1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Albert Pujols gives Cardinals deadline to negotiate a new contract

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by djohn2o12, Jan 16, 2011.

1. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/report-...training-deadline-for-contract-extension.html

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If Carl Crawford just set the market rate....

then the St. Louis Cardinals can't afford Albert Pujols. Not if they want to field a team around him.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

It'd be a shame for them to lose Pujols, I wonder if they can afford a A-Roid like contract for him?

4. MadMax

See, "Rangers, Texas"

they can afford it...but they likely can't/won't afford that kind of contract and still be able to pay guys like Carpenter.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Sure would be nice to see a guy take a little less for the team. But I don't think I want that guy to be Pujols and that team to be the Cardinals.

So overpay and sink into mediocrity...anything to help the Astros' chances.

6. MadMax

honestly, i think i WANT them to sign him for ridiculous money....because their pitching staff is scarier than him (IMO)

7. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Cardinals fans have been freaking out about this since two summers ago. I spent that summer in the St. Louis area listening to caller after caller call in to their radio shows complaining that the two sides hadn't worked out a long-term deal yet.

At the time, I thought they were overreacting, but in hindsight, their worries were justified.

8. The Situation

The Situation Member

Chris Carpenter is going to be 36 this year....time to sell high and sign Pujols to a 8yr/200mil dollar contract

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If jason werth is making 18mil a year pujols deserves 30.