1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aldridge Sweepstakes Update Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I still don't buy the "Aldridge interested in Lakers" stories. The Kobe contract albatross will delay the building of a good team for at least one year-- and at age 30 an one-year delay is quite substantial. Who knows how many seasons of high level performance Aldridge has left in his body?

When there are teams that are more ready to contend with him RIGHT NOW-- like SA and HOU and others-- chasing Aldridge, I just can't see him going to an "wait a year and see" situation.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If the lakers get Love and Aldridge they still won't make the playoffs in the west..

besides Portland who can they jump? OKC maybe the one seed this year and they missed the playoffs last year..

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lol they would. You are blind.

Portland falls back and Dallas could feasibly fall out.

Not to mention if a team or two lose one/two stars via injury.

Lakers would be significantly better.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I can see the Mavs missing out.

5. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

I hope we can get LMA. My gut is telling me we will not get him. We will see in the next few weeks.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Blind for thinking a team with two rookies, a non stud PG, an old SG that has barely played in 2 years and Aldridge playing out of position won't make the playoffs in the West?

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You are assuming that Love and Aldridge could actually play together. Ask any Portland fan whether LMA can play the 5...

That lineup simply wouldn't work.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Although I don't see LMA will end up in LA but I will hate to see him going there.

This is a market with rich history and huge resources, they have absolute advantage to attract big agents given other factors will be the same.

To give them any kind of hopes may not be a good idea.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...hink-tim-duncan-likely-return-19th-nba-season

10. malakas

malakas Member

Interesting...if they renounce green belinelli and joseph but keep splitter do they still have enough capspace to sign lma?

11. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

We Bima for that question.

12. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If they renounce everyone, keep Splitter and re-sign Manu and Duncan for $18 million or less (combined) they'd be at $51 million for 7 roster spots, not including a cap hold for Kawhi (or a re-signed Kawhi.)

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I think the more logical thinking will be :

trade splitter, play Duncan at 5, use Bayne to back him up and start LMA at 4, with Diaw to be the backup.

there are not many teams will have traditional C nowadays to bang in the middle nowadays, as it would be much easier for Duncan to play this position at this stage.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also, since teams are using more small lineups nowadays, having centers like Splitter, Boguts may not really help that much.

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Imo, they should keep green. Irreplaceable player for them.

17. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

Where is cyberx? He has not posted anything since this morning. I want to know what the Rockets are going to this free agency.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

He needs his thread open.

19. monkeypunk

monkeypunk Member

DAL yes, SAS, no. Spurs have his idol still playing at an advanced age and one of the best coaches in the history of the NBA. LMA has stated that he wants to play til he is old and the Spurs have proven that they manage minutes and extend careers better than most teams in the NBA. LMA can take over the reins from Timmy when he decides to hang them up and be the man given Kawhi's quiet nature. Also LMA's kid lives in SA so there is plenty to motivate him to SA. He may choose to go for a big market team like the Lakeshow or NY but if he is intent on coming back to TX, it's hard to argue that there is a better fit than SAS.

DAL isn't going anywhere anytime soon given the ever changing roster plus he would be playing behind Dirk, who even if he comes off the bench behind LMA, will still be finishing games. Dirk will still be playing 25 to 30 minutes at PF which doesn't leave many heavy minutes for LMA.

HOU has a lot of talent but from a coaching standpoint, they are behind SAS and DAL. From a 'LMA being the man" standpoint, HOU is behind SAS and DAL, since LMA would be below Harden and Dwight in the food chain.

20. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

I agree with everything you said except for the fact that LMA will be behind Howard. If LMA would come here we could make LMA the #2 option and have Howard be a Tyson Chandler role of rebounds and defense.