1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alabama passes near total abortion ban

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, May 15, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Uh, someone, somewhere in one of the quotes you posted mentioning late term abortions isn't, "someone in here bringing up late term abortion"

You starting this whole thread off with, "As a point of reference, in Alabama a doctor performing an abortion on a rape or incest victim will get a much longer sentence than someone that gets convicted of rape or incest..." that is someone, you, bringing up rape/incest..

Like I said, I don't think it's a good idea to outlaw abortions. I do think it's disingenuous of course for you to lead off this thread with the rape/incest issue because it is so rare.

BruceAndre likes this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

All while stepping on the rights of women

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

4. conquistador#11

Do you like playing coy? there are gop politicians, some that have had affairs, that consider ALL birth control the same as abortion.
    Leave it to the party of "small government" to want to control everything from a woman's body to muslim bans to which farm gets a free handout.
    Crazies.

There might as well be a law that a man who gets a woman pregnant and suggests an abortion should also face jail time. Many gop'ers would be headed to prison. Some need to get off this high horse were you claim a religion but do the exact opposite of Christ's will. Don't confuse your party's dystopian views with what Christ ACTUALLY stood for. It would be best if Church and Religion were separated as it was intended.

[​IMG]

CometsWin, Nook, pirc1 and 5 others like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean, is the argument here that pro-choice women are ugly???...I hope not...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I actually think it much more important that the lt. governor (big backer of the bill) said it versus someone on this discussion board. Backers of this ingeniously raise the "kill live babies" miss-truth as a justification for attacking Roe v Wade.

And you don't see the irony that a doctor performing an abortion on a victim of rape or incest gets a stiffer sentence than the guy that rapes or commits incest? While abortions for victims of rape or incest are not common, it does happen... and this law forces those woman to carry the child through birth.

CometsWin likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

No surprise your would post this...

8. HTM

HTM Member

Uh, someone on here said this, "As I pointed out, late-term abortions are also a tiny percentage, and partial birth abortions are illegal. So the bringing out those cases in favor of outlawing abortions must also be disingenuous, right?" - as if, I need to comment on it, when in fact, nobody had brought this up, there was no reason for me to discuss the genuineness of the argument.

You are the one who kicked the whole thing off with the disingenuous rape/incest take in the first sentence of the thread.

Obviously the vast vast majority of abortions have nothing to do with rape/incest and to always go right to that is disingenuous IMO. The vast majority are people choosing to have an abortion because of their irresponsible sexual behavior. That's the truth. I think they should be able to do that as a matter of public policy but I also think its a grave moral wrong and would never want that done with any fetus involving me.

The flippant nature with which someone discuss the topic on here is absolutely disgusting ("getting rid of a one month old group of cells"). It is an extremely sad and serious life event for these generally, very young, women that can and probably usually does effect them in a profound way the entirety of their life.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I cannot imagine a quicker way to get more people to vote Democrat once Roe is overturned.

biff17 likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Once Roe is overturned, that will send the issue to the 50 state legislatures for them to decide. Overturning Roe will not make abortion illegal. In fact some states would likely have abortion laws that are even more aggressively pro-abortion than anything on the books right now.

cml750 likes this.
  11. pirc1

I am talking about the swing states in the midwest, it will drive the Democrat votes like no other issue I bet. In the south it would not matter of course.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Ah the party of “small government” strikes again!

13. pirc1

Individual liberty for all, I personally does not care that much about this issue, but I love how the GOP is such a party of hypocrites.

14. NewRoxFan

We're already seeing states attempting to make abortion illegal (e.g, the very topic of this thread). Roe v. Wade is established law and ensures woman have choice and legal access to safe abortions.

[​IMG]

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Do you support a law that would outlaw vasectomies?

16. NewRoxFan

Again, no offense to people on this discussion board, but the words of the lt. governor of alabama are more important than any poster's here (including and especially mine).

And no, its not disingenuous to raise victims of rape and incest. In fact, its the most significant difference between this law and other abortion laws states have already put forth. Just look at the headline of the people.com reporting:

Young Rape and Incest Victims Would Be Unable to Get Abortions Under Sweeping New Alabama Ban
    https://people.com/politics/alabama-abortion-law-passes-no-exception-rape-incest/

And why did the people in Alabama not want to exclude rape and incest victim exceptions? Because they want to ban ALL abortions.

17. Major

Major Member

Agreed - the only effect will be making it difficult for poor people to get abortions, while rich people can still just travel to wherever they need to go. It's part of what makes laws and decisions like this so extraordinarily dumb.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Could you be anymore of a 48 year old White dude.

I could probably name the 3 brands of bourbon in your cabinet. Not to mention the color of your crocs...

BigM, DonnyMost, Nook and 2 others like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Small minded government, FTW!

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. Anticope

Anticope Member

The parallels between this issue and illegal immigration are pretty fascinating. Abortion, much like illegal immigration, has been on a downward trend for quite a while yet those on the right continue to treat both of these issues like epidemics in need of radical and immediate solutions. Banning abortion is such a nonsensical approach to solving this issue and everyone knows how this is going to go: it's going to result in both more children being born into poverty as well as a huge increase in the number of abortions performed on the black market, which are obviously much more dangerous to everyone involved than those performed legally.

Republicans need to be called out more for what they are: the party of absolute dog s**t ideas, and oftentimes these ideas are solutions to problems that they've over-sensationalized to begin with. They aren't pro-life, they don't care about ideas and policies that have actually been proven to reduce abortion, all they care about is pushing their fake moral superiority and shoving their garbage agendas down everyone's throat. #endrant