1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[alcoholism] aa anybody?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

glad you are getting help. best of luck

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

OS, as I posted on the first page, if you are able to skip a day of drinking without going into withdrawal, you are not an alcoholic (i.e. physically addicted) and are half-way there by just being able to "not drink."

Keep it up.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uhh, no its not.....
    You have the CHOICE to do or not do anything........
    Cancer is a disease, not alcoholism.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  4. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

you are misinformed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

When you are experiencing withdraw symptoms, then yes, it can be consider as a disease since you are physically depending on it. But till you truly are experiencing withdraw, it shouldn't be called a disease. You have control over it, you just chooses not to. Everyone has urges that's not healthy for us. But one thing that makes us human is our will power to control those urges.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

perfect quote. "alcohol... does what it does pretty damn well." addicted to a depressant while depressed? makes the slightest bit of sense. alcohol is the "perfect drug" (sorry for the nine inch nails reference). actually, the therapist and i talked about this for a short few mins. helps me to sleep, to cope with work, deal with family, and any other depressing thing that's going on in your life. simply put, it helps you forget and bypass anything melancholily significant in your life. like i said earlier... just helps to deal (cough... like prescribed drugs for depression... cough). i've grown tired of dealing, so it's time to try another route. then another route. after that a different route... and another, and another and so forth and so on.

btw... the alcoholism/hereditary argument thing is for d&d. my bad for mentioning it earlier.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Omega,

Glad to see that you are getting help - after what happened this past weekend, you need help in the worst way. Keep hanging in there, bro. And I know you have the incentive on your own to quit, but if you have time, google "Michael Clarke and alcohol". He was the original drummer for one of my all-time favorite groups in The Byrds. He was an alcoholic and before he died (alcoholism killed him), he wrote an essay about his life and alcohol. I found myself tearing up several times as I read that - pretty powerful message.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  8. OmegaSupreme

sorry for the bump.

one year today (noticed that this thread stopped a couple of days before hat last one/s).

it definitely feels weird, but i feel physically and mentally the best i have in a really long time. i haven't found out everything that caused me to drink the way that i did, but was thorough enough to find out a lot of things that may have (certainly there will be more to come).

still some "wrongs" to make right. i'm not necessarily running at break-neck speed (i really don't know what "break-neck speed" is or how that makes sense) to correct them, but i'm not moving at a glacial pace either. it's just a continuous process of correcting things at the time of infraction or shortly thereafter. some things several years ago or some things not several years ago that can't be fixed overnight, but putting forth the work.

not cured, but the obsession and even thoughts about it have subsided... for today anyway.

thank you all for being an outlet at the time. it did help. :)

btw... if anyone else thinks they have a problem (or knows somebody that does) and may need help... shoot me an email. tigercranestyle@gmail.com

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Good job Omega. Keep it up.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  10. Fatty FatBastard

Nobody likes a quitter.

#70 Fatty FatBastard, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
    OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Congratulations, and I hope there are many more healthy sober days to come.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  12. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Great job Omega!

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Congrats, man. Just reconnected with a friend yesterday who just got out of rehab less than a week ago. It's hard work, but in the end, totally worth it.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  14. OmegaSupreme

thx, guys and gals (meggo).

ima, i hope your friend went somewhere where there's some sort of program (any kind of program) involved rather than just detoxing. the real work is once he gets out. i wish him well.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

hey, omega...so happy you're getting help and it's going well!!! that's great news. you'll be in my prayers.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

That's really great OmegaSupreme, I hope you stay on track.

[​IMG]

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Good luck with your coninued sobriety.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Congrats buddy. Good to hear things are good. We're raising your TV well, he's starting to walk on his own now. :p In all seriousness, it's great to hear you're doing well. Are you going to the Rockets/Celtics game Nov 4th?

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Conratulations man! Keep it going, the road is rough but its worth it in the end

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Both of my parents are alcoholics. My mother got help about 20 years ago, my father has been spiraling downwards ever since.

Even though I know you in no way whatsoever, I'm proud of what you have accomplished.

OmegaSupreme likes this.