1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Rodriguez tested postive for Steroids

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Legend Killer, Feb 7, 2009.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd much rather see a season's worth of well pitched, well played 5-3 type games than a season's worth of 11-10 slugfests.

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

same here.. and I find "pitchers' duel" much more exciting than a hitters' long-ball exhibition..

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Baseball is a joke
    Jose Canseco is the most HONEST GUY in Baseball

hahahaha
    [​IMG]

4. thunderclap

thunderclap Member

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if Ichiro is roided up, too. I heard he hits lots of homeruns during batting practice. Dude should be called Ichiroid.

5. TheRocketShow24

I always knew A-Roids roided it up. I never liked him, and this is a greater reason to hate on him.

6. TheBigAristotle

Yeah, it's definitely big-time irony. People like Canseco make me sick, but I'll be damned if the guy didn't help bring to light the steroid scandal.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is great news

For John Mccain

8. tulexan

tulexan Member

Not really surprised by any steroid allegations anymore. Though it would really hurt if it came out that Griffey Jr. was on steroids. I don't think he did, but that one would hurt.

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm not surprised but I don't think it should affect A-rod's and Bond's career.

Fact is more and more people are being accused of roiding it up, that its almost an even playing field out there given how almost everyone is juiced. Their records shouldn't have an asterisk over them, but appreciation for what they're doing out there should be diminished compared to the previous record holders.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

HR numbers have been down over the last 3-5 seasons. Attendance has never been higher.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I guess Joe Torre (and some of us) always knew that A-Rod was a fraud in the first place... ;)

Torre revealed A-Rod was called A-Fraud, had a single white woman fetish, and an obsession with Jeter's intangibles.

12. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

A-Roid admits it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

His voice shaking at times, Alex Rodriguez met head-on allegations that he tested positive for steroids six years ago, telling ESPN on Monday that he did take performance-enhancing drugs while playing for the Texas Rangers during a three-year period beginning in 2001.

Rodriguez
    "When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an interview in Miami Beach, Fla. "Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful."

Rodriguez's admission comes 48 hours after Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, the year when Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed in the sport.

Sources who know about the testing results told SI that Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and Primobolan, an anabolic steroid. In his ESPN interview, Rodriguez said he did not know exactly which substance or substances he had taken. In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

"I am sorry for my Texas years," the New York Yankees third baseman said. "I apologize to the fans of Texas."

Rodriguez, who joined the Yankees for the 2004 season after a trade from Texas, said "all my years in New York have been clean." He also said it felt good to be honest about what he's done in the past.

"The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball [back] to where it needs to be," he said.

Rodriguez said he was told by Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the MLB Players' Association, that he might, or might not, have tested positive in the 2003 survey. A source told ESPN on Saturday that Rodriguez knew he had failed the test.

"I had never heard anything since," he said. "Whatever I was experimenting with in Texas might have been OK."

Rodriguez also said of his 2007 interview with Katie Couric on "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, I wasn't being truthful with myself. How could I be truthful with Katie Couric or CBS?"

13. MadMax

Numbers look pretty comparable between his years with the Rangers and his years with the Yankees. I have no idea what to do with this in personally evaluating this in terms of what numbers are "real" and what numbers are "fake." I'm fine with baseball taking a zero tolerance approach...but just looking at it personally, I don't know how to correlate the performance enhancing substance with an enhancement in his performance on the field.

By the way, I really really don't like A-Rod.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im guessing Roger is sitting back and thinking "f^%$, I should have followed ARods approach to this".

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Steroid era is the most overblown thing on Sports these days. I don't blame these players.

But A-Rod looked like he was going to cry in the interview.

16. MadMax

That's the view-from-30,000-feet to the point I made, above. I have no idea if it's overblown or not really...but in this case I can't see a correlation between the performance enhancing drugs and actualy enhanced performance.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

That was a good post.

I think it would be easy to criticize players if MLB tested for it and only a few players tested positive.

But MLB didn't have a rule against it and a lot of players were doing it. From a baseball plays perspective, if you see a guy doing something to help his career and make himself more money, most people would do the same thing.

18. tulexan

tulexan Member

MLB did have a rule against it, they just didn't test for it.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

If they took the rule serious they should of tested for it.

But they should name the other 103 players that isn't fair to A-Rod.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Only if you believe he truly stopped taking them in 2003. He has lied about it before, how do we know he is not lying now?