1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ALDS start times

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by King of 40 Acres, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ratings within Cleveland blow away ratings within Houston.

Games on FS1 are not going to rate all that well on a national level, regardless of market, so they're banking on strong local viewership carrying the load... and at this point, Cleveland, Minnesota, NY and Boston all rate higher than Houston in local TV ratings.

Now, if you want to discuss why they can't air AL and NL games concurrently... that opens up a much better discussion. Starting games at 1pm on any non weekend, in this day-age, is archaic.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We've had 3 postseason appearances since 01, and MMP has consistently been hyped, even with weekday games.

I'm not concerned.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

2001 was not sold out either game... 2004/2005 had no mid-day weekday games (both years featured weekend games).

Basically, 2015 game 4 was the only mid-week/mid-day sell-out they can hang their hat on... but since its the most recent occurrence, lets just presume that's exactly how its going to be this time around.

Uprising likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

So pissed. Makes me wish we didnt have home field advantage lol.

Lucky red sox fans dont have to worry about the time of their home game because its saturday.

Btw @RasaqBoi its not creeper at all to go alone to a sports game haha. A lot of my friends are musicians who hate sports so I go alone to a lot of games.

Its always fun and a good time. Especially for baseball in a day game. It is part of the culture of baseball to go alone and bro it up with your neighbors drinking beer IMO.

Will probably be a lot of family men going to the astros game alone when their kids are at school and wife didnt think astros would be worth it to take off work.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its actually Sunday... and that would have set up a dilemma as there's a chance they're playing at the same time as the Texans are (SNF game).

I know plenty of season ticket holders for the Texans that are also the ones planning on going to the Astros playoff games. Ultimately, they'd all choose the Astros if they had to... but I'm sure there are some out there that would stick with the Texans.

Ultimately, there's enough people in Houston to fill both stadiums up concurrently... at least this way, nobody has to choose.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Well the schedule makers always do their homework. Im sure that this makes the most logistically.

Im speaking from the perspective of one fan that is dissapointed that he cant go to a home playoff game in the alds.

The holistic perspective on why this made the most sense logistically does nothing to alleviate my dissapointment lol

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree.

In the end, its a trade-off. Would you rather have Thursday-Friday games, or Sunday-Monday games?

Fridays have become glorified half-days in some fields... people always getting out early, or just taking a long weekend, and isn't much complaining on any sides. Monday, however, tends to be a brutal work-day all around. Still can't believe the 2015 game was at 11am... and was still a rabid crowd (some of that had to do with where the series was at that point...2-1 Astros, on the cusp of clinching).

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

I wanted to go Friday, there's no way my buddy can get off that early. Boo.

9. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Taking time off from work Thurs/Fri so that I can catch Games 1 and 2. Can't wait!

10. Buck Turgidson

What TV network?

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

FS1/MLBN

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

Is it on both? or just one and they havent decided yet?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thursday is MLBN (maybe Costas?)
    Rest are FS1

Apparently ALCS will go to Fox if the Yankees are in it... FS1 for everybody else.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Astros playoffs games are more hyped than the Rockets. Trust me.

Uprising likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I know I'm more hyped.

Trust me.

RasaqBoi and Uprising like this.
  16. theimpossibles1

I work nights so I guess I am the one guy who is happy about this.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Just to take a different side of the argument here - wouldn't the day times generally result in people who are bigger fans attending (i.e. willing to take off/leave work)?

18. Buck Turgidson

IIRC, '86 was all day games in the Dome. That worked out well.

19. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

This really sucks !!!!! Some of us have to work during the day !!!!!

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Considering my days off are Sunday and Monday....that would have been more than ideal. :(