1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alexander: I thought it [getting DH] was more important two months ago than today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, Aug 10, 2012.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

"I thought it was more important two months ago than today," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said of the pursuit of a trade for a franchise star.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockets-set-move-forward-without-084017439--nba.html

Rockets set to move forward without star they sought
    By The Sports Xchange | The SportsXchange – 11 hours ago Email

The Houston Rockets' goal was and is to land a signature star. They have retooled their roster, including the move to get the Raptors' first-round pick, with that kind of major acquisition in mind.
    They even had acquired their collection of first-round picks to facilitate a deal.

As much as the Rockets' top priority has not changed, they no longer view that longshot, however, as their all or nothing plan.

"I thought it was more important two months ago than today," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said of the pursuit of a trade for a franchise star. "After you watch Jeremy Lamb play, and you watch Terrence Jones play and (Donatas) Motiejunas play and Royce White play, and (Chandler) Parsons is really good, we add Jeremy Lin and it (the major trade) is important, but it's not as ultra-important as I thought it was."

The Rockets' confidence in their young players would soften the blow if they have to go into the season without the dramatic addition they have sought. Once the season begins, however, they know that playing so many young players will be rough.

The Rockets have four rookie first-round picks plus last season's second-round pick, Chandler Parsons. Even free agent additions Lin and Omer Asik have little experience.

"You for sure get a lot of ups and downs," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "What you get with veterans is more consistent play. That's a good thing when it's a bunch of All-Stars with consistent play. It's not as good a thing in the league when it's players not of that level with consistent play.

"We're going to have stretches when we play great. We're going to have stretches when we don't play well at all. We like overall where it's leading us this next season."

They might like where it will lead -- with the major move always a possibility given their cap space and young assets -- but it could be difficult to get there.

"It was very risky and very hard to do," Alexander said. "It worked out in our favor, thank God. We changed the team completely from last year. It's almost a whole new team. You can see in summer league how good the young guys are. I think the future is really, really good."

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

We overrate our players too much. I was watching a Nets SL game and Adam Morrison was the best player on the court. Donatas and T. Jones can outrebound all the SL players, but can they do that against OKC and Los Angeles? I don't think it'll be as smooth a transition as you guys think it'll be. Especially for Royce White, who appears to have a broken off/on switch.

4. valorita

valorita Member

Dwight is a top 3 player in his prime.

None of the rookies or new comers will ever achieve that status.

Lamb looks like he could be a 20 ppg scorer.
    DMo looks like he can be a 3rd best player on a good team.
    Jones and White are solid role player / change of pace guys
    Lin can hopefully become a top 10 pg

Even if all these guys pan out to their max potential, I'd still trade them for Dwight in a heartbeat.

I dunno what KoolAid Les is sipping these days.

5. Zfan

Zfan Member

Les is right. The team plan changes every month. What 2 months ago doesn't matter today.

6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

He then later added: "Buy your season tickets today!"

1 person likes this.
  7. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

It doesnt matter if Dwight is a top 3 player...Houston was not in his plans...he would of just left

8. liveguy

liveguy Member

Okay.....so you're a Dwight fan.

The laker bus is waiting for you.

Rox have no shot and will never be nothing.

Cool.

You get ur DH laker jersey yet?

2 people like this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Way too predictable *Yawn*

10. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Must be nice having a crystal ball.

1 person likes this.
  11. geekSnake

geekSnake Member

what Le$ really meant,, Lin is going to bring in as much $$ as Howard would, if not a lot more =P

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Not a word about Morris. :eek:

13. liveguy

liveguy Member

Lol.... This too.

14. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

He's done. White is going to take the rest of the SF minutes.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Almost sounds like what i have been preaching for the past two months.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He'll have at least one more chance in camp. After that, oh well.

17. liveguy

liveguy Member

Les bow'd down man.

He just wanted something to ensure income stream during the growing pain process (Lin)

Now that he got that, he good.

"Morey....do your thing" (c) Leslie

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

White is a 4 all day every day.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

To me it's pretty simple this year:

Root for Lamb to destroy Aaron Afflalo in numbers.
    Root for Dwight to get injured (yes I will stoop to that level for him).
    Root for Orlando to "lose" the draft lottery.
    Oh yeah, root for New York to underperform, but that's par for the course, it's almost guaranteed to happen.

That's about it as far as other teams are concerned for me. Beyond that, you hope our players develop well this year but the fact of the matter is our franchise player is still not yet on the roster.

20. Arthurprescott2

What else is Les supposed to say? He said the only things he could say and still sell tickets.