1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[alcoholism] aa anybody?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Oct 11, 2007.

1. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I'll just ditto Apollo and add a suggestion of watching The Cleaner as support...great stuff on addiction.

If you were able to get sober without loosing friends then I'm twice as proud of you, and of your friends. Sometimes one needs to change FRIENDS to get straight. I'm envious if you didn't have to.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Omega is a step skipper he skipped step 9. That's right! He never apologized to me for saying that I would stretch out the neck hole of his sweater.

Seriously, I'm glad to hear you are having success, and feeling better. Congrats on the anniversary and i hope there are many more.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  3. Isabel

Isabel Member

missed this thread the first time, but wanted to say Congratulations - those weren't easy steps to take, but it's good that it's working and you have a success story. Keep up the good fight!

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Ditto what Isabel said. Congrats on making a year!

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I too missed this thread the first time around, but wanted to offer my congratulations on your efforts. You're a good person and I hate the fact that you were in such a bad place for such a long time. You always seemed pretty happy when you were playing basketball, and I hope you are at a point where you can feel like that all the time.

I wish you all the best in your recovery, my friend.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  6. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Congrats bro...much respect.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

congratulations! wishing the best, mr. omegasupreme.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  8. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

congrats!

I went to the doc's last month and he told me my triglyceride levels in my blood is over 4 times the normal level (maybe cuz I had my blood test done the day after went to bar). It's mostly due to drinking. The doc also said I should go to AA. I am mostly a weekend binge drinker, but because of what he said, I've decided not to go out. I've been dry for a month now.

I think for me, it's more about being around the environment. I hardly drink alone, but I'll take around 7 shots and around 3 beers when I'm at a bar. I do have cravings, but I'm going to quit drinking like I quit smoking, cold turkey. We'll see how it goes.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

My mom was an alcoholic and I dodged her embarrassments from about age 9 to age 20. She got some help (not AA) and had a few minor relapses until her death a couple of years ago.

I went to a few COA (Children of Alcoholics Meetings) as a young father but didn't find it as helpful as moving halfway across the country.

I believe myself susceptible biologically so I'm pretty much a teetotaler. I can't remember when I last had a second drink.

Congratulations on your recognition of the problem and successful progress.

Nook and OmegaSupreme like this.
  10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I missed this thread WAY back.

Congratulations. Keep up the good work. Your WILL is your strength.

Your ex is cool.

You're a quitter and, contrary to what Fatty said, we like any quitter whose name doesn't start with Scottie Pippen. KUDOS.

And stop trickin' people with OLD THREADS! DAMN, I even posted on the TV thread. What a maroon.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Cograts OS

What works for some might not work for others. I hope that people can keep an openmind when it comes to various methods of recovery. It has been my experience that the right one always finds the one who honestly seeks it, if you are willing.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Wow...definitley an uphill battle, but sounds like you're committed...I do believe alcoholism is hereditary...Something you're not proud of but maybe by being open, you've potentially helped someone else out...

Keep the faith brother...

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good for you, OS. I really happy for you that you are defeating your demons. Very inspirational.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  14. xcharged

xcharged Member

Good luck, it's good you're taking care of this now.

my old man had a battle with the bottle too...and I've noticed that my tolerance level for alcohol is off the charts...so i tend to stay away.

He died @58 from esophageal perforations caused by alcohol.
    not exactly a peaceful way to go and seeing your dad bleed out in a hospital bed kinda sticks with a guy.

best of luck to you.

Newlin and OmegaSupreme like this.
  15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

bumperz. year seven today.

an apology/amend for the infraction is due for earlier this year, castor. ;) was a subject i was passionate about for obvious reasons.

anyhow, its been awhile since the last martini. :grin:

Nook, Rashmon and MadMax like this.
  16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Wow man. I don't know you and yet I feel incredibly proud of you. I'm so glad to hear you've stuck with it. Big congrats my friend.

1 person likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Congratulations. That is an epic accomplishment!

1 person likes this.
  18. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

always have thought about giving up alcohol not because I have a problem but just for health reasons / other reasons.

Congrats on making it 7 years. that's impressive.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Cool to hear man, congrats. I have definitely had my issues with it in the past but have kept it in check after a pretty serious wake-up call about 2 years ago. It runs in my family but I had to make some stiff personal rules about drinking and strictly follow them. It saved my butt, my liver and my life.

Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

thanks yonkers, bobrek, king, bäumer. means a lot. :)

pretty sure i would've been dead had i kept on that path. i've had a few friends pass that couldn't get a hold of this thing. can finally say that i'm where i want to be in life.