1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Changes Post George Floyd Here

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 11, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. conquistador#11

This is out of control. How are we supposed to fend off Alien Predators?

But since we're on the topic, I demand STARZ to remove "COLORS"!!. They have the freckled ginger from Can't Buy Me Love playing a vato loco, homes.
    That ain't right, ese. (I missed Kenneth Wurman's quick scenes when I watched this movie ages ago.It actually adds some comedic value to a tragic movie about East LA) r.i.p whitey.

#42 conquistador#11, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Betty White.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Eazy and. Betty? How did I not see this. ...How is it not hanging over my fireplace?

Nook likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the band formerly known as Lady Antbellum had settled with the blues singer known as Lady A..

8. KingCheetah

Wut?

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I took a look and it sounds like the former Lady Antebellum can't come to terms with Lady A. Lady Antebellum is claiming that Lady A never objected to their use of "Lady A" until 2020, which seems odd since Lady Antebellum didn't announce they were changing their name until 2020. My guess is the bigger issue is Lady A is asking for $10 million.
    https://pitchfork.com/news/lady-a-formerly-lady-antebellum-sue-seattle-blues-singer-lady-a/
    Lady A, Formerly Lady Antebellum, Sue Seattle Blues Singer Lady A
    “We are sad to share that our sincere hope to join together with Anita White in unity and common purpose has ended.”
    By Eric Torres

July 8, 2020
    Last month, the band Lady Antebellum announced they would be changing their name to Lady A, apologizing for using a name associated with slavery in America. The following day (June 12), the Seattle-based Black blues singer Anita White, who has gone by the name Lady A for more than two decades, spoke out about the country band’s decision.

Today (July 8) the band Lady A have filed a lawsuit against the singer Lady A. They are asking a Nashville court to grant its right to the trademark of the name, documents viewed by Pitchfork confirm. The lawsuit notes that the band isn’t asking for monetary damages or attempting to prohibit White from performing under the name Lady A.

“Today we are sad to share that our sincere hope to join together with Anita White in unity and common purpose has ended,” the group said in a statement. “She and her team have demanded a $10 million payment, so reluctantly we have come to the conclusion that we need to ask a court to affirm our right to continue to use the name Lady A, a trademark we have held for many years.” Read the band’s full statement below

The lawsuit further claims that the band applied to register the name “Lady A” for entertainment purposes, including live performances and streaming programming. “Prior to 2020, White did not challenge, in any way, Plaintiffs’ open, obvious, and widespread nationwide and international use of the LADY A mark as a source indicator for Plaintiffs’ recorded, downloadable, and streaming music and videos, Plaintiffs’ live musical performances, or Plaintiffs’ sale of souvenir merchandise,” the suit states. White has performed under the name while touring and on recorded music released as far back as 2010, but the suit claims that “prior to 2020, White did not challenge, in any way, Plaintiffs’ open, obvious, and widespread nationwide and international use of the LADY A mark.”

Last month, Lady A claimed they and White had come to an agreement. “They have agreed that both should continue to move forward as Lady A,” a publicist for the band said in a statement on June 16. On the same day, White told Newsday that the claim from the band was premature. “I’m not happy about [it] yet again after talking in good faith. … Their camp is trying to erase me and I’ll have more to say tomorrow. Trust is important and I no longer trust them.”

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My lawyer son has a show for everything

jiggyfly, Nook and Kim like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

wow .

idk who trafon is but i hope hes trolling .. thats a step too far lmao

12. KingCheetah

It's ok to just call him 'son'.

ThatBoyNick and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why is it a step too far to have a black person voice a black character?

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Its not , its too far to have only black people voice black characters ..

its ****ing voice acting .. the whole point is that its ACTING haha

would you consider this rascist ? a cartoon about slavery where a bunch of white actors portray the slaves and black actors voice the masters ? or would it be better for all the black actors to have to play the slaves ?

i thought the color of skin wasnt supposed to matter

dachuda86 likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Voices don't have color.... the more you know. Next thing you know white writers won't be allowed to write black characters' inner monologue. Or a new rule... screen writers must have a person of each race write those specific dialogue lines for those characters.

Hey let's look at white people playing black characters. Is it REALLY the same as black face from the past when the joke was "black people" are lesser. Look at Jimmy Kimmel. The dude did a great immitation of Karl Malone and dressed the part, but not once made fun of his blackness. How is this racist? Surprise... it's not racist. Why? Because context matters.

v.

[​IMG]

#55 dachuda86, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

18. Invisible Fan

Noooooo

With World Champion Rockets Legend Jerry Lin retired, we need all the role models we can get. :(

#OscarsSoWhite

@tinman

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Invisible Fan