1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ali controversy swept under the rug??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Old School, Dec 21, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Old School

Old School Member

I bet Dan Issel wishes he was cut this type of slack. I haven't heard any mention of this.

From the Louisville Courier Journal:

But Ali still occasionally displays his penchant for making controversial remarks.

During a party for the Washington benefit earlier this week, Ali took the microphone and told two ethnic jokes.

''What's the difference between a Jew and a canoe?'' he asked the crowd over his wife's audible objections, the Washington Post reported.

The punch line: ''A canoe tips!''

Ali Center spokeswoman Sue Carls said he was trying to lighten a situation that seemed overly reverent. Ali didn't mean to offend anyone and ''doesn't have a bigoted bone in his body,'' she said.

Though such remarks may seem inconsistent with one of the Ali Center's missions -- promoting appreciation of different cultures -- Lonnie Ali said that ''even The Greatest can tell bad jokes.''

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I heard about that. That was pretty awful. I think that the fact that he actually was able to speak an entire sentence with his disability may have been news all by itself.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The difference is the context. While these remarks were in bad taste, Issel's were in a demeaning form.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Agreed. On top of that, I look at the source. If I had been hit in the head as many times as Ali, I'd probably be telling Jewish jokes as well...and I'm Jewish!

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

It is because he isnt white. White people are persecuted for racist comments 100 times more than minorities.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Riiiiiiigt.

Are you too big of a moron to realize that a tasteless joke about a Jewish person is a little different than saying, "****ing piece of **** Jews don't tip?"

Also, cry me a freakin' river. When we white people in this country have to deal with a past that includes lynching and genocide, then I might listen you your idiotic arguments.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The joke is worse, because it was calculated. Issel's was heat of the moment.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, the heat of the moment is when you let your guard down and say things you really feel but know you probably shouldn't share them because you'll look like the racist ******* you are.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You must be the only person on earth who's never said something they didn't mean.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Who were you replying to?

11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I heard the same joke when I was a waiter in college, only it was "what's the difference between a black man and a canoe? A canoe tips." Do you think that is racist or not? If it is (it is) then its just as racist no matter what race the speaker is. Racism is not the exclusive domain of white people. To imply so is not just silly, it is a major barrier to ever addressing racism as a whole.

And just because you are Jewish doesn't mean you can excuse a racist statement/joke because you personally choose not to be offended, any more than a so-called 'Uncle Tom' could excuse the racism against Afro-American slaves.

AND if you'll look at American history, you'll see that many of the WHITE immigrants were fleeing persecution (take the Irish for example) including lynchings and mass murder.

It is NOT ok for a black man to be a racist any more than it is for white man to be racist. To excuse examples like these is to ensure polarization (and why wouldn't it be reasonable for whites to resent it and say "if I said that my ass would be toast"). Just as Ali once said 'Ain't no VietCong ever called me ******'...many whites say "Uh, I never owned a plantation, I never was a member of the Klan, and I sure as hell shouldn't be held to a different standard than anybody else." Think about it.

I do also find it interesting that ****** is automatically asterix'd out even though I'm directly quoting the words of a black icon.

#11 HayesStreet, Dec 21, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2001
  12. red

red Contributing Member

**** **** ******* ** **** ******!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rocketman95,

You SAW racism personally? Wow !! How old are you?

Look EVERYONE has been persecuted at some point in their families history, we have all been conquered and enslaved, Romans, Jews, Africans, Arabs, etc..etc..

I am sick and tired of people whining about slavery in this country, or how we treated the poor Indians.

WTF, that was over 100 years ago, I was not even close to being alive back then.

Get over it, deal in the NOW !!!

Racism exists for ignorant people of all races, it is wrong and it is pathetic, but I just ignore those people, and move on.

