1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Barron runs a 4.83 40 yard dash

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 16, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He also had a 38-inch vertical jump, a 4.62 short shuttle which are UNBELIEVABLE numbers for 6-7, 320 pound man. He ran faster than Clarett. He has all the physical ingridents to be a Pro Bowl LT in the NFL. The Texans should draft him if he is available at 13. Screw Pace get this lineman.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#fsu

2. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

The link you provided said that he weighed in at 312 at his pro day. He was 320 at the combine. Regardless, that was very fast for a 300+ guy. I doubt the Texans will take though.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If he's still available at #13, I'm positive that the Texans will take him. With those numbers, the likeliness of him still being there is much less than it was.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'd be extremely surprised if we took an OL in the first round, especially a LT. Barron is good, but LT has a huge learning curve, so why put an inexperienced guy to protect Carr's blindside for the third time in four years. Wand improved last year, the interior line was the main problem.

5. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Here's the ESPN Insider Draft Player Profile, for what it's worth:

Strengths: Has tremendous upside because of his rare combination of size and athleticism. Has exceptional height and wingspan, and good bulk for his frame. He shows a quick set in pass protection. Rarely gets beat around the edge with pure speed. Shows balance and will rarely get caught on his heels. Really shuffles his feet well and stays under control in pass pro. Has long arms and does a very good job of forcing a wide arc from edge rushers. He is mammoth in the running game. Needs to be more physical and technically sound, but he is quick and has the feet to consistently get in position, and when he is in position he can simply engulf smaller defenders.

Weaknesses: Is still an unpolished player that lacks ideal game-experience for such a highly rated prospect. He is very athletic, but won't look it when he comes out of his stance high and plays too erect. He doesn't always take great angles and will do a poor job at times with his first step. He still needs to improve his hand-placement and overall awareness in pass pro. He is massive and has good overall strength, but still needs to play with more consistent leverage when anchoring and also needs to improve his upper body power. If he can get stronger up top and start jarring defenders with his hand punch, he can be dangerous as a pass blocking LOT in the NFL. He also has had some durability problems (knee and hand) in the past.

Overview: Barron redshirted in 2000 due to a torn ACL in his right knee. He saw limited time as a redshirt freshman in '01 due to a hand injury. He started five games as a sophomore in '02 and finally had a breakout season as a fulltime starter in his '03 junior season. Barron obviously had some injuries that thwarted his growth early on and he is not the most polished offensive tackle prospect in the '05 draft class. He also lacks a little bit of a mean streak and will need to become a more aggressive player in the NFL. However, he had his strongest season as a senior in '04 and his combination of size and athletic ability gives him the most upside of any senior OT in this draft class. Barron should be a mid-first round draft pick, and if he pushes himself at the next level he could develop into a perennial Pro Bowl LOT.

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

He weights 320lbs and has a 38 inch vertical? Thats not a man thats a freak.

7. benzman501

benzman501 Member

Since we did not get Pace, is it more likely we draft him?

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Those are some sick numbers. Wow, Im quite impressed. Regardless, I think the Texans will go in another direction with their first pick. However, I gotta say that this guy intrigues me with these ridiculous numbers.

I want the Texans to trade down and pick up a more picks.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While it is impressive, I can't see a 38 inch vertical doing much to help a left tackle.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hopefully Barron or Rolle will still be there at #13. If not, I say trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

He has the physical tools...now he just needs to learn the correct mechanics.

You can teach a guy good mechanics and form, you can't teach the sheer athleticism.

12. today

today Contributing Member

Stick him in at TE on the goaline, lol :D

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Any play that calls for a 320 pound left tackle to run 40 yards is probably ill conceived. - Josh Charles as Dan Rydell

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Yeah but you guys are forgetting about angling off those DBs carrying those interceptions back downfield. Speed will help there.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

With his numbers, and that write up, that's not really a bad idea at all.

16. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I dont understand why he doesnt slim down 20-30 lbs and play fullback or tightend. Most of these abilities are lost on his position.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Good left tackles make way, way more money than fullbacks. More than tight ends too.