1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Jones unplugged

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by biff17, Apr 1, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

Nope. Pushing conspiracy theories isn’t the same thing as reporting the news.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

In real life I have never met anyone. I am sure there are those out there that do. He obviously has a following. Anyone following the guy for more than comic relief has a serious issue IMHO. I have listened to a few clips from him from time to time and all I do is laugh. He reminds me of the Coast to Coast AM radio people with the bigfoot and aliens. Earlier in my career when I worked the graveyard shift we would sometimes listen to the Coast to Coast guys after midnight and laugh our asses off.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Reporting news LOL, who does that anymore.

Jones gives his version of the news, so do the rest. Both sell **** and make money in the process.

dachuda86 and cml750 like this.
  4. cml750

cml750 Member

You do have a point. The media is all about pushing narratives rather than reporting the news these days although Alex Jones takes it to a whole other level. The only one even close to Jones would be Maddow and even she is light years behind him.

dachuda86 and ipaman like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In high school, I was a junior and liked this girl who was a senior. I think she was also fond of me but she was already engaged (18 and engaged? Jee-zus), so off limits. ANYWAY, since I couldn't help but think of her wistfully, I cyber-stalked her many years later and saw, hey, she still looks good, but OH MY GOD! she had gone on-line to defend Alex Jones from criticism. I didn't think such people existed. Dodged a bullet on that one.

(Her "serious issue" would be Evangelism and mega-credulity.)

Um, the news is a horror story all around these days, it IS about ratings, but telling people Sandy Hook didn't happen, or that it was some sort of secret operation for Obama to get his gun control, or whatever, AND PEOPLE believing it, AND "oops! it was just psychosis on my part".............that's a whole new field of play.

mdrowe00, BaselineFade and RayRay10 like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. I think we should be making fun as much as possible to both him and the folks that take him seriously. We deserve entertainment.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I feel sad (not really) for the people who think Alex Jones and today's media are different. We are where we are because of people like you all.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Alex Jones is a pretty good example of what happens when people get stuck in an echo chamber that only serves to reinforce their worst impulses. Isolating people will do that, and the stress of it all has certainly seemed to have caught up with him making it even worse.

I must admit i'd love to see him sit down with someone else with the same conspiratorial nature and just see where it ends up, it'd go way beyond lizard people and frogs, and it'd be glorious.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is just false equivalency. Jones is a conspiracy theorist, which means he doesn't need truth or facts to push the stories he decides to push.

It's not the same and doing this discredits actual legit news. I get your argument, but when you throw a huge blanket over all media and compare them to Alex Jones you're discrediting truth itself. Why should anyone believe any news report ever in that case if they all are like Alex Jones?

Alex Jones is the worst of the news media and the unfortunate thing is that a lot of independent bloggers and 'journalists' do the same thing he does. Push wild conspiracy theories and call it news.

BaselineFade, quikkag and jcf like this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

People have the freedom to say what they want and to consume the news they want. They shouldn't believe anything in the news automatically anyways. Speaking of conspiracy theories, people are still pushing RussiaGate.

cml750 likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Real journalists might have their biases which shine through on what and how they report the news. But real journalists use real sources, they often try to get multiple sources to add robustness, they quote people, they fact check, they consider people's credibility, they are careful with their words to not claim too much, they submit to an editorial process, they take feedback and submit retractions when they're wrong. Alex Jones doesn't do any of that. I have more journalistic integrity in what I post on the bbs than whatever Jones is doing. These two things are not at all alike. Jones is more like Weekly World News than anything else. You'll scoff and say I have a naive understanding of MSM journalism these days. I'd say playing the cynic is the easiest thing in the world.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hey trumpsters, here's one you might really struggle to defend...

Buck Turgidson and KingCheetah like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sounds like the FBI needs to get involved. Crazy.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh they will.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I meant to start a thread on this but forgot -- you should because this definitely needs its own focus.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Conspirary theorist" is slightly different, but "conspiracy theory" is basically just a slur.

The official cause of 9/11 was a conspiracy, between 19 people at least, to commit illegal acts.
    The Oklahoma City bombing was officially a conspiracy.
    Columbine was officially a conspiracy.
    There is nothing wrong with a conspiracy theory per se.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Alex Jones makes conspiracy theorists look insane to normies. Who does that hurt and who does that benefit? The guy drags others down whether it is intentional or not. Recently he popped in on Crowder's recent filming in Austin, shouting and hollering, and you can just see Crowder trying to keep himself composed. Dude could easily be Cointelpro.

Yes some are insane but anyone suggesting even the tamest of theories gets labeled unfairly now.

#37 dachuda86, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. dmoneybangbang

Per se... sure.

But Alex Jones is a conspiracy theorists who profits off Sandy Hook, which did happen.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

So what? Let him profit off sandy hook. He should be able to say whatever he wants within the scope of our first amendment.

20. dmoneybangbang

Nope. We have libel laws that are for this type of thing.... you can stand on a street corner and say Sandy Hook were crisis actors but your ass gets sued when you start making money off of these type of lies.

Alex Jones is pond scum at best.

mdrowe00 likes this.