1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Jefferson is a BEAST......deserves some credit.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Feb 4, 2014.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I have never understood why a player like Al Jefferson gets very little attention. Is it merely because he was playing in Utah and now Charlotte? The guy puts up 30 points and 13 boards today and carries his team at Golden State.

The same thing happened to Millsap last year to the extent that he was only offered a 2 year contract. Yet players like Tyreke Evans gets 4 years 44 million. Explain that?

2. AFS

AFS Member

Everyone recognizes his offensive skill. He has a reputation for being a sieve on defense.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yes, actually. I think everybody knows about him and how he's pretty dominant on offense, but if you put him in a Lakers/Knicks/other big name team's uniform with some nationally televised games, I bet you'd hear a whole lot more about him in the media.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

one of the worst pick n roll big man defenders in the league

5. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

He deosnt have a very flashy game, he is like Timmy,but not as recognized and doesnt have the accolades.

He gets a bad rep cause he doesnt play defense,but from the games I've seen with Charlotte he has improved I think its due to the coaching Clifford turned that whole team around. Every player rotates and they communicate with one another on almost every possession and it seems to have rubbed off on him.

True his offense has carried the Cats,but that defense is what keeps them in games and its what wins them games unless Al goes off like he did tonight.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

We know he isn't the best defender but if you think this is the reason why he lacks the attention from masses you are barking up the wrong tree.

I am not trying to compare the 2 but Harden is arguably the worst defensive shooting guard in the NBA. He gets all the attention in the world. Sure he is a better player but the point i am making is that even players that stink at defense get their credit.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

He really is something else on offense. His defense sucks though, and I think that's part of it. Plus, he played for Minnesota, Utah, and now Charlotte. Never really part of any big markets OR winning teams. But he'd be a good 2nd option on a team I think. Always a fan of his.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And to think how many people thought Josh Smith was better than Al Jefferson...

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Part of me has always wondered how good he might have been had he never blown out his knee.

To his credit: unlike Bynum (another player that at one point came close to challenging top C in the league honors), he handled the career adversity well. Came back from injury and was able to sustain a productive career.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I mean Jefferson did get a 3 year 40.5 mill contract. Not anything to scoff at.

He has had his knee injury and big men with any knee issue are always a little risky. He is an undersized 5, which is the position it seems teams want to play him, and he has been known to be pretty bad @ defense, which is more important that a C be good at it than a SG (like Harden).

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He isn't great on D, but he plays hard on D. You can work with guys like that. He is similar to Scola in that regard.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Some guys just aren't winners. Al Jefferson is not a winner.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Funny how Charlotte is such a good defensive team in spite of Big Al. If I'm missing something, MKG is the only guy with a defensive reputation (Biyombo barely sees action).

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Al Jefferson pre Knee injury had an offensive arsenal similar to Hakeem. He was the best big in the game offensively at one point.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Jefferson reminds me of Randolph, very very solid PF, but wont ever get the national coverage because their games lack flash

16. arjun

arjun Member

you know why? because he's never done it in a playoff game.

the difference with a kevin love is...kevin love puts up these monster numbers almost every single game for the last few seasons..minus his injury riddled season last yr.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

what team does he play for again lol sorry I really don't know

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

The NBA has changed, its a guard league and outside players can be more flashy. You can also a excuse a guard for not being great on defense but a big man needs to dominate on D, he needs to rebound, and block shots. Also, his offensive moves aren't flashy. The same way a player with lots of D but no offense doesn't get much credit, Jefferson doesn't get much credit because he only plays offense. Jefferson would need to be on par with Melo on the offensive side to have more exposure and he isn't that but he is very good. He also looks very ho hum look about him and has the personality of paper mache.

By the way, I think it is a fair question. Thanks for posting.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They won't get any credit because their games lack wins. Forever known as the Shareef-Abdur Rahim rule. Big numbers on mediocre teams aren't taken seriously. 10 seasons, 2 playoff appearances, one of those was as a rookie reserve. Once Z-Bo started winning in Memphis he has gotten much praise.

Kevin Love has gotten credit (far too much IMO) because he has put up staggering numbers, 23 and 14 over the last 4 years.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He is a beast. Great fantasy pickup.

I remember he would always own Yao, seemed like it anyway.