1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"All I wanted to do was get layups. That's all I was really searching for."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chuck_Ferrari, Jun 1, 2016.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Is Mike D Antoni going to be shocked when he finds out Brewer can't shoot and finger rolls his lay ups from the free throw line?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rudy T was the originator and visionary. The NBA even changed rules because of the stuff he came up with.

3. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

I could be wrong but I don't recall Morey emphasizing an "order" per say, but rather, that there is more value in taking shots at the rim, at the free throw line, and at the 3. With an effective and dominant penetrator in Harden, driving hard to the rim increases the likelihood of opening up any of these opportunities with a higher likelihood of gaining points in the long run.

Harden does seem to favor the order of drawing a foul as the primary option, as does Corey Brewer to much dismay last season and an uncontested shot from the free throw line is a high percentage shot (for him). I don't know if that is necessarily Morey's doing, or Harden's free will.

4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

In my opinion defense and discipline have to come from the players themselves. Defensive princicples have not changed since you learned the game in jr high. Slide your feet, dont cross them over, maintain a ball- you - man relationship, deny next pass, help and recover, close out on shooters, box out, communication. Those things and along with effort, make a good defender. A coach can yell, threaten, and all of that, but if the player doesnt put forth the effort, it will not matter. Bottom line is we just need to get better players on the team. Obviously this year there was a chemistry issue going on, you could just see the guys didnt play the same together like they did last year. James better come ready to play this summer when camp starts.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There are countless case studies available where a good defensive coach comes in a turns a poor defensive team into a good one. The Rockets had Beverley/Dwight/Ariza starting and still managed to play **** defense. If Pop or Thibs were coaching the team, does anyone really thing that the outcome would still be the same?

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Taken out of context, this is hysterical.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry so much about the chicken or the egg. The point is that one frees up the other.

But generally yes layups are the best shots.

8. bmd

bmd Member

It didn't matter as much back then because the illegal defense rules forced players to follow their man out by the 3 point line even if that guy couldn't shoot. The rules stretched the floor for them.

For example... you could put Dennis Rodman in the corner, and his man would have to follow him out there even though Rodman couldn't shoot a lick from 3 because the rules required each player to guard a man and not an area on the floor.

After they got rid of the illegal defense rules in 2001, players didn't have to follow bad shooters to the perimeter. So they could leave them open and protect the paint instead.

So in order to stretch the floor, you had to have someone who could actually shoot.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

True, except he couldn't figure out a way to beat the Seattle zone, which ultimately led to the Barkley trade, Pippen signing and slide into two decades of mediocrity.

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I get what you are saying, but those coaches you mentioned have good players that bought in together. Our players did not buy in. The chemistry was off and you could see it every game. We just need a better culture on the team. Maybe having a better free flowing offense where everyone is getting involved will help with chemistry and effort on the other end.