1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ajc]Dream and Calvin helping Josh Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 13, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/2007/08/11/nbainsider_0812.html
    INSIDE THE NBA
    Working summer for Hawks' Smith

By SEKOU SMITH
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 08/12/07

Fourth-year Hawks forward Josh Smith has spent all but one of his 21 years living in his beloved Atlanta.

But as the Hawks' 2006-07 season wound down Smith realized that he needed a break. He needed somewhere else to regroup, recover and regenerate himself in time for the start of training camp Oct. 2.

So he bolted for Houston, where one of his agents, Brian Dyke, lives and helped him set up an offseason program.

Private workouts with a Hall of Famer, Calvin Murphy, and another sure-fire Hall of Famer, Hakeem Olajuwon, are just a part of what Smith's been up to since you saw him last.

Smith spoke with AJC Hawks beat writer Sekou Smith about his summer and several other matters as his summer winds down.

Q. Why Houston and not some other place? Los Angeles and Las Vegas seem to the new hot spots for NBA guys in the offseason.

A. I just wanted to get away and try something new, something that worked for me. For three years I've been working out in Atlanta in the offseason, and I just wanted to get away from Atlanta and [get] my focus right. Being here [in Houston] gives me a chance to try my best to stay focused on myself and be consistent. It's actually good for me. I don't know a lot of people out here and I can get around and do my own things and concentrate on my business.

Q. Was there something specific, in the way of a distraction, which made you try a new wrinkle this summer, or was it simply time for a change?

A. It's just something different, you know. But I like it. My dad has come out here and been here for a week at a time, just see how I'm doing, work out with me a little bit and even cook a little. But like I said, it was too many distractions in Atlanta. I wanted to get away and try and focus and be more ready for this upcoming season. One of my main things is I want to be more consistent.

Q. In what areas?

A. I wanted to be more consistent on my jump shot and my handle, and pretty much everything. Off the dribble stuff. Coming off screens. All the different things I'm going to be faced with during the season are things I wanted to work on, and I need to be ready.

Q. Did you devise a specific workout plan or talk to somebody that tried this isolated approach and decide to go with it or did you come up with this approach on your own?

A. I talked to different veterans and other guys throughout the whole season to get some ideas about when I should start back working out. You don't want to start working out too early or too late because you don't want to come back to training camp out of shape. You want to be ready to go when camp starts. And for the most part I've been working out by myself. Jamon Gordon and Eddie Griffin have been workout partners at times, but for the most part it's been just me. And that's the way I wanted it. I just wanted to get that individual attention and get my game better and be able to critique everything I do so I could try my best to perfect my game.

Q. So how did Calvin Murphy and Hakeem Olajuwon get involved?

A. Brian has known Hakeem for a while, and he just asked him if he could work me out. Brian already had a relationship with Calvin Murphy, so that's how that happened as well. I'll be honest, I really didn't know that much about Calvin Murphy before I got here. I mean, I knew he was a Hall of Famer and everything. I'll tell you what, he can still shoot the ball. And Hakeem, he's still light on his feet. He could still play some if he wanted to. The thing I like about both of those guys is that they're so humble. After all they've accomplished, they're just humble, down-to-earth guys.

Q. What specifically have you learned from them that you'll be able to use right now?

A. I'd be a fool to tell you all that [laughing]. They didn't teach me so I could tell everybody else about it. And if you want to know what I learned from [Olajuwon] just watch me play. But in general, [Murphy] just told me to take the stuff that I'm learning and put it to use in the game. He told me to be confident, that you can't ever back down. And you can't let yourself get down during those stretches when you're not playing well. One of the main things [Murphy] said was don't change your stroke, even if you're going through a tough shooting stretch. Don't change your shot ever. When you hear that from a Hall of Famer, it hits home.

Q. Should people expect to see a totally different Josh Smith than the one they've known?

A. I think that people are going to be surprised at how well my body and my game will look when I first come in. I wanted to stay at a certain size, a weight I was comfortable with. And I'm feeling more comfortable with my game offensively and defensively, than I ever have before. I'm at 235 [pounds] right now and I was like 245 or 240 part of last year and then I went down to 235. But I think that's all a part of your confidence. And when you have that in this game, I think the sky is the limit for you.

Q. With all the movement that's gone on in the Eastern Conference since the draft, do you think the roster you have right now is capable of making the top eight and fighting for a playoff berth?

