1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Jefferson Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 1, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

When everyone is talking Dwight Howard the reality is he is not likely to come and if he does we have to strip our whole team to accommodate him. That means trading Asik for cap space and dumping Garcia and Delfino and maybe Lin. We will suffer at least next year if that happens. Plus I really like Asik and I think he fits in great with this squad. He doesn't require touches are complain. he just plays hard.

But we do need help in the post. Everyone talks about Josh Smith and then Milsap but my thought is we need a low post threat and Milsap and Josh smith or not but Jefferson is. He is almost a 19/9 for the last 6 years. He is the same age as those other guys and he commands double teams. We don't have any big on our team that will ever command double teams. He is not the best defensive player but IMO he is better than anyone we have now and you can get away with him not playing the best D when you put him next to Asik. Plus he can fill in for Asik and give us the best backup center in the league.

His glaring weakness is he is slow but he is not as slow as Zach Randolph and he gives you the same kind of game. Did I mention he is one of the best low post players in the league. By signing him we fill 2 of our most glaring weaknesses in 1 swoop. People always think of him as a center but he really is an old school PF playing out of position. He had to do that in Minny because of Kevin Love and he has to do it in Utah because Milsap is undersized and Favors is lighter and still not ready.

He brings us toughness on a team that could definitely use some. Asik and Milsap give us low post players equivalent to Memphis' Gasol and Zach. I know he is not the perfect free agent we were hoping for but he might the perfect for this team. Think about a 10 men rotation that includes Asik, Jefferson, Parsons, Harden, Lin, Beverly, Delfino, Greg Smith and one of our young PF's step up. That's a scary lineup especially all the young players who will have another year of experience.

I know Jefferson isn't the popular choice on this board. I didn't even give him much thought just because he isn't the best defender. But the more I think about it the more I feel he might be the best fit for this team. he just fills so many holes and he is a lot cheaper than Howard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7whiYt44_LM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

no thanks.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He's not good enough to push us over the hump. He would definitely make this team much better, but into that pretender zone. He's also going to be demanding a lot of money this offseason. I would rather save the space for a true superstar in free agency

4. arjun

arjun Member

Al Jefferson + Dwight..maybe. but Al Jefferson alone is not enough to push us over the top.

enough is enough, we need to relevant title contenders..no more "settling"

keep reaching for the fences.
    Morey is building a contender...not a 5th seed.

1 person likes this.
  5. liveguy

liveguy Member

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Big Al would fit great here with our Rockets. If we dont get Howard, Josh Smith and Jefferson should be targeted...

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

One thing I like about Al - 77% from the FT line. I am not looking forward to a season of watching DH brick more than half of 9+ FTA's per game. That's a real weakness of that guy, and I'm not sure I want him b/c of it.

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

How are Al's hands? I imagine pretty good. It might be nice to have him rolling to the basket instead of Asik at times. Get so tired of Asik fumbling those passes.

9. thekad

thekad Member

Pass on Dwight Howard for Al Jefferson? You should step away from the keyboard now.

10. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I see both sides of this. I think Al is someone that immediately answers the need at the 4, and I would be curious to see how much he demands. If we were able to get Al and CP3, I would love that combination.

Howard would be a great addition to this team, and I would love to see him in ketchup and mustard, but I am curious as to what the other options would look like. If we were able to get a great point guard and Al on the cheap, then I don't see how this doesn't make us lethal. I think Asik is worth holding on to over DHo if we can sign two needs at the power forward and point guard.

11. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I made a thread a while back of us going for J.Smith and Al Jefferson... I found great footage of Big Al eating up the heat and the thunder. In the end I feel that Morey and Mchale are going to talk and come to a consensus on what the team needs going forward and what the realities are... So excited for this offseason and next season

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Big al is garbage

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Were you born an idiot or did you just drop head first on a concrete floor as an infant? I never said Jefferson for Howard. Read again. ;)

14. Nook

Nook Member

Old Man Rock is just getting old and senile.

15. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

This is the part that makes you sound like an idiot.

Do explain....

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Al Jefferson is just like Martin.

Just like Fool's gold you are happy to it once you get it...until it is exposed as a fraud. Then you are trying to sell it away to some other schmuck.

Just see what Jazz fans have to say about Jefferson. For a player that is supposed to be so good you'd be surprised to find a Jazz fan that want's to keep him around.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not comfortable offering a major deal to a big who's such a poor defender. His post game will help us, sure, but overall what's his net contribution? And how often do we see players who put up great numbers on middling to bad teams, and then they go to a good team and they're garbage. Does Al Jefferson fall into that mold?

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

we do need a low post scorer. the team defense is pretty great overall as shown by the last few games of the playoffs. i think big al would fit in nicely to the team defense concept with some coaching and actual motivation resulting from playing for a contender. hes not the best man defender but i think some added motivation and coaching would make up for it

19. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

He'd be great for the team...If the price is right..I say sign him

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Don't like his defense and that has been more of the Rockets Achilles Heel than offense.