1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Jazeera America launches today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmc89, Aug 20, 2013.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

http://www.baltimoresun.com/enterta...era-american-matters-20130819,0,7400765.story

Current TV was bought by Al Jazeera back in January. Until now, this news broadcaster was only available in North America in very limited packages as "Al Jazeera English". Now, for the first time anyone with Current TV can watch a news channel that is leagues better than that trash on MSNBC, FOX, and CNN. I stopped watching cable news years ago, but this will be my go-to news channel when I'm at the gym.

That last bit about TWC has rumors of politics trying to shut out AJ because of its negative PR during the Bush years. Of course, that was BS. They've been hiring left and right like crazy all the talented people from NPR, BBC, etc.

Here is their new website for America:
    http://america.aljazeera.com/

And the international version (AJ English) that I always read:
    http://www.aljazeera.com/

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What do you think makes it better?

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Since Dish Network is carrying AJ, is there a way to legally opt out early on a Dish Network contract?

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Whenever I see their reporting on TV, they address the issues at a greater depth like BBC. Online, they are even better. I recommended the channel to various family and friends, and they all loved it including conservatives and liberals that wanted to get away from partisan/ratings-driven outlets like here with bimbos and men with great hair spouting news in a sensational and infotainment manner. The types of stories they cover are serious and more global whereas the news channels here are after tabloid or one-sided political coverage.

Here's a link where Ali Velshi elaborates what I mean by better journalism standards:

1 person likes this.
  5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

No idea. You should write and/or email DISH saying you are unhappy that that they are carrying Al Jazeera. Post it on your Twitter and Facebook or whatever social media to spread the word.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You keep that mind closed.

They got Soledad OBrien.

[​IMG]

How could you not watch that?

7. thumbs

Thanks. I have already followed your first suggestion. Unfortunately I neither tweet nor participate on Facebook.

8. thumbs

Too fat for my tastes.

9. Major

Major Member

They do a lot more "hard news" coverage, especially on the international side, as opposed to the fluff nonsense you get with the US networks (Trayvon Martin 24/7, political horseracing, etc). During a lot of the Arab Spring stuff, they had better on-the-ground reporting and a lot more in-depth coverage, from my understanding.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do you think Al-Jazeera is neutral and unbiased, considering their origin and funding?

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Like I said, keep that mind closed.

AroundTheWorld do you think FOX is neutral and unbiased, considering their origin and funding?

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Way to answer the question.

13. thumbs

I know you live in New York, but here in Houston, when there is a really bad smell outside like that of a skunk, we close the windows.

14. Major

Major Member

I know nothing about their funding, but from the limited amount I've seen of them, they appear far less biased than either MSNBC or FOX. The primary bias comes from the people they hire, and people like Solebad O'Brien are about as good hard news / limited bias types as you can get. From what I've seen of their on and off air hires so far, it seems like they are at least trying not to be biased. That said, my exposure to them thus far is pretty limited.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When I read the thread title I thought we were under terrorist attack again.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I haven't watched it much, but I have read most people's opinion on it. We don't have it on the hotel TVs in Europe, like CNN. When I am in the US, I don't watch it either.

I have watched Al Jazeera quite a bit, and while one can't detect bias all the time, I believe that one sometimes can. They are sponsored out of Qatar, I believe.

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, I read that Qatar is rather "friendly" with the Muslim Brotherhood.

E.g., here.

http://www.thenational.ae/thenation...h-the-muslim-brotherhood-affect-entire-region

The Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist organization. Qatar has ties to it. Qatar is behind Al-Jazeera.

Does Fox give money to David Duke?

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sometimes when it rains, we close the windows as well.

20. Nook

Nook Member

You know it brother. I was up on the roof with my rifle taking out taxi cabs left and right.