also, we tend to book our trips 6+ months in advance, so it's like a free trip. :)

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Totally worth it. I recommend cancun, because on top of the cheap resort prices, they have a ton of attractions. Pyramids, explor, etc...

If you can afford to go to the resorts that are a bit more pricey than the others, then I would.

They offer better services like room services, higher end alcoholic drinks etc.

If you do one stop flight, you are looking at about $700 per person for 5 nights.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

For all inclusive? No way Jose. More like 1000+ for 5 nights.

I've been researching this for almost 2 years now trying to plan a trip to Cancun/Playa/Cozumel.

As for "is it worth it?" I'd say usually no, but there are a handful that actually are. Just check tripadvisor and you will see pretty clearly which ones have crap food/drinks and which ones are priced well and serve good stuff.

Also, if anyone has the hot tip on any beachfront resorts in Cancun/Playa/Cozumel for around 160 a night or less, let a brother know.

12. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

This is the important part. Don't follow just the cheapest ones. Research each one. Noise level, how muhc walking, food quality, drink choices, services.

Some may have bad reviews on items that you dont care about like noisy lobbies. But dont just shrug off bad reviews, if you think noise may be a problem for you, then more than likely it will bother you.

Also make sure to double check the hotel if you get special offers. Such as jacuzzi in the room or any room upgrades. Sites like expedia offer these and then when you get there, you have to argue with them to get it. And chances are you'll spend a few hours moving rooms.

We just came from cabo about a month ago. Our first room was by the elevators, so it was contantly loud. Even when people were talking normally. We moved to another room, but even though moving wasnt too much of a hassle, id still rather do other things than worry about moving rooms.
    Trip advisor is your friend.

13. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Also put a couple bucks in the minifridge each day and they will double your beer, soda and water for you.

14. bobrek

Or, if you run out, just call and ask them to bring more. :)

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

We went to The Beloved in Cancun last year and loved it. Low-key (I'm in my late 30s), and not crowded. I think everyone receives the same excellent service. We had one of the most expensive rooms, so maybe we got a little extra, but I actually think they just are awesome to everyone.

Yeah, bring the tip money. Though you have already tipped with your all-inclusive price, the people serving you will most definitely hook you up if you are tipping.

The food is OK, but I think it's because I'm spoiled by Houston food.

We have a trip planned to the sister resort Excellence next door at Playa de Mujeres.

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

ive heard all-inclusives are for xenophobes and alcoholics

17. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

100 drinks? Must have just been a weekend trip.