1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Bouye signs 5-year, $67M deal with Jaguars

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Major

Major Member

What? Backloaded contracts mean it's more likely the team cuts him in a few years to save money because they are a huge cap problem. In the NFL, front-loaded vs back-loaded is a huge thing. Many backloaded deals never reach their actual value. And Duane Brown's contract wasn't front-loaded. The average value of the deal was $8.9MM/yr and his final two years (this year and next) were each $9MM+. It was a pretty evenly spaced contract.

#421 Major, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    texian and Cannonball like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bouye is right on par with other ex-Texans who leave and become stars and/or champions.

TejasTom likes this.
  3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I meant more with the guaranteed money
    It depends on how much is being back loaded and how the guarantees are spread out. And evenly spaced contract makes it less likely that the player gets cut and less likely the players holds out, which is a win win situation. Front loading pretty much guarantees the player will be unhappy in a few years when lesser players are making more. Also, if you backload it heavily and the team wants out halfway through the contract... That player has made all his guaranteed money within a short 2-3 years, which is still a win. It all comes down to the guaranteed money... And if the Texans have an evenly spaced deal compared to a front loaded deal, I don't see why that would be an issue for Bouye. He's still going to make his money either way.

4. texian

texian Member

Which contract would you want for yourself?

Contract A:
    YR 1: $3M
    YR 2: $5M
    YR 3: $7M
    YR 4: $9M
    YR 5: $11M

Contract B:
    YR 1: $11M
    YR 2: $9M
    YR 3: $7M
    YR 4: $5M
    YR 5: $3M​

Note that these two money streams are not equally valued, even though the numbers add up to the same total. You value them at net present value, then you throw in some common sense as to other potential future likelihoods. Like what if the GM puts the team in a salary cap situation where they need to dump cap to meet league requirements... which contract is more likely to be dumped before the 2020 season?

Had the Texans been truly interested in retaining Bouye, they would not have lowballed him in 2016. And/or they would have been first with an offer, one that was competitive with the market.

Instead they laid back, letting other teams make offers while they did nothing. Then they offered him a isht structured contract. Those are declarative statements in business: You are not important to us. We don't value your services at the market rate.

A last minute offer was "increased" as a face-saving gesture so they could go to the public and say, "We offered him $Xxxxxxxxxx/year and he declined"... a chickenisht move.

Like I said, Rick had decided he was never going to sign Bouye to an multiyear contract. Don't ask me why.

And you can't say the Texans never front load contracts, because they front-loaded the heck out of Hopkins' contract.

5. Major

Major Member

Disagree. According to the article, Bouye got 5 years, $65 million, with $44 million in the first 3 years, and $26 million guaranteed. Texans offered $60MM, with $22MM guaranteed and had the least upfront. So let's estimate the following:

Jags:

Yr 1: $16MM (Guaranteed)
    Yr 2: $14MM ($12MM Guaranteed)
    Yr 3: $14MM
    Yr 4: $10MM
    Yr 5: $10MM

Texans:

Yr 1: $11MM (Guaranteed)
    Yr 2: $11MM (Guaranteed)
    Yr 3: $12MM
    Yr 4: $12MM
    Yr 5: $14MM

In the Texans' case, it's far more likely Bouye gets cut in Yr 4 or 5 and never sees a good chunk of value of the deal. If he got cut after 3 years, Jags paid him $44MM; Texans paid him $34MM. The Jags offer makes it (a) less likely that he gets cut since the late salaries are lower and (b) easier for him to sign with someone else and make up some of that money in yrs 4 & 5 if they do cut him.

Obviously the numbers are made up here, but the above is an example of the benefits of front-loading for a player. Unlike the NBA and MLB, the structure of NFL deals is huge because people get cut all the time - both for performance and cost reasons, so it's not always in the players' control.

#425 Major, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ok, I guess the disconnect here for me is that we know what Bouye's contract entails...

2017: 3 million base with 2 million bonus
    2018: 13 million base with 2 million bonus
    2019: 13 million base with 2 million bonus
    2020: 13 million base with 2 million bonus
    2021: 13 million base with 2 million bonus

His 26 million guarantee is paid out by the end of 2018...meaning the Jags can save cap money by cutting him prior to the 2019 season.

How is this a good deal for Bouye outside of the guarantee? In this case, it doesn't matter if it's front loaded or not bc it's all about the guarantee. He has to earn that 13 million either by playing at a high level or by staying healthy. If any of those doesn't happy, he loses out on the last 3 years of his deal. Also, 3 million dollar base in year one is not what I call "front loaded".

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When did AJ start playing QB?

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We aren't surprised but we spent a lot of money on Brock.

Don't worry, Rick will find a scrub to spend $60mil on

red5rocket likes this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Thinking about how good our secondary would be with AJ and Glover Quin just kills me. Really good DBs are not easy to find. I hate you Rick and Bob.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Glover Quin was let go under Rick and Kubiak.

Edit:
    Sorry, I read it wrong. I realized you meant Rick and McNair.

#431 Chilly_Pete, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Seems like the difference between between our team currently and what could have been if we just paid the good players we had...

.....is about tree fitty.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man...the Glover thing killed me at the time. Seemed like he was involved in so many big plays that last year with us. Made a lot of big stops.

red5rocket and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Glover is free after the season. Maybe Rick gets him back. Bouye leaving hurt a lot. Guy is probably the best cb in the NFL this season.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well that is the case for every NFL player once the guaranteed is all paid out. Ultimately he got more guaranteed than what we offered so that in itself is a huge factor regardless of how it's paid out. But as far as being front loaded, Bouye is being paid evenly throughout the contract vs. ballooning at the very end which is how most teams, especially the Texans like to structure things. Cushing's contract is the best example of this:

Base
    2014 $2,000,000
    2015 $4,000,000
    2016 $5,000,000
    2017 $7,220,000
    Potential Out
    2018 $7,250,000
    2019 $8,250,000

So while Cushing's $52M contract seemed very large, it was very unlikely that he was ever going to see the 2 largest years on his deal.
    His play would have to correspond accordingly on top of staying healthy. Bouye on the other had just needs to play consistently and stay healthy and the cap hit remains the same vs. it jumping like Cushings.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

thinking about how valuable he would have been on the Texans roster makes me sick, now I know how OKC fans feel about James Harden.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Bouye isn't here because J.Jo and Kareem have seniority.

Cushing is still here for the same reason.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Well at least we got Kevin Johnson right?;)

20. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I wish they valued skill and future as much as seniority then, because..... All of their time is up, and who's up next KJ? lol