1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Horford on the market?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Would Jones + Papanikolaou + Terry (expiring) + NOP pick + Our future 1sts do it?

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Doubtful.

3. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Add Capela and our best 2014 2nd rounder.

If that won't do it then he can't be had.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

probably, but its really unlikely they're going to be trading him while in limbo

5. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Trade for Horford and then flip him for Aldridge.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

That would work from a salary standpoint.

IMO- the Hawks would only trade Horford if they were planning to blow it up and completely start rebuilding the team. If that happened, they would mainly want draft picks and young talent. An expiring contract like Terry's would be nice, but wouldn't be something they would go out of their way for.

That is why for us to have any chance, I think, we would need Atlanta to get off to a bad start to want to rebuild. We would need NOP to get off to a bad start so that their pick looks like it will be good, and we would need a couple of our young players to get off to a good, promising start (Jones, Papa, Johnson(?))

It just seems like there are too many if's that are needed to happen to make it realistic.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

Around the trade deadline. If they get new owners that are fine with going through a complete rebuild (another if...)

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

I love LMA. But I think Horford could fit this lineup every bit as well as LMA would. LMA, I think, will be more expensive than Horford as well.

This offseason, Morey didn't want to commit to a lineup of Beverley-Harden-Parsons-Jones-Howard.

But if we managed to pull off Beverley-Harden-Ariza-Horford-Howard...I would commit to and go to war with that lineup.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Portland isn't trading him and LMA isn't leaving. This isn't 2011.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Guys-

The Zack Lowe article states that he's "Guessing" Horford "could become available" ..... "this season".

It's just a guess guys.

I think its a long-shot that either him, Millsap, or maybe even someone like Gallinari come available, but my point with all the Rubio nonsense is that if there is even a chance one of these guys MIGHT come available, it behooves the Rockets to not jump on a deal like this that dumps all their assets when there is a chance hey could hit a much, much more impactful target in trades or free agency next Summer like this.

Look at the Rockets targets over the past 4 or 5 years -

-Gasol
    -Nene
    -Dwight (twice)
    -Granger
    -Melo (twice)
    -Bosh (twice)
    -Faried
    -CP3
    -and of course Lebron

See many PG's on that list other than the obvious CP3?

Given the way Morey churns through decent to good PG's year after year, I'm pretty sure he's more concerned with focusing on guys like Horford, Millsap, and elite wings at this point based on his past history of targets. Horford seems to make the most sense of everyone so its worth it too keep an eye out. However Horford is going to have a ton of suitors if his name does pop up, and there is no guarantee that the Rockets will even get a seat at the table with the lackluster assets they have this year to offer.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You commit to not complain about the bench or lack of it?:grin:

12. dje243

dje243 Member

No PAPA

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The best package I think we could put together would be Jones/DMo/Capela/Terry/Canaan/NOP 1st/Unprotected 2016. Don't know if that'd be good enough though.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not to be nitpicky but don't forget the gift that keeps on giving Jeremy Lin. Have that 2015 pick obligation going out which keeps the Rockets from being able to trade their 2016 pick.

Of all the mistakes Morey made this Summer, the premature Lin-jaculation might have the worst residual affect. Especially if the Rockets miss the playoffs this year, and that pick obligation carries over to the next year. Kinda like the T-Will pick, but worse. If the Rockets miss the playoffs this year, given the protection (or lack-therof) in 2016, the Lakers will have themselves a very, very valuable trade asset at the Rockets expense.

Best make sure the Rockets make the playoffs this year so they can get that nasty pick obligation off their books. I wanted Lin gone as much as anyone, but I'd much rather deal with another year of him on the books & giving irrational backup minutes than give up that pick prematurely.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We'd have H, H and H in H-town.

I'd trade any combination of players and picks but Bev, Harden, Ariza and Dwight for Howard. I absolutely rate Horford, even more than Bosh. If Morey was going all in with Bev-Harden-Parsons-Bosh-Howard in his dream scenario, then the line up of Bev- Harden-Ariza-Horford-Dwight is every bit as good and better than the earlier one.

Al is an elite 4 that plays very good D and can easily cover for Dwight at the 5 when Dwight sits down. Give me Horford over Rubio, Rondo or other PG's mentioned.

16. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I just want a new PF before the season starts..

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

Couldn't agree with this more.

I like Bev-Harden-Ariza-Horford-Howard

even more than I liked Bev-Harden-Parsons-Bosh-Howard

18. daytripper

daytripper Member

This.
    It was clearly stated the Hawks apparently wanted an unprotected pick for Horford meaning they are looking for a blue chip prospect in return. Don't see how the Rox could meet that demand. The Pellies pick, Capela, Jones, etc are nice chips but are not 'blue chip' assets.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

IMO, one of the keys to getting Horford is Papanikolaou. Atlanta doesn't have any talent at SF. If Kostas comes out of the gate like a madman, that could be a very positive development for us on the trade front.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I know I'm dreaming but if Atlanta go on a firesale we should sell the bank for Horford and KORVER.

Who is going to stop a Harden and Horford Pick n Pop with Dwight waiting for the alley 'oop and Korver and Ariza spotting up for the 3 ball.