1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Bouye signs 5-year, $67M deal with Jaguars

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Oct 30, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Houston Chronicle reports six teams are "extremely competitive" for free agent CB A.J. Bouye.

Per reporter Aaron Wilson, the Texans, Titans, Jaguars, Colts, 49ers and Browns are duking it out for Bouye's services, and every team's offer is for at least $12 million per season. Bouye has also been linked to the Bucs and Bears. With that many clubs fighting, Bouye could push that number all the way to $14-$15 million. Wilson reports the Eagles are "not a serious player," but that Houston very much wants to keep its young corner.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Good to hear. If the Texans do not care if he stays in our division that means they don't think he is that great.

Also it could be Bouye's agent putting this out there to get Texans to pony up more dough so he doesn't go to division rival.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Would you rather get the highest paid free agent cornerback with the Texans defense or add the highest paid right tackle to the offense?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather pick a tackle and CB up in the draft and spend that money on locking up Nuk long term.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

;)
    [​IMG]

So Rick Wagner or AJ Bouye?

Need the OT, give me the OT. Bouye is more like a luxury than a "need" but I'd still like to keep him. Cut J-Jo? $500,000 in dead money; $6,406,250 in cap savings.

Do WHAT? and Nimo like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Agree. Let him go elsewhere and chase the money. Shore up the offense. Draft a corner.

I'm not upset, either way. Honestly.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yep. Give me Wagner. No brainer to me. This year's draft is deep for DBs and weak for tackles. Plus like you said, CB is a luxury.

I would like Bouye too but not at the expense of Joseph. We need one more year from him.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Is it that they dont want to overpay for him rather than if they care if he stays in the division? Its not like theyre trading him within the division. He has a free reign to choose wherever he goes.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With our defensive front, you can get away with middle tier DBs. Love Bouye but we can allocate funds to the OL where there is a need. He gone.

11. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

We should give all that money to Brock O

713 likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Think some of you are in for a surprise next year.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

713 likes this.
  14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

CB. Texans can dump Kareem and get a quality RT. Plus there likely too add in the draft.

15. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Adding to that is Kareem worth a 4th/5th rd pick?

16. justtxyank

Good. Joseph just had his healthiest season in awhile and was still playing banged up. It's hard to expect him to be healthy again next year and avoid father time. Jackson is nothing special outside of run support and Kevin Johnson showed promise but is coming off a broken foot.

AJ Bouye is one of the hardest workers on the team, routinely praised by the coaching staff for his work ethic. He just played like one of the best cover corners in the league. You keep those guys.

Our front seven is not a hell raising pass rush either.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

How? The Texans can have 0 quality RTs and 3 solid starting CBs or 1 quality RT and 2 quality CBs. This draft is strong with CBs and weak with tackles. Not to mention RTs are cheaper than CBs so the team has more cap space to play around with.

18. justtxyank

They can have both. They have plenty of cap flexibility if they want it.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans SHOULD franchise him.

Joseph and Cushing need paycuts.

Until proven otherwise, Johnson WILL get a season-ending injury (ditto Martin).

Jackson could be very good at SS..

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Interesting how the market has played out for him since I bet if you ask the casual Texans fan they wouldn't have even known who he was... I hope we can keep him but I don't know how its possible without some guys taking pay cuts