A. I think if we come together and everybody knows what their role is and they abide by their roles we'll be there. If we do that and play together and play hard every night, I think we can slide in there and make the playoffs. But we have to be a team, a brotherhood. We have to all be joined together to do what we're trying to do.

Q. You've had your issues with [Hawks coach] Mike Woodson in the past. Have all those things been cleared up and are you certain that your working relationship is in good order for the start of the season?

A. I think it's fine. Woody and I are fine. I'm coming into training camp not worried about anything. I know I'm going to be more focused. Woody and I have talked through all our differences, and it just won't be an issue for the upcoming season. But I want to win so bad that I won't let anything stand in the way of that. Nothing gets in the way of winning.

2. Navman

Navman Member

I hate having to daydream about getting this guy in a Rockets uniform. He would be -outstanding- next to Yao. Very rarely have I seen athleticism, hops, and defensive tenacity in a player so young as Josh. I wish him all the best! :)

3. SmitingPurpleEm

He is known to have a bad attitude; he was suspended for a couple of games for disrespecting his coach. Not sure I want that kind of crap on the Rockets.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

man, a bunch of Rockets could have used Calvin's help on the jump shot last year. good for Josh Smith.

5. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

him and hakeem were at lifetime fitness in sugarland working out

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Anyone know how long Hakeem is staying in Houston for? For a while it seemed like he was content to just stay in Jordan except for his one Big Man Camp. But now he's helping everyone from Yao to that one high school kid on the Chronicle the other day:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/sports/hs/topstories/5017259.html

Anyhow, it's good to hear him back, the Rockets could probably improve if they had everyone over 6"9 take pointers from him. And we could throw Hayes in there just for fun, maybe he'll develop a shot, any shot please dear God.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Scola can learn a lot about rebounding,defense,and outside shooting from the Dream.

8. Sextuple Double

Are they helping him to force a Rafer Alston/Josh Smith trade!?

9. Navman

Navman Member

Sounds like your typical 20-21 yr old. Don't you remember those days or have they not arrived for you yet?

10. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Saw him play tonight at Fonde and he was stellar. The Scion TC's team is loaded at guard with TJ Ford, JLIII, Damon Stoudamire, but the game ball had to go to Smith, he made some of the most incredible power moves and slams it was so fun to watch. He played good D and hit the boards.....an all around player. Talked with him VERY briefly after the game and he seemd allright to me, no attitude at all....

He would be an amazing complement to Yao.

Hakeem working out Scola AND Yao would be terrific.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

yeah, seeing him at rox will be a dream, but we cant possible trade for him, he is easily the 2nd best player in hawks jersey. He is young and have a bright future, i do not see hawks would want any of the leftovers that we have.

But one more thing, he is a small forward, not a power forward, so theoretically he be standing beside Tmac and not Yao.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I have longed to see Smith in a Rockets Uni!! :p

13. ghost

ghost Member

I was at Fonde as well and some of Smith's dunks were sick. Scion should roll whomever they play in the final on Wednesday.

14. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

He usually lives in Houston for the summer and Amman for the rest of the year. So, I'm thinking that he leaves soon.

15. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Smith is going to be a very good player sometime in the next couple of years. Kind of like a more athletic Andrei Kirilenko.

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Do you think its tough for players who had half of fame careers and who just retired to stick around the game. Maybe thats why Dream visits only in the summer. It would be hard for me if I was a future hall of famer and knowing that I could probly still play. It would be too much temptation for me to stick around during the winter and spring.

17. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

I suppose that depends on whether or not Ron Artest shows up. He and Big Baby had quite a battle down low last week. He wasn't there last night but his team beat the unbeaten team with Michael Harris on it, so they are moving on.

Michael Harris is a small forward, but Josh Smith seems much bigger and much stronger. I don't see why he couldn't play power forward if Chuck can do it....He is much more athletic. Although Harris looked pretty good, every time they posted him up he was doubleteamed before he even touched the ball....He could be an interesting player if he makes the team.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

19. JamesC

JamesC Member

Every time he dunked I imagined having him in a Rocket uniform. I hope he puts on a show tomorrow.

20. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

I can't make the championship game, please leave an update here if you go. Ron Artest against Josh Smith would be pretty interesting to watch. You wouldn't think Artest is strong enough but after watching him with Glen Davis, he really is....Should be fun.