1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Bouye signs 5-year, $67M deal with Jaguars

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Oct 30, 2016.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not a bad idea. I would like to see AJ do this for another season before he gets paid. He's going to command about 10-12 million per year i think.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Bring him back . Everyone forgets that Kevin Johnson is coming back next year . Those two are a fine tandem at corner .

Maybe we can move Kareem to safety so he starts with his head turned looking at the QB .

Didn't we have another S that got hurt that was pretty good . Demps maybe ?

Johnson , bouye, Jackson, and demps is a perfectly fine starting Secondary . We would need to find quality depth tho

Zacatecas likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

We've been talking about Kareem moving to safety for like five years now. It seemed even more obvious back then but Wade/Van chose not to do it.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Just send Jackson game film of him getting targeted and being burned repeatedly this season, if that doesn't convince him to move to S, tell him that it's not an option.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There wasn't much talent at CB back then.

Now they have KJ and Bouye, with Joseph still around for nickel and depth packages.

Theyd be dumb not to consider it. He's not going to become a great cover corner at this point. He could not only be a good safety... but possibly an elite one.

Zacatecas likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

But also consider that they switched Hal to safety. And never mentioned Kareem switching. It looks like an obvious decision but coaches seem to disagree. Maybe I'm wrong though.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

FA Projection:

http://texanscap.com/2017/01/16/a-j-bouye-contract-projection/

awc713 likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That'll be a big chunk of our capspace

9. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Shouldn't be too bad next year. Could afford the cap hit by cutting Derek Newton and Chris Clark. I'd do it.

Zacatecas likes this.
  10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You gotta keep him. Kareem is regressing rapidly and JJo is getting old. AJ and Johnson should be the starters next season

Zacatecas likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think there is an easy answer on Bouye.

Broke out this year, but prior to that he was a guy who flashed but got burned a lot and was prone to PI. He's still prone to PI but was obviously much more consistent this year.

He's also had the same issue that JJO has in that he is regularly dealing with nagging injuries.

I like him and hope they keep him, but if the price is to steep for them to commit I won't blame them either.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I agree franchise tag him. He has earned the opportunity to get paid. But Texans have to be wary of a regression performance to the contract. If he keeps his level of play then give him a long term contract.

Regardless, he has earned a very nice contract for next season upwards of 13.7 million for CB's in 2016 figures.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Bouye...I really like the kid. He really came up this season after having to battle some injuries for a bit. Hope he gets his...deserves it after really having a nice season.

The Texans really need to evaluate the team's overall secondary. Can Kareem be converted into a FS? Can KJo stay healthy? JJo may have 1 more good year...Demps and Pleasant have played well at SS...tough decisions to be made.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think KJack would be SS. He's a really good tackler, not super fast. IMO

16. showa13

showa13 Member

I'm curious as to who the other potential franchise tag targets are on the team, cause AJ seems like a perfect candidate for franchising. I also agree that Kareem needs to move to safety cause he's become a liability at corner and we have 3 corners who are better at covering. I'm excited to see Kevin back because I think him and AJ are our CB's for the next few years if they keep up this play

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

About $13 mil for CB. QB, WR, and CB are the most expensive franchise tags. If they can work some kind of back-loaded deal out, that'd probably be better. I've been talking about the Texans moving Kareem to safety for like 5 years. I don't think its happening. My ideal (assuming they don't want to move Kareem) is to have our current top 4 CBs (hopefully Bouye and Johnson win the starting jobs in camp). Resign Demps to a short deal and draft a safety high in the draft. So the safeties will be Demps, rookie, Dillon, and Hal (if he makes the team). If the rookie is a player like Jabril Peppers there is the added benefit that he can play multiple spots as needed.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

JJo should be waived...he played the least amount of snaps in his career this year. It's only downhill from here for him. You never want to hold onto a guy too long. Now is the time to move on from him and use that money on Bouye.

I know it's popular to hate Kareem and talk about converting him...although that might be a good move, Kareem is still a decent CB. With Bouye, Kevin J, and Kareem, we have a formidable foundation at CB. You draft a S and a CB in the draft and that will be good enough to get you through next season.

19. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Franchising him might be the best option but that has to be a last resort. If AJ feels like he should be getting top end cornerback money and won't back off that stance give him the tag. As good as he was one year does not mean that. I really can't see him getting more than 4 year 36 mil.

Also if Jackson moves to safety, which he should, Texans will look to renegotiate that contract I'm sure of it. That or he gets cut the following year.

20. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

uh........