1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alejandro Pérez: "Scola will return to the Rockets next season"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1510 Polk St, Jun 13, 2015.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

35. He still has some game left.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rox will (realistically) only be able to offer Vet Min. Unless Larry Legend allows an SnT The Ice Cream Man would be scooped by said Birdie with little financial difficulty from coming 'home'.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Has Morey or McHale said they are trading Jones, just curious?

4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Old enough to fap to.

As long as we don't expect him to score 20 or grab a bunch of boards, he'll be good veteran presence and emergency big.

5. kevtse

kevtse Member

I forgot why we cut Scola, anyone?

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I'm just glad at the prospects of getting a player who can make free throws and plays smart; its refreshing

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

We didn't cut Scola, we used our Amnesty on him (obtained via the latest CBA) to get the necessary capspace to trade for DH when he was still in Orlando.

To the posters who say we don't need him...y'all are crazy. Even if he is already 35 Scola is still good for 15-20 mins of action, he can provide instant scoring, vet presence and a very different look from our bigs up front. He also plays real hard and with a lot of heart and grit, if we get him, keep Bev and sign Lull you basically have a roster full of pitbulls who won't back down, that's the kind of team makeup that is infectious and can get everyone fired up.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That would be fantastic.

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Scola>Tjones

No joke.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

That's the thing, closer to being done than able to help the Rox get to the next level. Vet min maybe, anything more pass.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Even at 35 Scola knows how to play professional basketball, which is often times more than I can say for Jones and Smith.

Seems like he should be able to make more than the vet minimum, but I would love to have him as a backup to D-Mo. He averaged 17/11 per 36 last year.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

His numbers from last year look decent but I didn't see many Indy games. How did he look?

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Reminder in case anyone forgot: we first heard about this from CyberX back in April. So there's definitely some smoke here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9704497&highlight=scola#post9704497

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost. Yeah, Scola is still a solid player, but as a 35-year-old limited to about 20 minutes/night... it's not like his market is going to be substantially above the minimum. My hunch is that his market would be comparable to the one Shawn Marion found last summer, and he ended up taking the minimum to get to a place he really wanted.

Random sidenote: when the Pacers visited Houston in January, Scola was working like crazy on his corner threes before the game. Made a lot of them, too. Think he knows his ticket to potentially hanging around a couple extra years in the NBA could be extending his range a few more feet and becoming a big man that stretches the floor.

1 person likes this.
  14. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

He look ok ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Insert obligatory "He look OK" Scola pic..:grin:

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The Ice Cream Man coming back?

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

For the vet minimum, don't see why not.

1 person likes this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would really like to have Scola back. He would be great off the bench. He still has game. The only thing is not overpaying for him.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So bye bye Josh? Scola is done and provides nothing on defense. Do not understand this move

20. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I hope Smith leaves so we can bring back Scola...