DaDakota - 1/4 American Indian by the way.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's easy for you to say "Move on and ignore those people", some people can't ignore it because they're a victim of it. There are still idiots that hate someone because of the color of their skins, or won't give them a job because of their skin color, or look down at your because of your skin color. Trust me, I know. And know slavery isn't the reason for these happening, and I don't even think of slavery when this crap happens.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Damn DaDakota, you're that ****ing naive? You really don't think racism exists? Ask my friend Tannon who was one of the top people in our class, and on the way to a basketball game our senior year, was told by his coach to pay attention while driving through Hempstead because that's where he was probably going to live one day?

And I'm sure you've been the targets of many racist insults seeing how you're a white middle-class male.

Also, my kid's shouldn't give a **** about the WTC because it didn't happen when they were alive? That's some idiotic bull**** right there. But according to you, since it didn't affect them personally or happened while they were alive, it shouldn't matter. Screw those patriots who died at Pearl Harbor, I was 35 years away from being born.

Have you not heard all the outcry towards people like Farakahn (sp?)? He says racist stuff all the time, and he's lambasted. Most hateful people are. To compare what Ali said to what Issel said is just plain stupid. Issel used a man's ethnicity in a derogatory way. Ali said a tasteless joke. A little different.

And I'm 0% African-American, and I can still empathize.

BTW, TheFreak, of course I have. I also haven't been in a position like Issel. I don't think the man should be fired, but I didn't think his comments should've been ignored either. They're much worse than what Ali said.

16. Master Baiter

Blah blah blah

I get so tired about hearing about what happened in the past. Every race has a past that sucks, some worst than others. Everybody know what happened to the jews and blacks and indians and every other race. It was terrible. Unfortunately it happened. For racism to go away, and I dont think it ever will, the past is going to have to be put where it is, in the past. The races are going to have to stop segregating themselves. There has to not be a double stanard for the races anymore. A black guy can call another black guy a ******. A white guy cant. The word is exactly the same no matter who says it. How is it that there can be a BET and Latino Grammy's? What would people think about Caucasion Entertainment Television or the White People Grammy's? I think it is also stupid to say that you are an Irish American or German American or whatever. My mom is full blooded Czech. She isnt a Czech American and neither am I. I am an American. Thats it. So why is it that we have to devide ourselves up and put labels on each other. It only promotes division. And that isnt to say that I dont think it is great to know your roots and where you are from.
    To get back to the original topic, Ali made a stupid statement. So did Issel. To the media and some people, Issel made racist remarks and people were calling for his head. Ali made a "tasteless joke." No big deal. You dont hear anything in the media about it. I just feel that it is easy to make white people look bad with remarks because we are the majority and we dont know what it is like to be persecuted. Minorities make comments and it isnt a problem because they are a minority.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Of course I can empathize, but that is not the point.

The point is that people should let racism die out on its own. You can not legislate racism, or anti racism.

For example, if a white guy owned a company and only wanted to hire white people regardless of the qualifications, who is to say he should not be allowed to do it?

If you compare this guy with a person who hires the best person regardless of race, which company do you think is going to win in the end?

That's right, the guy who hires the best qualified person.

Look at Spike Lee he only hires black people for his movies, is that right? No, it isn't, it is disgraceful.

Let nature take its course, I know racism exists, but it is not part of my life, and it I will not give it the time of day.

Racism is wrong and ignorant, and people who are racist are also wrong and ignorant.

Just let it die a natural death.

Think of it this way, what about the people who are asking for reprecussions because their anscestors were slaves here? That is RIDICULOUS !!! It was over 130 years ago !! And the American Indians? They were conquered defeated, we don't owe them squat.

Tolerance is key, treat all people equal, and the rest will sort itself out.

DaDakota

18. Master Baiter

What about the jobs that less qualified minorities get because companies have to meet quota's? What about college scholarships that are just for a certain minority? Shouldnt it go to the most deserving student? I already know the answers to these questions though, its different. If we didnt have these laws then whitey would take over and repress the minorities by not giving them educations and jobs.

19. Master Baiter

DaDakota,

You have been one step ahead of me every time.

20. Old School

Old School Member

Only Barkley is allowed to get away with that kinda stuff.

OS